Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The people who described it as horny harem Bleach are more-or-less exactly right. It's pretty harmless fun if you're into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am just here, praying that Sengoku Youku will be good. Satoshi Mizukami deserves at least one good anime adaptation, c'mon! :pray:

Technically, Planet With counts? It's an anime-original, but it's still pure Mizukami.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is a lightweight-but-entirely-competent fantasy adventure, if you want some decent modern isekai this season. Of course, how modern is modern? The current genre has been going for well over a decade - the Log Horizon anime, for example, started airing in October 2013.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Isekai really isn't the problem it's that we have some stuff being written animated that really none of it would be good. Like if this surge of content happened when Eva hit it big we had have a glut of bad Eva chase shows

The post-Madoka 'dark magical girl' trend was mostly pretty dire, even if GRANBELM was quite fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

There are a lot of good source materials that get adapted to an adequate standard. This season The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic and My Instant Death Ability Is Overpowered are both pretty promising source materials - I'll spoil slightly but this should all be first or second episode stuff.

The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is a fairly conventional fantasy setup about a pair of heroes summoned in desperate times to train with the kingdom's knights to fight the demon lord. And then the swerve - the story's going to spend most of its time with the background character who was also in the summoning circle, who gets dragged off to train with the medic corps. "the wrong way" is to recover yourself from the intense training regimen needed to be a goddamn paramedic ninja, and also possibly to fight non-lethally with the power of HEALING PUNCH to inflict shock but not trauma

I feel this is a significant misrepresentation. Ninjas have skill, stealth, and precision. Usato is basically just a big self-repairing ambulance that keeps ramming into people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Undead Adventurer, like many light novel adaptations, could cut out most of the internal narration far a snappier, more engaging experience. You've got a visual medium now, you don't have to tell us every little detail.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is The Usato Show, yes, but the 'real heroes' never stop being nice people and good friends who can kick major rear end. The main thing that happens in the manga is that (manga spoilers, obviously) Usato gets sent off on a lengthy solo adventure with a different cast of companions because sometimes if a kingdom's got three heroes, it needs to divide its forces. That said, Suzune is probably the main heroine and love interest of the story (out of a reasonably long list of candidates, admittedly), even if Usato never quite stops being mildly terrified of her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just looked ahead at a synopsis of Tales of Wedding Rings, and holy poo poo, the catgirl wife is the Princess of Needakitta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Mr.Villains Day Off is pretty alrite.

can relate to the day off energy

Or lack of energy, as the case may be.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

At one point people were using the term “native isekai” for those kinds of series, but the oxymoronic nature of the term provoked a backlash. Not sure what a better term is. Dorakue fantasy?

In general, if the setting has video game mechanics and/or capital-H Heroes and Demon Kings, it’s garbage.

Just call it Dragon Quest fantasy. Over half the time, that's literally and precisely what it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Supremezero posted:

It's hot SOMETHING wink wink nudge nudge

It's a hot mess (I say with the utmost affection).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Watched the first episode of Weakest Tamer, and... huh. I guess this is the one isekai show of the season that the staff decided to give 200% in adapting. poo poo's got actual cinematography.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

It makes sense to me in that it's "Rascal Does Not Dream of (story arc name)". Plenty worse out there and easy to call it Rascal for short.

C'mon, Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl is just hilariously bad localisation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sb hermit posted:

I do not condone dog kicking and so I will choose not to watch metallic rouge

Speaking as a certified dog lover, it was a deeply upsetting dog worthy of being kicked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sb hermit posted:

I guess that will be one anime that I won't be watching with my dog.

Depends how your dog feels about another dog reacting to being kicked by standing on its hind legs and turning into the Joker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hope they bring back the same staff. They adapted the hell out of S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think the 'wariness' of 3d is largely unfair and born from bad association. its not like people use, idk, marchen madchen as an excuse to think 2d anime is bad, but the more recent berserk anime is used as a reason to think 3d is bad. its a little unfortunate when so much good work is being done in the space. people mostly associate 3d with cost cutting instead of as a legitimate form of animation, when most of the shows that are using 3d as a cost-cutting measure, its not like theyd look good if they were 2D. if the recent berserk was 2d itd be 5 frames of animation per episode.

I think it doesn't help that one of the most famous 3D anime studios, Polygon, tends to do pretty ehh work (especially with their lighting and character animation) despite being in the game for a long time by this point.