Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They're aloof, in the canonical pop-cultural elvish fashion, but in a reasonable way that is used to illustrate an aspect of their culture, which not all elves subscribe to, and makes elves more interesting than the old "snooty mystical elves" canard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Meals In A Dungeon?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Q: is this going to evolve from the "guy is super into weird poo poo, girl isn't" joke? I'm giving the series the usual three eps but I am not convinced from this first ep.

There's a lot more to the worldbuilding than this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like the detail that Orcish food is spicy. :kimchi:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

chrome line posted:

That's from a Famitsu interview where she also just lists like 40 games she likes

https://twitter.com/Rodanosaurus/status/1757831442212753561

Disco Elysium, Witcher 3, Papers Please and Return of the Obra Dinn. :hmmyes:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Interesting article!

W-wait. Hold up.

quote:

Enishiya is an interesting company that offers services on multiple levels; IP management, as seen in the upcoming Spice and Wolf reboot, and also acting as their own anime studio. ....

H...H... HuhHH!?? :tviv: :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

There are deer liver flukes that are prized by deer hunters. They actually look extremely delicious. Like a living cold cut.

I want to eat one so badly lol.

Are you loving kidding me.

*googles*

:gonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

A plant monster would say that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Who the gently caress wears open toed shoes into a dungeon? Don’t even think about crushing injuries…think about all the stuff that will get in-between your toes.

*laughs in Cimmerian*

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shuro sees his would-be fiancee devoured by a dragon and decides to go on a journey of self-discovery and healing. Starts a Youtube channel about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Falin's resurrection is one of the coolest and spookiest sequences in the manga, and there are some panels in the comic that I had been looking forward to seeing animated. While they didn't get to all of them, the anime still did a pretty good job of it.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 22, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Me being a rules lawyer concerning how healing magic appears to work: I'm fine with healing magic requiring a zero-sum transubstantiation of animal flesh into humanoid flesh. That is how it is supposed to work. Arguing that you're just "converting equivalent calories" to resurrect a destroyed body doesn't mean you're utilizing mass animal sacrifice to bring back a dead person. How is healing magic any less bloodthirsty than 'forbidden' magic? Are these live stock locally and humanely sourced? I hope the Resurrection Guild has somekind of kosher guidelines for their sourced livestock.

I like that it was actually stated that it takes not just an equivalent amount of flesh but around several times that, probably accounting for entropy. Assuming magic is a perfect Carnot engine, human body temperature of 37 C and a dungeon environmental temperature of 16C, that gives an efficiency of 1-(16/37)= 0.56, which if translated to mass, would require around double the mass!. The manga artist really did think about things way deeper than is normal for fantasy and I love it. :allears:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 22, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

G1mby posted:

Alas, Carnot efficiency needs to be calculated in Kelvin/Rakine rather than Celcius :goonsay:

Oh poo poo! It's been like literally 16 years since I took thermodynamics. Well, it seems like the process is quite a lot less efficient then. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here it is for everyone else, with the so-far unrevealed character cropped out

Senshi wearing shoes in the loving house like a barbarian!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

*ignores marcille*

I thought she was wearing little ankle socks!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Suleman posted:

Sometimes fantasy/sci-fi names will just not work for every viewer due to their cultural background. That's just what you gotta deal with to enjoy the genres sometimes.
Like, how I'm watching/reading Dune while knowing that Herbert picked up the very unintimidating name Härkönen for his antagonists from a phone book.

Is that like the equivalent in English of, like, "Jones" or something?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

EDIT: Forgot which thread I was in.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2024

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sander posted:

Dungeon Meshi has a particular quality in common with the likes of Dorohedoro and Golden Kamuy.

Another great food manga, this is so incredibly true. Dungeon Meshi is Golden Kamuy with magic / Golden Kamuy is Dungeon Meshi in the snow.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just rewatched the fight scene -- really good scream at "GET AWAY!" from Falin's English VA! The dubbing is insanely good in this show.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Don’t worry, those worms themselves have worms that’ll eat out all of the most toxic bits

"You're very clever, young man, very clever. But it's worms all the way down!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Laios is the guy who read the Stephen King story about the surgeon who got stuck on a tiny desert island and was like "Hmmm..."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RubberLuffy posted:

Check your netflixes cuz the new ep is out

new OP is gorgeous

edit: they just uploaded it to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyT-N1Ip70

It's beautiful, they clearly had a lot of fun making it.

On the other hand, it's so cute and bubbly, it makes the show seem like it's just an adorable slice of life having fun with your buddies cooking in a dungeon show.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Is it wrong to try to pick up cooking skills in a dungeon?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I liked the weird, unexpected detour into Kabru's political machinations! It just highlights how everyone else is playing a totally different game from Laios and company.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kabru is playing Vampire: The Masquerade when everyone else at the table is playing Dungeon World. :allears:

Also, please don't hate me for this, but I ... don't really see Falin x Marcille as two-sided. Maybe it's just from me coming off of the comic, but Falin always read as platonic with respect as Marcille to me, while Marcille clearly is romantically interested in Falin. This reading makes it quite a bit more tragic, though, I'll admit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Very normal player behavior.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

By the by, Kabru's whole annoying Sherlock Holmes schtick has an actual name in literary convention: ratiocination

Maybe the reason why I didn't mind that this episode is because I'm a math-brained nerd that actually enjoys Sherlock Holmes and Foundation and stories with this kind of thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hiveminded posted:

I think that's the point. Mick always treats Kuro like an actual dog -- the entire visual and thematic gimmick is "boy and his dog" -- but [literally] peeling back the surface he's exposed to the stark physical reality that Kuro is as much a person as Mick and everyone else is. And that fucks with his head and makes him immediately backpedal to obscure the dissonance, preserving the possessive and dehumanising delusion.

It's like looking at what chimpanzees look like under all the fur. It's startling!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:five:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/misteryurifag/status/1776689780585087304?t=Gynb6NvrKsWueiBnn3g-BA&s=19

Some Japanese fans enjoy Damien Haas's English voice for Laios because he sounds more insane.

I like the viewer that's thirsty for Laios being hungry for dragon meat in both languages. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like that you can really see how her eyelashes fell off when they moved her. That's continuity!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DNA Cowboys posted:

Could I interest you in a Marcille noodle stopper?

Oh bless me that is super duper cute. Tempted, even though I never have instant ramen in the cup and would thus have no place for her to sit!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In Chil's defense, it would've been fine if Laios hadn't blabbed about Marcille using forbidden magic. And on that regard, it wouldn't have mattered even if Chil was there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nobody introduce Kabru to reality tv shows, or he'll never leave the house.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of Ryoko Kui: what do you think her next work will be?

I'm kind of hoping she does something in the Dungeon Meshi world, but following a new set of characters. Like, there still feels like there's stuff to explore there.

But if she does a whole new thing in a whole new world that would be fun too.

I wouldn't expect this, honestly, judging by her past work. Kui is a very creative author and tends to move on after she's done with a world, though Dungeon is by far the most prolific of her creations and she seems to enjoy doodling sketches in that world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kabru is that one adviser in CK3 that has like +30 in Diplomacy and +25 in Intrigue and Ambitious. You put him on your high council because you're afraid of what'll happen to you if you don't.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kabru would absolutely survive the gom jabbar test.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Huh. Could Laois pass the Voight-Kampff test?

Of course, my boy may be autistic but he definitely shows empathy!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

VK: "You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you."
Laios: "I reach down and flip it over!!"
VK: "Well yes b~"
Laios: "SOUP! SOUP! SOUP! SOUP!"
Senshi (via speakerphone) "SOUP! SOUP! SOUP! SOUP!"

This.

Now, Kabru, on the other hand. He'd totally flip out once you asked him to give a few words about his mother.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wanna eat that giant worm man.

(Or his parasites)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

"Ancient civilizations?"

She nodded.

"We have two chief survivors of those ancient times: the dwarves and the elves. The dwarves so we think, emphasize almost pure mathematics. The elves perform another function."

Kabru: "Politics."

"Kull wahad!"