Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Imagine being that other elf. Your friend gets blindsided by a poisonous horror, then has to lie around on death's door watching some other adventurers while they cook food with the antidote instead of just loving giving it to him, insisting it "tastes better" that way. Then their mage absent-mindedly brandishes a drumstick at your guy before mumbling a healing spell with her mouth full. Afterwards, they treat the two of you to an incredible meal and lecture you about your health. This is one of the most confusing social experiences you've ever had. Your friend has decided that he idolizes these loving lunatics and now you have to get up at sunrise to go for a morning jog every godforsaken day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sounds to me like some kind of necromantic magic might be useful in this regard. Like maybe someone could study the secrets of life and death to raise an immortal undead dog that can pull out infinite mandrakes. I think that could potentially be helpful, and certainly not at all likely to upset anyone

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Or just! A long rope!! Dumb rear end wizards!!!

Just hire a deaf guy to do it. He gets work and you get mandrakes. Win win.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dolash posted:

An elf checking back in a century later to see if there's an elf language patch yet, messaging the grandchild of the original dev, who has to explain that the entire art medium they're referring to no longer exists.

Source code's lost, IP's public domain, e-shop closed, platform shut down, hardware is obsolete, form of energy it ran on banned by international treaty.

That's okay! I'll wait.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Good to see the Senshi panty shots from the manga getting their due.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah the whole "using food as a vehicle for worldbuilding" thing is absolutely a recurring narrative device in Dungeon Meshi. It was always really interesting in the manga, so I'm excited to see how well it translates to animation.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah it uh. It gets decidedly violent in parts.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Clearly elves are like sharks and they just constantly regrow new teeth.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Oh my god

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

VideoWitch posted:

I think it was just supposed to be that they were listening in on the conversation, because I'm pretty sure their beds aren't in that room

Yeah I think it was just Falin having this hugely emotional heart-to-heart with her bro and then walking straight into the embarrassing discovery that the entire adventuring party had been listening along like :allears:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

What the gently caress is a wolf? I thought I'd finally gotten a handle on the Gay Pokédex with its bears and twinks and otters and femboys and so on, but now people are talking about anime boys being wolves. What does that mean

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My favourite part is Marcille's reaction. Straight up doesn't even compute that Laios could be in any way sincere, she knows him better than that, so she jumps directly to "wtf are you talking about, are you okay"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Laios ever NOT sincere? He's the guy who is openly voicing his thoughts about how great it is that his sister got eaten because it meant he got to spend more time with his friends and doing what he loves.

Laios is 100% not the kind of person to sit around waxing perverse about elf ears, is what I'm saying.

He would talk about them, of course, but it would be a 10-minute infodump full of random trivia, and unequivocally the least sexy thing that anyone present had ever heard in their lives

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Laois is a Paladin with the Oath of Earnestness sub-class. I’m not sure of the advantages, but he always has Disadvantage on Insight checks.

Laios is a melee ranger and his animal companion is a weird little mollusc that lives in his sword :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Donkringel posted:

"Did you know that elves are able to withstand higher temperatures than other races? It's true! The secret lies within their ears. Elves have more blood vessels within their ears and the larger surface area allows for better heat radiation in hotter climates! In fact, elven clothing reflects this because in colder climates ear coverings are usually made with wool or other materials with high insulation to slow down heat loss and furthermore-" *Laois begins gesticulating rapidly*

You. You get it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Shuro's wonder party of Easterners fawning over him while he's trying to put on a stoic warrior face (and being a strung out wreck the whole time) was pretty funny.

Also his dispassionate samurai routine instantly disintegrating into maudlin desperation the moment some guy walks up and says "hey I think I know the girl you're looking for"

My guy is just a complete mess

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

haypliss posted:

It's shipping, none of that matters. Laicille content is being created as we speak.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kabru wants so badly to be the huge brain benevolent mastermind, but instead he's the guy who traumatizes his party mage with illusory fishman kisses and then winks at her. He thinks way too loving much and it causes him to be weird and off-putting as soon as you glimpse his Machiavellian 4D chess bullshit, unlike Laios who is weird and off-putting until you realize he's just an awkward dork who is actually quite sweet and loyal and has never had a single coherent thought unrelated to monsters

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

See, to me, that just looks like Kabru being a drama-monger. He's the kind of high school mean girl who gets excited upon learning something really damning about a peer

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly he seems a bit like a laios who is hyperfixated on people instead of animals and where that makes laios harmless and endearing, kabru puts you in the place of the monsters laios is nuts for and that's a much more uncomfortable perspective to have on the same mindset. i'm not sure i'd really go making moral judgements over either of them for it, as someone who is neurodivergent they both just kinda read as neurodivergent to me, and in that context i'm not super comfortable ascribing ethical value purely to the way their mind works over their actual actions. and i think everyone is broadly ok with kabru choosing to kill the people who tried to take advantage of his party via getting them to kill each other, it's just unsettling the way he explained and came to that conclusion, right?

Most of that sounds reasonable enough, yes - I think some of the strong reaction was due to people mistakenly thinking he had condemned the bandits' souls to eternal torment.

IMO the more pressing issue is that Kabru explicitly wants to beat the dungeon and become ridiculously powerful as a result, and either explicitly believes or is cynically leading others to believe that Only He Deserves This Power. In conjunction with his calm-eyed willingness to kill, this paints a slightly more worrisome picture of his overall character. He's not necessarily a bad guy, but given the opportunity (and the corrupting influence of power), it's not hard to see how he could become one.

He's fine as an adventurer - a tad Machiavellian at times, and definitely a bit of a drama addict, but overall more reasonable and reliable than some of the complete assholes we've seen in the dungeon. I really wouldn't want to see him in a position of absolute authority, though. His ruthlessly utilitarian attitude and high opinion of his own intelligence could easily turn him into a tyrant.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wrong. Delicious in Dungeon Meshi is a story focused entirely on dwarf bara bulge and all other details are simply evidence of Ryoko Kui's stellar worldbuilding

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Look, the thing you need to remember about Kings is that they generally suck pretty bad. Nobody who wants to be a King should ever be a King. Ideally there should be no King at all, but if there must be a King he should be some guy who's kinda :smith: about the job but dutifully does it anyway because he understands how important it is, not a guy who's apparently convinced that he's a shoo-in for Best King. You really really don't want a Dunning-Kruger King on your hands

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think Falin should be King, because she will sensibly do very little and her crazy rear end consort-slash-court mage will loving atomize anyone who causes any serious Kingdom-threatening trouble. And also they will kiss sometimes and it will be so cute and all the peasants will celebrate.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

oh my god

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Very telling that the thing that moves Marcille to horrified begging is not the threat of being turned over to the authorities, but rather the prospect of Falin meeting a final death

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My 11 year old enjoyed this episode. She was very serious all through the massacre and then laughed with delight at the Laios v Shuro slapfight

e: I get the impression that she was kind of silently cheering Falin on because a) cool monster lady and b) Marcille really likes this lady and we like Marcille

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 26, 2024

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

back to tism chat

shuro's got a lot of nerve being mad at the brother of the girl he's crushing whose not actively (not on purpose anyway) c blocking him

On that note, there is loving zero possibility that he could ever build a functional marriage with Falin lmao. If he can't put up with Laios infodumping, what the gently caress's he going to do when he comes home from an exhausting day of courtly bullshit or w/e and Falin starts doing it? They would be divorced as hell within a year, tops. But Shuro's too enamored of his autistic pixie dream girl to realize that she and her brother are very much alike, so he stubbornly hopes that maybe he can make it work. smh Shuro just propose to your ninja if you want to piss your family off

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 30, 2024

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Not just men tbh

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Reducing Kabru's party to "always dies party" is so funny. Laios' party focuses on monsters and therefore fights monsters the best. Kabru's party focuses on humanoids and therefore are *terrifyingly strong* at fighting humanoids, whether socially or physically. They absolutely decimate the bandits that were trying to ambush them. That's *the whole point of the dynamic of the two parties*.

Yeah but the dungeon is the monster zone, which is why they're the always dies party despite their high degree of competence, which is absolutely loving hilarious

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Answering/asking the important questions here.

Would Falin eat rear end?
Would Shuro eat rear end?
Whose rear end would Kabru eat?

Yes, and she'd be excited to try it

Absolutely not, unless Falin directly asked him to, in which case maybe

Laios' That's unfair, that guy's village was wiped out by asses, he's got traumas, you can't ask that of him

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wrong. They're all gay and they all have parent issues. It's a found family, not a nuclear one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Senshi's got severe exhibitionist tendencies.

Oh, what, so we're shaming him for wearing a traditional kilt-style design now? God forbid dwarves do anything