Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Of this list I can say that these are at least worth a look:
-Unwanted Undead Adventurer has a pretty good manga, the art makes the whole thing feel really moody. Some of the later skills the MC shows get a bit silly, but look it's LitRPG/fantasy poo poo you know what you're signing up for.
-7th Loop. Good story with a cool FL who does poo poo. Has a problem of forgiving villains a bit too easily, but if you can get past that this story is cool.
-Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic. You are already healed.
-Weakest Tamer. Good manga but maaaaaaaan it take a while before it stops making GBS threads on the main character. YMMV.

Less hype about
-lvl 99 Villainess. Had some good gags but not enough that I'd go out of my way to recommend it. Not bad, but not stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Brutal Garcon posted:

Who ordered sequels for Tsukimichi or Banished From The Hero's Party? (I'll probably watch them as I watched the first series of both and it looks like a relatively slow season, but seriously...)

Me, right here :colbert:. Tsukimichi being animated fixed a lot of the issues with pacing and perspective shifts with its story and Banished has always been a hit for me since it has two cool leads who do cool stuff and are into each other.

I want S2 for Quittin' Heroing even though it's not really an isekai either

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Solo Leveling in particular will live and die by its fight scenes because its story is honestly just bad. I say this to everyone, but it's a weird story that feels less than the sum of its parts; the individual arcs are kinda fun but when you put them together they make no sense. I honestly don't understand the rabid following the original manhwa had. The art was fantastic but the story was derivative, the character were forgettable (if not by you then certainly by the plot) and more than a few plot hooks were just forgotten.

It's a shame the Returner's Magic adaptation was crap because that manhwa was actually pretty fun and the cast quickly grows on you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hell yeah.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, moonlit fantasy is garbage. I don't know what the director is thinking but starting off your season with a side quest that has nothing to do with the arc of the season is just wild. Then making the second episode two back to back generic isekai protag origin stories is just... I don't know. Then you make the 3rd episode a flashback to a different perspective of the end of the last season, managing to not drive the plot at all over the course of 1.5 hours of screentime.

Just, like, what is this director thinking? I looked at his list of work, and he's not a newbie, but this seems like incredible incompetence. I know for a fact the light novel is not like this, I just read it like a month or two ago. This is all directorial choices.

I figured they'd need to bite the bullet and how the other two isekai heroes' backstories since they become major antagonists but yeah, 3 eps is too much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

But that's doing an awful lot of novel scene framing rather than just transcription and I have no idea if it'd work well or not.

No you are correct that is exactly what they should have done. Hell, they basically cut the chaff for season 1 so I don't know why they pulled such a ham fisted strategy for S2.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Current updates on poo poo I'm watching:

-Slow Life Frontier Season 2 is finally clicking with me. I wish there was less focus on Ruti, but I am okay with the direction it's going. It's got a good mix of chill vibes and creeping threats.

-I am shocked how disappointing Solo Leveling is. Like I remember that the beginning wasn't the best, but I figured they'd crowbar it into something watchable. This is just painful, it's the most generic manhwa exposition crammed into anime format and it's insufferable. I was praising the fight scenes but after Shangri-La's EXCELLENT loving fights, I don't even think what they have is that impressive. And we're about a tenth of the way through this story.
Even more mind-boggling is that I have people on social media going NUTS over this adaptation and I cannot understand why. The manhwa doesn't even start to get good for another 20 chapters ffs. Do you get like free weed with each episode if you live in a certain region?

-Shangri-La Frontier on the other hand made a sick transition into anime format, it's good, it's funny and I'm having a great loving time. The current fight felt lengthy but never to the point where it felt like it was trying to pad the runtime. All the characters ar pretty likable, the heroes actually make plans, aces aces aces.

-Level 99 Boss is okay. The show sorta has one joke and hopefully other characters start doing other stuff because it's wearing a little thin.

-7th Time Loop starts with the main character jumping off the palace balcony, sticking the landing and continuing to motor. In the latest episode she rails some emergency meds to fight off the chemicals she was drugged with, picks open her cell door and then beats up like 10 dudes with a dagger to escape/ Yes obviously this is good.
Also if y'all are into dancing with pretty boys this show got you covered, there's a wholeass sequence for it.

-Unwanted Undead Adventurer sorta loses a little something because the original art style was so moody, but it's nevertheless a solid fantasy show. It's kinda nice when everyone is just like A Good Dude, though I may say that because my brain is thoroughly isekai-poisoned.

-Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is good and fun. Next few eps will make or break this show though because that's where the arc's major fight scene gonna start. spoiler: the black knight with glowing red eye sockets in the opening is in fact going to be a villain the protagonist fights.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Liked the Returners Magic adaptation better, maybe because it has a more rounded support cast, wheres Solo Leveling is well....very Solo and will continue to do so

Sadly I find Returner's animation to be cheap to the point of being unwatchable. It is absolutely a better story than SL tho.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

7th Loop is good y'all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1rc-OU37s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Slow Life Frontier has some obvious animation budget troubles, but this episode did deliver a satisfying beat down