Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

I generally dislike elves in fiction.

I hate elves in almost every fantasy fiction outside of Dungeon Meshi. Dungeon Meshi elves own. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To be fair, elves being hot is like the one thing that is almost always consistent across fiction, to the point where I would argue that its their defining characteristic.

EDIT:

chiasaur11 posted:

What about Frieren?

Yeah, I like all the elves in the Frieren. But to be honest, they are so rare that I am not sure liking them count as liking the whole elven race/society. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 28, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol and lmao at all the heathens implying that Marcille is not the epitome of grace, rationality and sound mind. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I mean, partial/magical lobotomy usually has that kind of effect on people.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 17, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If you ever looked at some food and wondered how the hell did humans discover you can eat that, "someone like Laios" is the most likely answer. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To be fair, the radar has no Dexterity stat and Chilchuck would probably have an easy 5 in that, while all other party members would be like 1-3.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
This is D&D inspired setting, everyone knows the risks involved in entering a seedy tavern. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Really enjoyed the focus on the other, more traditional party at the beginning, to contrast and showcase both how weird and how inexplicably competent Laios' party is. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

So if it's illusion magic that means someone cast it, right? Why would they want to cast an illusion that people mistake for a monster unless they wanted to hide something? Do the paintings come back or is it another one-off weird quirk of the Dungeon?

Maybe the Court Wizard wanted to make a painting+, where you don't only look at the depicted history, but can also enter the painting and relive it and a few hundred years and several forgotten spells later, everyone thinks they are traps and/or monsters. :shrug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
And Pillars of Eternity! And Pathfinder! And mentioned Tyranny among her favorite games! Lady got taste.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marcille would agree and consider it an achievement worth boasting about to her co-workers. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Laios legit dumped his Charisma to 3, so that he would have more ability points he could use to learn more monster facts.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

Goofy observation the orc lady "mommy birding" the medicine into Laois' mouth is very much that 'goddess exhales life into her consort' imagery I was talking about, last time. Thumb tacking a possible relationship between the two, later? Also, being flanked by two large dogs is classic Artemis/Hectate/Mistress of Animals goddess imagery. See also: Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" album cover.

Laios getting married to an orc's chieftain sister and being pretty stoked about it would be a very Laios move.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean the relationship between adventuring parties and orcs seems to be "kill on sight". It's only Senshi that's an exception.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

A werewolf girlfriend would kinda track, yeah

Yeah, I view Laios as someone who is so into monsters that any possible romance would have to go through that route. It's infinitely easier to see him with an orc, or a werewolf, or a mermaid, or a lamia then with another tall man or an elf. And even there, I think it would be more about him having no idea about personal space, privacy or tact and the other party taking it as an attempt of romance. Something like "this weird tall man is extremely curious and excited about how I reproduce, he got to be flirting with me, right?".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm also really anxious that there is going to be a dark Underworld Food Taboo twist. Dungeon food is so load with magical radiation that you either become dependent on it or you start becoming what you eat. I would be a lovely acid trip guide, but I'm confident I could get us through a katabatic trip.

Laios: "Wow, this is neat!"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Everyone giggling about roommates and Laois touches marcille’s ear and I don’t see no shipping

Alas, Marcille is not a monster, so everyone realizes that the chance of sparks flying is zero.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I do not truly get Kabru’s deal. What’s this man’s end game?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lazy Fair posted:

Some interesting lines in this episode: Kabru initially asks Laios how eating the orcs tasted, while he's recounting his monster eating adventures. This suggests that he views orcs as monsters, no different from slimes or living armor.

Well yes and no. Even though there is obvious racism in the way society (and Kabru) considers intelligent races who are not sufficiently humanoid "monsters", there still seem to exist a pretty clear distinction between them and more animal-like monsters like slimes or basilisks, considering the way Chilchuck freaked out over the mere idea of eating a fishman. IMHO this was less Kabru not distinguishing between a slime and an orc and more him trying to bait Laios into cheerfully admitting to basically cannibalism.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The staggering irony is that Chilchuck would have the most useful and applicable encouragements out of the whole crew.:allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

That just means Chil is gonna be the biggest freak of them all.

He seem to have founded (or at least currently leads) an union. Can't get more freaky than that.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 22, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Reddit seems pretty dumb because the cooking/monster eating is pretty a pretty incidental thing where they’ve already made camp for the day and are just eating the supplies they have on hand. I think they were well ahead of schedule anyway, it’s just that the Red Dragon is a familiar or whatever and not doing its normal wild animal thing of coming out every month to hunt before hibernating.

Yeah, that was explicitly addressed. In the first episode Laios mentions that after such a kill, Red Dragon goes dormant to conserve energy and it will take roughly a month to digest the food. And they got to him in a week. But the Red Dragon was still active, because his natural instincts were overridden by Mad Magician commands, so poor Falin was probably fully digested in a few days. The whole point is that they never would have made it, no matter how fast or slow they would be able to.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean, Fallin can just as easily be a bisexual. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really wondering where the chicken part came from. Something the gang missed when reviving Falin? Something the Mad Mage threw in for fun? Are chickens and dragons closely related like how chickens are closely related to dinosaurs IRL?

There was not enough dragon material between Falin and the Red Dragon corpse to form a fully functional dragon, so he threw some harpy bits in the process to compensate. It's probably why a flock of harpies is hanging around her. They are like "wow, what a big and strong harpy! Slay sis!".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I've been in both sides of it, so I can get . And while Marcille would help in getting Laios's corpse back if he were eaten by the Red Dragon, I'm not so sure she'd go as far as breaking the law and using black magic to resurrect him.

Don't kid yourself, if Falin asked her if there was any way to resurrect her brother, Marcille would be drawing with blood and muttering in dark tongues the next second. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

So his dad has taken pains to arrange for his son to have the life of a Harem Anime Protagonist?

No wonder dude seems so dour all the time

I think there is only a very tiny amount of young adult men that would voluntarily go adventuring with their literal childhood nanny.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
[quote="Arc Hammer" post="539236787"]
https://twitter.com/radiantraptor/status/1784989232832057703?t=2iK5QF76JBQ3r1affKcVvA&s=19

I don't know about 1, Falin does not strike me as someone who would leave such a huge portion of her midriff bare.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Idk dude when you tell someone "be honest with me" and their answer is "ok, I hate your loving guts and I always have, is that honest enough? gently caress you. I've never wanted to be anywhere near you." that's a little bit more extreme than "ripping a bandaid off" yeah?

Also like I do expect them to not be at each other's throats the next time they meet, it'll be fine, but I also think what's just happened between them is more than bros venting or whatever. Shuro doesn't seem to have ever actually considered laios a friend, and honestly after that revelation I think it'd be kind of weird for laios to continue to insist that they're friends.

You don't really go "Hey, if it ever looks like the fantasy CIA is going to catch you due to that horrific crime your party committed, give me a call, I'll smuggle you out of country and hide you somewhere safe" to someone who you don't consider a friend. Or I just don't have the right kind of acquaintances, idk.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean you might if the person you love is their sister and they're trying to save their sister, there's a little bit more going on here than "yo bud if you find yourself in a tight spot hit me up"

He gave up on Falin and switched to "she should at least have a proper death instead of running around as an abomination" a few scenes before he gave Laois the bell. It's literally the main reason he has decided to leave.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

"i think you're going to die trying to save your sister. but if you manage to accomplish that, give this a ring"

i'm not so sure this "laios decides to bail but hasn't resolved the falin situation one way or the other" scenario is really what shuro had in mind, though he was being a bit nonspecific to include it

If he believed Falin could be saved, he would continue trying to do it himself. To Shuro, the most likely scenarios for Laios are either "Laios dies" or "Laios finally realizes there is no way to bring Falin back and puts her to rest". And he is willing to bail Laios out of whatever consequences his actions will have in the world above in the second scenario. Like you can say, "no, they are not friends, they are comrades, they absolutely care for each other and would save each other's life in a heartbeat", but that's kinda splitting hair. And also not exactly the kind of message the initial "Laios and Shuro are not friends, Shuro intensely dislikes Laios and Laios is hurt by Shuro and probably dislikes him back now" post communicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The cat is finally here. Real Dungeon Meshi can now begin.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 3, 2024