Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy also used the original D&D look for their monsters which helped engrave those looks in Japan’s consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arc Hammer posted:

Jeez that Elf teacher makes Frieren look like a child.

And I see that Falin is just as cued for monsters as Laios.

Teacher was a Gnome I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wait. Would Goofy be a kobold or a gnoll?

Gnolls are Hyena people, and Hyenas are actually closer related to cats than dogs. So for sure Kobold.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arc Hammer posted:

They already went into lifespans. Everyone's reactions to Chilchuck being 28 tells you something about how old they all are. Marcille is an elf so long life, Senshi thought he looks younger than he is, and Laios realizes he's the kid of the group and Chuck is closer to middle age

29. But yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I can't believe it... I fell for misinformation on social media... Time to apply for my boomer card

You didn’t. Toriyama was pretty much given a sketch of the D&D Orcs and that led to his design which locked pig orcs as the default in JP media.

The overall origin for pig orcs as a whole is actually pretty silly. Gary Gygax the D&D co-creator when giving instructions to the artist told them to make the orcs look pig-headed, and the artist took that literally.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doesn't it go back to House on the Borderlands? There's a bunch of monsters there that are never called orcs but are dangerous humanoids with pig-like features. And of course "Keep on the Borderlands" is a famous D&D module.

Keep on the Borderlands has Orcs, also it came out after the Monster Manual.

House on the Borderlands also predates Orcs and LotR.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 30, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I'm saying House on the Borderlands was likely a book either Gygax or someone else in that circle read and the image of the piglike humanoids stuck with them.

Well Gygax literally said it was just a case of the artist misunderstanding what he meant, and them deciding to roll with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yon posted:

Kabru's party kinda seems like the worst. Kuro deserves better.

Kabru is very good against things that are not monsters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Kabru gets that that's likely; he just thinks it's a sign that there's something wrong with Laios for him to be technically competent but still gullible.

It’s this, Kabru says they don’t take enough interest in other people, which is why they were getting scammed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sherlock and Watson hosed up the Hound of the Baskervilles, they're no slouches when it comes to monster slaying :colbert:

Last I checked the Hound was just a normal dog.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t know if Laios would be able to figure it out. Fishmen are considered Demihumans instead of monsters. Like remember how Laios had no real interest in the Undine cause it was a spirit not a monster.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I know Dale, but can’t remember the name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark477 posted:

There was also an episode in the original series where they tried to eat a magikarp

Only to discover it’s not fit for human consumption. (Pidggiotos like eating them however)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also one of the reasons he wants to go back is cause he is getting low on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think Kabru is only good at fighting humanoids if those humanoids are also tall men specifically. Orcs, gnomes, and half-foots can easily kick his rear end.

Sidenote: is there some legal reason why half-foots aren't called hobbits even though that's obviously what they are? It's the same way in Dungeons and Dragons where the race clearly meant to be hobbits are called "halflings".

Elves are elves, dwarves are dwarves, but hobbits are never just hobbits.

Kabru is totally good against all humanoid people. It’s his specialty after all.