Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I am kind of irritated that Netflix says 2 episodes available when, you know, there aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's counting the trailer as an episode

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Watched the first episode with my wife, who isn't too big on anime.

She found it enjoyable, although I think me actively gushing about the episode made it more entertaining for her.

Glad to see Emily Rudd back and SungWon is always a pleasure.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Coming in with no knowledge of the manga. That's some good looking food.

Watched the dub and it was great. The VA doing Marcille sounded a little stilted in some lines but sounded great whenever she was throwing a fit.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

It definitely takes some time for Kui's meticulous worldbuilding to pay off, and I might have ended up dropping the manga if I hadn't started reading it in the middle of its run. I don't know if the first 3 eps are going to cover up to the point when I first started really getting into it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

SlowBloke posted:

Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

nah thats it the whole way through, laios is a weirdo throughout the series. nothing else is developed or explained, its just that for 14 volumes, 97 chapters, 40 to 50 episodes. you better stop watching now to save yourself the disappointment.

Donkringel posted:

Watched the first episode with my wife, who isn't too big on anime.

She found it enjoyable, although I think me actively gushing about the episode made it more entertaining for her.

Glad to see Emily Rudd back and SungWon is always a pleasure.

this is going to be a good "anime series for people who dislike common anime tropes". i recommended this to my friends, when marcille got grabbed by the plant, and i immediately got worried. but fortuntately it didn't go into fan-service territory, and for that, trigger, i salute you.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 5, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zeruel posted:

nah thats it the whole way through, laios is a weirdo throughout the series. nothing else is developed or explained, its just that for 14 volumes, 97 chapters, 40 to 50 episodes. you better stop watching now to save yourself the disappointment.

Well, this part is true, at least.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dragon enthusiast posted:

It definitely takes some time for Kui's meticulous worldbuilding to pay off, and I might have ended up dropping the manga if I hadn't started reading it in the middle of its run. I don't know if the first 3 eps are going to cover up to the point when I first started really getting into it.

I want to avoid talking about manga stuff, but at least for me episode 3 should be the chapters where I started to realize just how much of a smartie and crazy creative Ryoko Kui is.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Finally sat down and watched this and so far so good. Marcille's bizarre rear end gag with the sound completely cut off got me really good. Excited to see the rest of the journey.

Not watching the dub but super, super neat to see Sungwon Cho get a voice role. I remember watching a manga collection video of his ages ago and he was gushing about it back then. What a nice story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part is that you could tell that it was an actual zoom in on Marcille's face. They did not redraw that.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part is that you could tell that it was an actual zoom in on Marcille's face. They did not redraw that.

Yes absolutely it looked so loving crusty lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Yes absolutely it looked so loving crusty lol

This is the studio that started with Inferno Cop. It's good that they can remember their roots.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have now watched both subbed and dubbed and I genuinely think I like the dub better.

Does this make me a fake fan?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have now watched both subbed and dubbed and I genuinely think I like the dub better.

Does this make me a fake fan?

It's 2024 you're in a safe space fam

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Netflix-Trigger productions batting a thousand on dubs so far.

Marcille and Senshi are particularly great

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

roobots posted:

The dub is good, tho I feel like Senshi's characterization is a little off. He is generally very mild and speaks in an old-timey manner so having him say "tastes like rear end" really caught me off guard. I'm also not sure why they felt the need to change his line saying "Senshi is dwarven for researcher" to "Senshi is dwarven for seeker".

Pretty sure that's the translation they go with in the official manga releases.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I haven't watched an anime in like, almost a decade, but I'm going to watch this.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Pretty sure that's the translation they go with in the official manga releases.

just because its official, doesn't mean its right
:goonsay:

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean it's also the translation in the scans I read. The only place I've seen it translated as researcher is the subs.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

According to the subtitle he's saying "taste like gas" and after listening to it a few times I can hear it.

Very strong first episode really looking forward to more!

I'm pretty sure he says "rear end" and the subtitles are just wrong. "Tastes like rear end" is a thing people say. "Tastes like gas" isn't.

I haven't watched the whole thing with the dub subtitles on, but just a few seconds earlier the subtitles say "Gives you the run or something fierce", when he clearly says "Gives you the runs something fierce".

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Peewi posted:

I'm pretty sure he says "rear end" and the subtitles are just wrong. "Tastes like rear end" is a thing people say. "Tastes like gas" isn't.

I haven't watched the whole thing with the dub subtitles on, but just a few seconds earlier the subtitles say "Gives you the run or something fierce", when he clearly says "Gives you the runs something fierce".

awesome work netflix

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Waffleman_ posted:

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Popo posted:

Only Laios sounds like generic anime man but he's by no means bad.

I mean that's kind of the thing though, he is by all metrics an unoriginal-looking adventurer, like he is what the DM's 11yo cousin his aunt asked to let sit at the D&D table would come up with when making his first roleplaying character (a fighter that wields a sword because the rules are pretty simple for a beginner) but, and here's is the important part : he is a weirdo and that suddenly makes him very interesting.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The man tried to eat raw scorpion tail by just biting into the exoskeleton, he's not just weird, he's also kind of stupid.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Zeruel posted:

this is going to be a good "anime series for people who dislike common anime tropes". i recommended this to my friends, when marcille got grabbed by the plant, and i immediately got worried. but fortuntately it didn't go into fan-service territory, and for that, trigger, i salute you.

Yea I read the series and knew what was coming, but when I saw that scene I was worried they decided to add their own bit of fan service. I was happy to see I was wrong.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sechihyeo/status/1743384741766955398

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
IT BEGINS

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

i'm glad people will finally start to recognize marcy as more than just the "elves are not lewd" elf

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Kwyndig posted:

The man tried to eat raw scorpion tail by just biting into the exoskeleton, he's not just weird, he's also kind of stupid.

one of my favorite parts of the manga was Laios's duality as a highly capable warrior and leader, and as the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1743325355057037426

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

where's the Marcille italian dub?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The part where her staff clocks her dead center in the forehead is so funny. Sorry Marcille!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
prozd really hit the jackpot dubbing senshi. not often you get a main character in anime whose mouth never moves

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Incredible

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oxxidation posted:

prozd really hit the jackpot dubbing senshi. not often you get a main character in anime whose mouth never moves

Yeah he still has to match timing so he doesn't go over his scenes but not having to match lip flaps is so much easier.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VideoWitch posted:

where's the Marcille italian dub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaNBXq51fyE

They sound dire but that's par for the course for netflix.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah he still has to match timing so he doesn't go over his scenes but not having to match lip flaps is so much easier.

If netflix isnt willing to pay to reanimate the flaps then the director should tell the actors to just act as they wish and not worry about the drat flaps so much. Its the single reason left why dubs are bad compared to subs. Every other problem has been worked through but this persists, and its an expensive problem to fix. We the audience should just go back to enjoying dubs that have 60's godzilla mouth flaps!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Netflix actually the one shelling out for production costs or just the streaming rights.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Netflix actually the one shelling out for production costs or just the streaming rights.

If not netflix then whoever is in charge of the dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meme Emulator posted:

If not netflix then whoever is in charge of the dub.

So Bang Zoom, then. They're the studio contracted out for those dub according to the credits.

As you said, it's a very expensive process to reanimate scenes in an industry that saves money wherever it can. The only instance that immediately springs to mind is when Pokémon 4Ever added an entirely new, fully animated and voice synced scene for the dubbed version, but that was 20 years ago and kind of unprecedented.