Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Watched the first episode in English. SungWon Cho voices Senshi and it slaps.

So having not read the manga, I take it that death isn't as big a deal here with resurrection spells? Marcille mentions dying once to a slime.

it mostly follows D&D rules where as long as there’s an intact corpse you can rez them easily, with the cash and materials of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Really liked the episode, my one complaint is admittedly pretty minor and it's that they didn't include the ingredients list and nutritional info for the meals like they do in the manga.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

VideoWitch posted:

Really liked the episode, my one complaint is admittedly pretty minor and it's that they didn't include the ingredients list and nutritional info for the meals like they do in the manga.

havent seen it yet but this is disappointing :(

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I knew they kinda missed on the OP song choice but did not expect it to be boring too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

it's her, Falin

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't like the OP song but i do like the visuals... they are all so tall and big!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I really really like the op. There's just something about the vibe that really grabs me. The music hits the same part of my brain as the Okage: Shadow King soundtrack

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Very surprised to see Emily Rudd as Marcille in the dub. She's doing pretty good!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also at the pace they're going, with this being a 2 cour season, we'll be on track to get to the halfway point of the series by the end of this season and to finish the series in just one more two cour.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Meals In A Dungeon?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
like it, excited for more, lone regret is that the show isn't called "Dungeons and Dine-Ins" and/or "Dine-ins and Dragons". Like, come on.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
i can't imagine a japanese IP holder going for a parody title considering the (lack of) fair use laws there

would be good though

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

the way the dragon fight starts zoomed in on its eye, zoom out to it breathing fire on the whole camera reminds me of the old bg1 intro

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
marcille is weird too, yes

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 4, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yes there are other jokes, and it's about the whole party and their adventure so definitely more than Laios being himself and Marcille holding her nose about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I got a good laugh out of this. I wasn't expecting a youtube silence reaction at that moment so it caught me off guard.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SlowBloke posted:

Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

There's a lot more to the worldbuilding than this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I got a good laugh out of this. I wasn't expecting a youtube silence reaction at that moment so it caught me off guard.

I thought it was buffering for a second lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might be just me but did anyone get a bit of a Pokémon vibe at points? Laios's book of monsters had a rodent picture that looked just like a Rattata, the man eating pitcher plants immediately made me think of Victreebel and I swore I heard the pokéball sound effects at one point.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah, this is kind of what I expected from netflix, honestly

It's disappointing but at least the dialogue itself appears to be translated fine

SlowBloke posted:

also yeah dont worry, marcille is a giant weird goofus

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this show is good folx. thank you Trigger

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol and lmao at all the heathens implying that Marcille is not the epitome of grace, rationality and sound mind. :colbert:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

It’s so good! The dub is incredible! I’m hungry!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Yeah, it takes a few chapters, but it leaves that setup behind for the most part in favor of more plot and gags for the rest of the cast. The guy is always weird, though.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
They're all weird (except Chilchuck).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Off to a good start, need to rewatch it in English and see how they did.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
laios is just the most immediately weird because his monster fixation is what kicks the story off

as much as i'm looking forward to the introductions of some later characters, i'm glad netflix is actually following through with a week-to-week release schedule worldwide instead of strangling long-term discussions in their cribs

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

duz posted:

Off to a good start, need to rewatch it in English and see how they did.

The dub is good, tho I feel like Senshi's characterization is a little off. He is generally very mild and speaks in an old-timey manner so having him say "tastes like rear end" really caught me off guard. I'm also not sure why they felt the need to change his line saying "Senshi is dwarven for researcher" to "Senshi is dwarven for seeker".

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Marcille's screaming being nowhere near intense enough is basically my only gripe with the dub so far.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

why doesn't senshi say 'tis finished!' this is bullshit

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Seems like this will be a good adaptation. Great dub too!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
SungWon is enjoying himself in the role at least.
Didn't know the woman voicing Marcille was the same one who played Nami in the live action One Piece. As someone fresh to the series I really like them. Only Laios sounds like generic anime man but he's by no means bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

roobots posted:

The dub is good, tho I feel like Senshi's characterization is a little off. He is generally very mild and speaks in an old-timey manner so having him say "tastes like rear end" really caught me off guard. I'm also not sure why they felt the need to change his line saying "Senshi is dwarven for researcher" to "Senshi is dwarven for seeker".

According to the subtitle he's saying "taste like gas" and after listening to it a few times I can hear it.

Very strong first episode really looking forward to more!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1742979176670646368?t=XnHWP6HxP-EcpbaRL4Fj1Q&s=19

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
They got the most important parts of the early chapters really right, in this manga about food: Laios being insane, and Marcille reactions.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That was the best Vanillaware food I've seen in a long time.

I've never read the manga just heard how good it is many times so I'm looking forward to watching this week to week. Going to stick to the dub as well because it autoplayed the dub and Damien Haas and SungWon are two people I'm a big fan of so them both being in it is an easy choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
~It's delightful!
It's delicious!
It's d-duuungeon!~

Sorry, had to get that out to allow my one brain cell other thoughts.

Great fun so far, it's going to be an entertaining Winter. And I see Marcille memes from screenshots are already starting. I'll give the dub a try later.