Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i watched a bunch of pvs tonight and flagged a bunch of stuff with potential and i'll probably watch the first ep or two of a bunch of stuff as usual but here's the stuff i'm really curious about:

dungeon meshi: duh

metallic rouge: bones doing a mech original

a sign of affection: really like the idea of a shoujo romance revolving around a hearing impaired college student

bucchigiri: the protag seems lame but the scenes of fights they showed look sick

sasaki and peeps: if an isekai is going to work for me, it'll be a setup like this one.

snack basue: this looks like, a comedy revolving around a bar and its strange patrons? the vibes were cool.

the way of pon: an original about a girl opening a mahjong parlor sounds up my alley

i think a sign of affection, snack basue, and sasaki and peeps are adaptations, if anyone's familiar with them lmk what you think of those. also continuing apothecary diaries, frieren, and slf. let's anime, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

oh the timetable page is a good replacement for senpai, thanks for this

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is good

ffta is one of the games i want to get remade/remastered because i almost think its plot is more interesting today than it was back then

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

winter shows are airing let's go

Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2: i really liked the first season after checking it out a few days ago - kind of turns the dorky anime slice-of-life romance on its head by using a glowup on the nerdy protag to explore the nature of social dynamics, self-improvement, and if there's an inherent tension between earnestly being yourself and being presentable. they used some contrived gaming metaphor to get there but it's a cool show. first ep of season 2 was more of that and it's one of the things i'm most excited about this season.

Ishura: i tried this because the pv had a dragon wielding a shotgun and i thought that was funny, i made it eight minutes. the first bits set up a relationship between two girls until one of them gets graphically ripped limb from limb by a rogue robot. all the rogue attacking robots get sliced in half by a sassy samurai guy in a track jacket. it looks bad and is trying to be dark without having the writing chops to back it up.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Lord Koth posted:

Gushing Over Magical Girls is airing on AT-X, which should be a giant blaring siren as to what kind of show it is, even if you missed someone earlier in the thread pointing it out already.

actually that makes me curious - what kind of networks air seasonal anime, do specific networks typically get certain types of shows, etc. know very little about how japanese tv works, about all i know about anime is most of it airs late at night.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

First ep of Dungeon Meshi is pretty good and funny.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah i was actually excited to watch that

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

theres english subs out there now from the SEA release. thank you singapore

show seems fine but not amazing. akagi gags are too low-hanging-fruit, some other stuff was funny

i too discovered these

yeah it seems okay but idk if i'm going to stick it out. soundtrack was off-puttingly bad also

other stuff i watched today

sasaki and peeps: bizarrely involved reverse isekai that has a middle-aged salaryman adopt a bird that's an isekaied sage from another world, then basically speedruns all the isekai poo poo so he can join the branch of the japanese government that handles psychics.

undead adventurer whatever: it's standard fuckin middling fantasy guildhall quest levels stuff but the guy's a skeleton now or whatever.

the demon prince of momochi house: a girl inherits a house haunted by yokai. the yokai all seem like shoujo romance archetypes to me.

these all seem fine but idk if i'll stick with any of them.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 5, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is wild

Haystack posted:

I liked Undead Adventurer! It's nothing revolutionary, but the manga is solid and the anime executed well on it.

yeah like it seems watchable but there wasn't really much there to hook me

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pan Dulce posted:

Does it get even more convoluted? In a fun way? Does it get uncomfortably weird with the girl?

also curious about these questions

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

watched the first ep of a sign of affection - yuki is a hearing-impaired college student who meets itsuomi, a charming polyglot world traveler

i loving loved this. incredibly charming, knows when to be funny and make goofy faces and when to lean into the romance, the concept was cool without being overly cloying, the style was great. this is at the top of the things i'm most excited to keep watching this season now.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

ive read a fair bit of the manga, its sweet. i like that the main girl is allowed to do standard shoujo heroine things like being goofily jealous instead of just being sweet deaf girl

yeah when i watched the pv i was worried that they'd do the latter but the first ep did a pretty good job of humanizing yuki and i'm happy to hear the manga keeps it up. really excited to see more of it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hell yeah new jack swing for anime ops

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

first ep of mr villain's day off was a low-key slice of life comedy about the days off of a tokusatsu villain. got a couple of chuckles from the bits, seems fine but nothing amazing

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah first ep of torture was good but how i feel about it really depends on where they go outside of the bit, if anywhere

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

i feel like every season some isekai airs that the same 3 goons are like 'yooo this ones Different' and then people watch it and go 'this is a generic isekai' and then it repeats

i pretty much wait for people who aren't on team isekai to say if an isekai is good

the thing that gets me is the generic fantasy stuff i usually try and it's still equally bad

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Waffleman_ posted:

That's because it's the same tropes

sometimes yeah

other times they just have bad production value, are leaning too hard on edginess when they don't have the writing chops to back that up, or both

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

speaking of good fantasy

the first ep of sengoku youko was cool. the world they're setting up is fun and i really liked the off-kilter vibe of everything. absolutely in for more of this.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i willed it into existence. praise be

thought we had another hour, is it up

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

unsurprisingly, metallic rouge seems great

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm ambivalent - the song is eh but it's a vibe that works for the show

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

be that as it may im fully along for the ride

yeah i think first episode impressions are that it seems cooler than forgettable but i absolutely sold it to a friend on the 90s-2000s anime vibe

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the first bit i took as rouge knew sarah had a habit of bringing in strays (they mention this off-hand earlier in the episode) and set it up so it looked like she was homeless and would tempt sarah to bring her in

second bit the red mecha has killed people before (they mention two other people who have died already) which kind of colors what's happening a bit

honestly though i get where you're coming from, because the entire thing feels like they made a concerted choice to drop midway into a story that's already happening and it's not entirely clear why they did this yet - i think there's some unreliable narrator stuff going on with rouge.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

yeah i feel like the anime lives or dies depending on how its plotline unravels. definitely sticking with it towards the end since it looks fantastic and the action scenes whipped rear end, but that's the dividing line between it making my top 5 AOTY or not

i was talking with a friend about it earlier and i literally said "this is either going to be my aoty or they gently caress up the plot later somehow, which will at least be entertaining"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don't think it's difficult to follow because it's starting in media res, I think it's difficult to follow because it's so dense.

think i agree with you that it isn't the primary reason but it is a contributing factor as it leads to them spending less time on exposition

also agree that imo they largely pull it off

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So The Witch and The Beast is... fun? It's alright. One of these anime that leaves me feeling like, if someone took these bones, tightened it up, polished the animation, this could be great. But as it is I think it's fine. Might stick with it, see where it goes.

yeah i watched about ten minutes of it now and it's not really grabbing me. cool concept but not vibing with it.

feel similarly about delusional monthly magazine - it's got kind of a fun vibe but the humor wasn't really landing for me and the setup is kind of all over the place. by the time the lazy guy turned into an anthropomorphic tiger i was out, but it's not terrible or anything.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

snack basue is a weird show about people hanging at a bar. was really digging the first half, had a good mix of that sort of fleeting sentimentality of bar conversation and some good comedy. i think i'd have liked it a lot if not for the second half revolving around the world's most insufferable incel guy - the comedy revolving around the hostesses barely being able to disguise their disgust for him is pretty funny but it was still obnoxious having to focus on someone that offputting for like ten minutes.

still thinking i'll give it another ep cause the first half of the ep was really different and fun and see how it lands.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

i feel negative about it after 2 episodes. the script seems pretty bad. doesn't feel like it quite "gets" slice of life shows, as someone who's watched dozens of these this one feels really off.

yeah i agree with this 100%

wasn't feeling it this episode so i dropped it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

a sign of affection continues to majorly own for much the same reasons as last week. the scene where oushi and yuki talk in sign language is such a burner - it's a really cool piece of animation and they effectively use the way oushi talks in sign to convey a lot about his character

if you're into shoujo romance and you're not on this one yet you're missing out, it's absolutely fantastic and easily my favorite show of the season so far

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

wasn't into the first episode of bucchigiri

hated the protag, his motivations, and the vibe of the story/humor. if the end of the episode is any indication the style during the fights is going to be loving sick but i don't think i want to put up with the rest of it to get there.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

meiji gekken was more competent than i expected for an abandoned crunchyroll original™. compares unfavorably to revenger though for something set in roughly the same time period and genre

i tried it and expected it to be worse but this season's pretty stacked with stuff i want to watch and i don't think it was good enough to hang

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 14, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Silver2195 posted:

Anyone else watching High Card? I started watching it more as a substitute for Bungou Stray Dogs than because of its actual merit, but by now I'm actually pretty interested in it. I like that Chris is actually facing consequences for the X-Hand thing. I'm a little curious if there's going to be a third season; even taking into account the cards involved in the manga (and the LNs that will probably never get translated), there's still a lot of cards unrevealed.

i gave up on high card because i thought it was way more fun when it was just goofy heist hijinks like the cruise ship episode and when they tried adding in dramatic stakes it ended up not working for me at all

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

still really like tomozaki

the newest arc with tama having to figure out how to deal with erika bullying her is really interesting because tama's approach is similar to how i've handled conflict in the past and i've definitely had to learn how to be less blunt and learn to read the room and play office/classroom politics like she's having to now.

tomozaki's writing always has a deep interest in social dynamics and is usually thought provoking. i really dig that angle for a slice of life.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

throw me on the pile thinking bravern's really fun

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i thought bleach was the sickest thing in the world when i was like 15 but when they finished soul society and got to the arrancar stuff i dipped

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Fangz posted:

Is anyone who hasn't read the manga still watching Sengoku Youko? I'm enjoying it, but as someone who liked the manga, I feel as if I'm in the position of an anxious parent hoping a kid does well, and thus is unable to be objective.

i am!

it's a fun shounen with a good sense of humor and characters that are the right mix of goofy and cool - sometimes that just hits the spot. if it ends up going somewhere i think the start is good enough to suck people in.

also mal says it's getting 37 episodes - not sure what that means in terms of the manga

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the spleen is the vestigial human tail

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a weekly snack and if that's all it is I'm cool with it.

i wasn't in for that but that's a vibe i get

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Silver2195 posted:

In this week’s High Card, we finally answer the obvious question: how the Two of Clubs worked before guns were invented.

is it a bow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hideki matsuyama is also one of the better players on the pga tour right now