Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Elves are always going to be tricky to do because it's hard to come up with an interesting angle for them that isn't playing off of the original fae or the Tolkien style.
Haven't read Dungeon Meshi so I don't know what their elves are like, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tolkien elves are so hot that the angels of God himself based their physical forms off of the Elves and before that they were light swirling gas and light or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fingolfin remains Best Elf but Frieren is cool and I'll watch Marcille.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched the first episode in English. SungWon Cho voices Senshi and it slaps.

So having not read the manga, I take it that death isn't as big a deal here with resurrection spells? Marcille mentions dying once to a slime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I got a good laugh out of this. I wasn't expecting a youtube silence reaction at that moment so it caught me off guard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might be just me but did anyone get a bit of a Pokémon vibe at points? Laios's book of monsters had a rodent picture that looked just like a Rattata, the man eating pitcher plants immediately made me think of Victreebel and I swore I heard the pokéball sound effects at one point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Netflix actually the one shelling out for production costs or just the streaming rights.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meme Emulator posted:

If not netflix then whoever is in charge of the dub.

So Bang Zoom, then. They're the studio contracted out for those dub according to the credits.

As you said, it's a very expensive process to reanimate scenes in an industry that saves money wherever it can. The only instance that immediately springs to mind is when Pokémon 4Ever added an entirely new, fully animated and voice synced scene for the dubbed version, but that was 20 years ago and kind of unprecedented.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Other than that the DBZA guys also talked about what a massive pain in the rear end it was redoing the lip flaps on static images, God forbid they tried it with a movie image.

Even the original animators have a hard time matching to spoken words which is why they also rarely go for a perfect 1:1 match with the animation. It's a lot of effort and not a lot of time to do it.

So I'm happy enough with ProzD getting more freedom with how he plays Senshi by not having to worry about matching the mouth wiggling every time he talks.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 6, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/george_10g/status/1743627985930870931?t=Av_IUjtlPCaJ7mJWIT98gQ&s=19

Delicious in (non)decaf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is this the first adaptation of an existing series Trigger has done? Edgerunners is still an original story set in Cyberpunk but haven't the other Trigger shows I've seen have all been anime originals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the ED, the artwork looks like postcards.

I'm wondering if Marcille or Chilchuck will have the larger nervous breakdown (It'll be Marcille).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, Marcille's book was actually correct, since her method provides a mandrake that's chemically-distinct from ones you harvest the "easy" way, which is probably important for the things wizards want mandrakes for.

I'm not really sure why "earplugs" or "a really long rope" wouldn't be a better solution than the dog thing, though.

Maybe wizards have a STEM mindset when writing their textbooks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Marcille was channeling some DM exasperation listening to the alternative solutions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dogs have much stronger hearing than humans do so maybe mandrake screams hit them different.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Most wizards are cats, aren't they?

Why the gently caress does Minerva McGonagall transform into a cat and not an owl

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anytime there isn't an elf onscreen someone should he asking where the elf at.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Need the guy who did that sick rear end Silmarillion AMV to make a full Silmarillion anime series for maximum Elf.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gamer elves would still be playing DOOM wads and being thankful that the game is still getting updates.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tree Reformat posted:

I certainly appreciate the effort to tone it down, but man Planescape Torment was entirely way too horny with its female party member character design, huh.

You say that like Mort isn't the least clothed party member.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Elfface posted:

Morte wears false teeth. Ignus otoh...

Fake edit: And Nameless One is just rocking a loincloth... if it wasn't for Dak'kon, none of the guys would have shirts.

Nameless One still has skin. Mort meanwhile

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That was definitely the most Trigger episode so far. Laios, you've got a one track mind, but it's one weird track.

Surprisingly some of the better suits of armour I've seen in anime. I don't know what it is but a lot of times when I see full plate in animated form it doesn't look right, like it's got some weird texture over it. These suits looked great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lol I didn't notice Laios inserted himself into the Sexy Mollusc Fantasy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/nami_haru/status/1748998346214342783?t=7vaREcCaT4vHRLri4qXv1g&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey nice, Imari Williams. Love that guy's voice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/skarchomp/status/1750602836730069231?t=6sWKZu-F642GxNFsdCIGqw&s=19

Cute baby orc.

Also shut the gently caress up Chilchuck and keep kneading that bread.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 26, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Squidster posted:

My friend spent a tear-filled hour trying to answer questions about why would the orcs do that, why did the elves hurt the orcs first, who the Bad Guys were, why does god let bad things happen to nice people

This your friend?

I dont know if explaining resurrection spells would help mend that experience.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 26, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I need Imari Williams doing more voices. Love that guy's raspy yet deep voice as the Orc papa.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Quit beating me to the Twitter posts I wanted the Senshi Tenshi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't watched the episode yet but I like to think that the mollusc living in his sword hilt is hugging him back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol the dog man said Hot Diggity

Bigger lol Laios went into an Obari pose when he drew his sword.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 2, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Orcs as pigs is so common but I do like how the artwork for this series gives them hairy bodies with cute little patterns like juvenile boars for the baby orcs. It goes a long way towards making them stand out rather than just your typical pig-man orcs, tortured-and-ruined corruption Tolkien orcs or Warhammer Greenskins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder if they'll add more of those flashback scenes with Laios and Falin's first party to keep her in the story until they get back to the dragon. What's Dwarf Lady and Samurai Man's deal?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HexlazeArt/status/1753820136245432611?t=1szkpTRiXvnGe0Kbc8J_gw&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who is the pentagonal elf

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 4, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder where Laios got that bestiary because it suggests that there's someone out there with a monster obsession equal to or greater than his own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So whats the deal with the living paintings? I can chalk it up to Laios being a hunger crazed maniac that he didn't notice how the first painting he jumped into did not deposit him within the painting itself but instead in another part of the castle before following the serving maid into the actual painting. The elf who was present in each painting recognized him by the time he appeared at the feast and tried to kill him for it. Maybe the paintings aren't so much paintings as they are paint-based portals into the past and Laios accidentally did a time travel to before the dungeon kingdom was created and sunk into the earth?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In the manga its explained that its illusion magic that manifests as a painting, and not actually a monster. Hence why Laios can't actually bring anything back or meaningfully change the painting itself.

So if it's illusion magic that means someone cast it, right? Why would they want to cast an illusion that people mistake for a monster unless they wanted to hide something? Do the paintings come back or is it another one-off weird quirk of the Dungeon?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just put tags on as an "episode just released and not everyone has watched yet" spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/BoioiBozo/status/1755984638085140682?t=e2duQ2TyXy7pkdj3lcJ7Vg&s=19

Emily Rudd felt like she was channeling some Ellen Degeneres Dory with her voice this episode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 9, 2024