Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm going to give Villainess Level 99 a try. The manga was pretty cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

So are there any good modern isekai shows out there while we’re on the subject? They seem to be churning out a lot of them as of late

People seem to like Eminence in the Shadow.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

The whole death thing in isekai is weird (especially what it implies about the psychology of the assumed audience). Older portal fantasy didn’t need this; the protagonists walked through a magical doorway while exploring an old mansion, or fell asleep under a magical tree, or were transported by a magical storm, or astrally projected themselves to Mars somehow, or got spirited away in the middle of their daily lives. What does the death thing add, beyond tropes-for-the-sake-of-tropes? One explanation I’ve seen is that it prevents the protagonist from even trying to get back home; though I’m not sure why this is necessary either.

They're Buddhist, op.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I gave Instant Death Ability a watch and my verdict is a tentative "meh." I've read and liked the manga, but I didn't see much to indicate that the anime is going to be a particularly good adaptation. Granted, the start of the story is probably the worst bit. I'll give the next couple of episodes a shot and see if it gets better.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I liked Undead Adventurer! It's nothing revolutionary, but the manga is solid and the anime executed well on it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Watched Villainess Level 99. I liked it! The story isn't anything groundbreaking, and it's obviously a cheap production, but it's generally a solid adaptation of what I like from the manga. A real comfort food sort of show. (Anime spoiler) I appreciated the commitment to the initial fake-out, although they could have gone harder on the twist reveal.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ok, episode 2 of Instant Death Ability throttled up the chaos way the hell up. I think I'm fully on board for this series now. Suffer not a catgirl.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay the demon and angel show is pretty funny

Yeah, this is just wall to wall gags. Absolutely not taking the premise seriously.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil is good, yall

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey, so, that Level 99 villainess anime is pretty good.

It's very fun. It's got lot of the One Punch Man "I inadvertently got way too strong, and that's pretty awkward" vibe going for it, which is a fun thing to throw into an otome game parody.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The fun of Instant Death is watching a series of grandiose fantasy plots ping-pong off of each other for a bit before getting anticlimacticly dumpstered by a sleepy main character. It's a fun comic, generally. The anime is... fine? It's fine. It's a pretty flat adaptation that doesn't bring a ton to the table compared to the comic itself. I'll probably keep watching it, myself, just to see how it pans out.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Orb Crabmelt posted:

English title shoulda been "Dungeon Fodder" imo

Oh gently caress, that's good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil keeping being good dumb fun.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, this has been a pretty good season for good-enough fantasy. Instant Death is a funny trainwreck, Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is a refreshingly strait take, and Unwanted Undead Adventurer is a nice chill progression fantasy.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A couple of the gags in the latest Level 99 Villianess got a solid laugh out of me. They're doing a great job with the adaptation, especially considering that they clearly don't have a huge budget.

Specifically what got me was Eleanora's sparkle bouncing off Yumiella's head with a cartoony "tink" sound, and the well-timed title drop giving poor Patrick the final twist of the knife.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Thankfully the CGI isn't carrying the show. It's bad, but it's acceptable.