Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Laios's English voice actor is autistic, so as you might expect the scene with Laios and Shuro hit close to home for him.

https://x.com/DamienHaas/status/1783674728512897145

Laios is probably the most I feel seen by a fictional character. Just make him gay and we'd be twinsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
lol I never noticed before how the elf that rescued Kabru in his flashback panel got loving murdered by some night creature from Castlevania. That's brutal!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Laios's English voice actor is autistic, so as you might expect the scene with Laios and Shuro hit close to home for him.

https://x.com/DamienHaas/status/1783674728512897145

Help I keep identifying with the more closed off characters in this show and I don't know what to think of that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNLoghryLA

My cousin put it pretty well. Japanese Laios is a little too generic. Damien Haas is great at making him sound as unhinged as he really does to the rest of the cast.

What actually got me to switch over to the English dub was the dinner before they fought the red dragon, when Laios was thanking everyone for getting them all there. He just sounded so heartfelt.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Synthbuttrange posted:

3. Gave Falin a brood patch so that she can incubate eggs when she lays them.

Marcille isn't ready to be a mother!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SexyBlindfold posted:

Shuro: And that is why I have decided... to ask you to marry me.
Falin, looking past Shuro at a cool leaf on the ground: uh huh can i get back to you on that
Shuro: Of course. Take all the time you need.
Falin, picturing the leaf on her pressed leaf collection: ok

Shuro: We look like such a cute couple here!
Falin: A couple of besties! Haha

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Chilchuck called Shuro's ninjas "ninjas", and didn't sound surprised.

Meaning: a) this setting has the concept of "ninjas", b) they're real - like cartoon ninjas with the black masks and everything, c) ninjas are common enough to be unremarkable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's thinking like a Kabru

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Brutal Garcon posted:

Chilchuck called Shuro's ninjas "ninjas", and didn't sound surprised.

Meaning: a) this setting has the concept of "ninjas", b) they're real - like cartoon ninjas with the black masks and everything, c) ninjas are common enough to be unremarkable.

Ninjas are a staple of Wizardy after all 😌

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Aren’t Wizardy Samurai basically Red Wizards?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lazy Fair posted:

It went by really fast so I went back and took some screenshots of Kabru's flashbacks when Laios offered him the monster omelette:

Given what we have heard about the Elves From The West so far (A shady organization that disappears people, as far as know), if Kabru was adopted by them for some time then it makes sense why he is like that (Not explicitly evil, but infuriatingly pragmatic. Also, he is suspiciously good at killing humans/humanoids.)

Speaking of infuriating, this show is almost too good at shifting between horrifying, serious, and funny.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Things we know about the lunatic magician.

1. Insane
2. Gotta find Dergal
3. Gave Falin a brood patch so that she can incubate eggs when she lays them.

Really wondering where the chicken part came from. Something the gang missed when reviving Falin? Something the Mad Mage threw in for fun? Are chickens and dragons closely related like how chickens are closely related to dinosaurs IRL?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really wondering where the chicken part came from. Something the gang missed when reviving Falin? Something the Mad Mage threw in for fun? Are chickens and dragons closely related like how chickens are closely related to dinosaurs IRL?

It's so she's not naked :v:

Worldbuilding answer: she was created artificially by ancient forbidden magic twice over, first being revived with dragon meat and then being turned back into a dragon. It's not surprise that things got a little messed up. Feathers and scales have a very similar structure even if dragons aren't directly related to birds in this world (probably divergent evolution, if ever there was a fantasy setting with evolution this would be it).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

According to the image, it looks like the feathers are there to help keep the human mammal bits warm in what is presumably a cold blooded creature

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Mad Mage was selective in his madness and seemingly enjoys feather crop tops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ninjewtsu posted:

According to the image, it looks like the feathers are there to help keep the human mammal bits warm in what is presumably a cold blooded creature

Dragons, like dinosaurs, have got to be endothermic. Also, like, birds have feathers and lizards do not so I don't think you understand how that works at all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Obviously she's a fluffy chicken because Falin is a fluffy girl! The chimera form inherits some properties from the human part as well, and I imagine some of that must be personality as well, not just physical.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

There was not enough dragon material between Falin and the Red Dragon corpse to form a fully functional dragon, so he threw some harpy bits in the process to compensate. It's probably why a flock of harpies is hanging around her. They are like "wow, what a big and strong harpy! Slay sis!".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A very good thread read on Shuro's issues. Doesn't appear to go beyond this episode so no spoilers, but there are some panels from the supplementary material.

https://twitter.com/squidcxndy/status/1783693658027438337?t=lxGVRwMnSkeR3GOZnd9C8A&s=19

It's a much better read on Shuro than some other ones on twitter that render things down to Shuro being mad that Laios is allowed to be noisy and direct because he's white.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Maybe dragons have feathers as hatchlings and lose them as they grow into adulthood, and this is some sort of neoteny?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The mad mage gave Falin feathers because it looked sick as hell

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 26, 2024

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Arc Hammer posted:

A very good thread read on Shuro's issues. Doesn't appear to go beyond this episode so no spoilers, but there are some panels from the supplementary material.

https://twitter.com/squidcxndy/status/1783693658027438337?t=lxGVRwMnSkeR3GOZnd9C8A&s=19

It's a much better read on Shuro than some other ones on twitter that render things down to Shuro being mad that Laios is allowed to be noisy and direct because he's white.

Is there a good way to read threads on twitter these days?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I see this is streaming in Japan on Disney+ but with no subs other than Japanese, are there any regions it’s on Disney with English subs?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This episode really brought me around on Holm. I'm a Holmhead now. Just a helpful lil guy.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

harpy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
becoming WHOA HEY-pilled

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Is there a good way to read threads on twitter these days?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1783693658027438337.html

E: This was expanded since I initially posted in so it does contain some spoilers for later, stop when you get to the couple unrelated posts mixed in to avoid them.

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 30, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Laios is probably the most I feel seen by a fictional character. Just make him gay and we'd be twinsies.

I refuse to believe Laios isn't at least bi, his crush on Shuro is as obvious as it is one sided.

https://x.com/luukeskywalkers/status/1783636023085572205

The mad mage and Chimera Falin are terrifying, but secretly they are also rather silly sometimes.

https://x.com/shrimplovercat/status/1783725508724920372

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Chilchuck is older than Laios...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I feel like this has a lot of edit potential.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RubberLuffy posted:

becoming WHOA HEY-pilled

:same:

I’ve mainly been watching the Japanese sub version, but the delivery on that line in the dub is impeccable. :discourse::allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"You do remember my name right?"
"Of course"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

The mad mage gave Falin feathers because it looked sick as hell

I like the note that says "A bit smaller and more stylish than the Red Dragon"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want here's the mini comic about how Laios and Toshiro met: https://64.media.tumblr.com/fc4b716883af2d91bd55341a86acf202/272eba927a9ed90f-cc/s1280x1920/1512584d4f98cd8eeacec1fc5c362b132bb51d57.jpg

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I refuse to believe Laios isn't at least bi, his crush on Shuro is as obvious as it is one sided.

Laois has zero romantic feelings for any human being. He clearly only truly loves monsters.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Imagine what would happen if Kabru wore a costume and did a monster mating dance for Laios. I feel like he'd get the desired response.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He'd be correcting everything Kabru got wrong, the stance too upright, moves are too stiff, the sounds arent even from the right animal, the costume's details are all off

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Synthbuttrange posted:

He'd be correcting everything Kabru got wrong, the stance too upright, moves are too stiff, the sounds arent even from the right animal, the costume's details are all off

But what if Kabru did it again and took Laios’ corrections to heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah, but then you can have the whole “here, let me show you” moment when Laois takes Kabru’s hands to show him the proper chicken monster moves. Classic!