Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I've never actually read sengoku youko but everything else by that guy is pretty good so I'm sure that has potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I havent seen the cake isekai, nor will i most likely, but I always got the impression that that was basically just ascendence of a bookworm but with baking instead of books, right down to the mentioned ironic death isekai-ing

I feel like as cool as cakes are they're a much less interesting thing to promote in a fantasy world compared to books and literacy. Sooo im not surprised that one didn't take off as much as bookworm. still, i'm all for more isekai protagonists getting buried by an avalanche of their personal obsession

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 2, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The first like, three to four episodes of dungeon meshi are probably going to be the weakest part of the show yeah

After that it'll just keep getting better

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

the first episode of sengoku youko was not terribly interesting

I'll try a few more eps because the source manga was made by the guy who did spirit circle, but i'd prefer they just adapt spirit circle

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly I think just here since I've never heard of them in casual conversations about anime before, even ones that go into the weeds.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of mizukami generally; i just think spirit circle specifically is an incredible manga. very cool worldbuilding and character work, reminds me a lot of cloud atlas or the years of rice and salt

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Bulma is kind of an outlier; there are a lot of female characters in dragon ball that get way less interesting after they get married. videl and android 18 for example

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

i don't think it's a mark of any hidden misogyny about dbz i think toriyama just forgets what to do with characters. chichi is kind of boring because he doesn't really have any ideas for how to work her in anywhere. android 17 is just kind of in the background because she had her arc and he doesn't know how to work her into anything new. bulma is cool because bulma's central thing gives her a natural inclination to continue being in on the action and he's kept a pretty consistent grip on what her thing is and how it's meant to contrast with everyone else. there are more forgotten older characters in dragonball at this point than there are ones people remember and the interesting thing about bulma is how she's maintained a central enough position in group dynamics to never slip down into there

Yeah that's true, it's not like tien shinhan ever got anything interesting to do after his last big moment in the cell saga

a lot of characters got a chance to shine again in super but.... not really him

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Fangz posted:

Is anyone who hasn't read the manga still watching Sengoku Youko? I'm enjoying it, but as someone who liked the manga, I feel as if I'm in the position of an anxious parent hoping a kid does well, and thus is unable to be objective.

I've repeatedly heard that it 'gets good eventually' and I'm willing to believe that on the strength of the author's other work

that said I may just wait until it has some episodes built up before watching them all, I'm not currently interested enough to follow week-to-week

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Clarste posted:

As a fan of the author's other works, I thought Sengoku Youko was kind of boring and dropped it at some point. Like, I wouldn't say it's bad or anything, it's just never becomes great in the way you might be hoping for.

Yeah, don't expect a spirit circle, got it

Even so I'm sure it does eventually get more interesting than the blandly-rote shonen monster hunting show it currently is

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was necessary to demonstrate that frieren isn't the world's strongest mage, or even the world's strongest elf mage.

it was also useful for establishing a bunch of characters with more staying power

I like this arc fine but I get why people might not. frieren basically has two modes and you don't have to like both of them; I think it's worth watching even if you only like one

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 2, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

haypliss posted:

I feel like the existence of the Costco thing proves there's a limit to the poignant flashback mode, though I could also point to the Sein flower episode as an actual example of how leaning on one story style can get corny. The variety of the arcs helps the show overall for me. It's not like the battle stuff is even just battles, you've got characters with conflicting philosophies on magic that are explored and stuff like the dungeon tableau that are just nice character/world moments.

And somehow I was so dismissive of this stuff in the manga, which has even less focus on the battles. Guess the anime is good huh.

yeah i'd say if anything that compared to an actual shonen anime the concentration, and more importantly the length, of battles in the frieren 'battle' arcs is really pretty low

im here for it either way, i personally have no problem with either thing frieren is. But I also watch shonen and imo frieren's battles have absolutely nothing on how one note and interminable that poo poo can get

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I probably wouldn't put frieren in third but dungeon meshi is great as expected and apothecary diaries is covering a part of the light novel that I like a lot. So they're all in the same ballpark currently imo

(The dungeon meshi manga is clearly better than the frieren manga imo, although I can't be specific about why that is. Frieren anime has been a big glowup of the source material)

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

dungeon meshi was already the best thing in winter season, even given frieren (and apparently bravern? havent seen it) existed, and it's continuing into spring

that alone justifies the season tbh