Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

people should actually just play it as is to get the true AC experience. I'm pretty sure silent line had updated controls and larry picked the one right before that and i respect the hell out of that, unless i'm wrong lol

Not entirely intentional. I've never played an Armored Core and trying to pick a first one has been confusing me for years. Apparently this is not a fully settled question among fans.

I ended up with either this one or For Answer but felt like picking a PS3 game was a bit more of a gamble

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Not entirely intentional. I've never played an Armored Core and trying to pick a first one has been confusing me for years. Apparently this is not a fully settled question among fans.

I ended up with either this one or For Answer but felt like picking a PS3 game was a bit more of a gamble

Oh, well 3 is a good one. I can't recommend nexus enough, imo it's the best ps2 one to play if you're only going to try one of them. All the ps2 games are pretty close to each other though, except last raven. I hated last raven but I can't remember why now lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Also 6 is just an incredible game even if you don't like any of the others. Every gamer should play 6 all the way through at some point.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Met the Orz for the first time lads. Not sure about these guys

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

just ask them for a reference from the Androsynth.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

just ask them for a reference from the Androsynth.

He told me to smell his finger. I don't like him

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He told me to smell his finger. I don't like him

keep asking. there's a communication barrier! :)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sounds like someone isn’t a happy camper.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They're my friends now. I'm not happy with them.

A probe just told me a set of coordinates and I went to them and there's nothing there wtf

E: ohh wait hold on

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A probe just told me a set of coordinates and I went to them and there's nothing there wtf

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

turn off signatures

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sullen plummet has opinions about this thread.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i love this game. I don't have time to play now, but this is my top impmas priority for sure.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

: Find the source of the crystalline probes

Great game. I will not be getting any further before the deadline unfortunately.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

: Assemble a team of five
: Find the Magic Carpet
: Step foot on the Isle of the Avatar

when i grabbed the magic carpet, a rat came out of the cave and hopped on board. i thought it was some scripted event, and then the fucker starts biting the ankles of everyone on board. it died and stayed on the carpet while flying around lol.

i found the isle of fire after grabbing the magic carpet and helped two golems out, nice guys. the trial of truth wasn't bad, but goddamn i'm not ready for the trial of courage. the party took a bunch of bruises with the first fight and then the golems after that smashed our faces in.

turn off signatures

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Star Control owns, I've tried to get into it a bunch over the years but this is the most I've stuck with it. I knew Space Rangers 2 followed it as the template but didn't realise just how much lol

I have a bunch of leads and like 60 steam screenshots with hints, was hoping I could start the pterodactyl civil war by the deadline but not sure how to make it happen and I feel bad killing them. All my merchant money is going to item upgrades so I'm assuming he has information about it.

One criticism I have of the game flow so far is that I wish there were another option for getting credits. RU are trivial but credits are either finding rainbow worlds (ive only found the two near the Sylvando home) or trawl planets for animals to kidnap, which is getting dull, and credits are just too useful to bottleneck like this. I guess on a replay you'd just remember where the rainbow worlds are but that also just trivialises progress

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's been awhile but iirc the real secret to breaking the game wide open is finding the rainbow worlds. it's the easiest way to get all the hints and upgrades quickly. it helps if you also find a few systems that are resource-rich.

on a replay it's worth just using the giant hint book to see which star systems are good for raiding. the game is sort of built around you doing multiple playthroughs and taking notes about what's located where and the best order to do things, because a lot of things are technically on a timeline (the Ilwrath/thraddash war, the kohr-ah march, the pkunk getting absorbed during the yehat civil war, the spathi sealing themselves in their own planet out of sheer cowardice, etc.)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah bio info/credits are super important, the melnorme have like all the info you would ever need lol. I'm nearing the end I think, hoping to finish it up tonight after work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am no closer to starting the space Jacobite rebellion but I seem to have accidentally ended up somewhere green and confusing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am no closer to starting the space Jacobite rebellion but I seem to have accidentally ended up somewhere green and confusing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

turn off signatures

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Enjoy the Imp Zone

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Future Imp Zone flag

This sig under renovation

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

qnqnx posted:

Future Imp Zone flag

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

: Have another race join your alliance
: Retrieve the modified talking pet, Sun Device, or Precursor bomb
: Start a civil war between the Yehat clans

Finally worked out how to start the civil war (largely by reading other posters' screenshot dialogue, it doesn't count as outside help if it's in-thread) and sort of stumbled into the talking pet in the course of doing so. While killing time waiting for the Yehat quest to progress and after stealing the Thraddash relic, I stopped in to see my old pals the Umgah and they didn't seem very well. Seems like a freebie as long as you can kill a few weak ships but not complaining lol

I'm kind of out of questlines now and still don't really know what to do, guess I'll go visit some of the races on the other side of the map I haven't visited yet. I know the game has a time limit and I have no idea if I'm making good time or not but I'm having fun

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

have you figured out what became of all the species in the first alliance?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Getting jealous of everyone fighting the Ur-quan on time, while I am still scrounging for credits

This sig under renovation

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

While killing time waiting for the Yehat quest to progress and after stealing the Thraddash relic, I stopped in to see my old pals the Umgah and they didn't seem very well. Seems like a freebie as long as you can kill a few weak ships but not complaining lol

ohhhh, what a big hero!!!!!

turn off signatures

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dieting Hippo posted:

ohhhh, what a big hero!!!!!

- me, impressed at Subway

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arch Nemesis posted:

have you figured out what became of all the species in the first alliance?

I just me the sexy space babes lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

lol

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I'm pumped I finally tracked these guys down! I also found an old Ur-Quan warp core (?) on the way. I assume this relates to the green-glowing region of space / portals to other dimensions the Spathi and Melnorme mention, so I'm going to go hunting for that next. This game is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

symbolic posted:

Lmao