Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Mario + Rabbits Sparks of Hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Metroid Prime Remastered -- I hope indie/smaller devs start making clones of this when they get tired of making boomer shooters

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Like a Dragon Gaiden : The Man Who Took a poo poo

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Revenge of Shinobi -- Rambo, the Terminator, Spiderman, Batman and Godzilla are all dead. Neo ZEED is in shambles.

This game is marred by enemies shooting you from offscreen, leaps of faith, and the most finicky double jump ever. Other than that it's great (especially for 1989.)

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Shadow Dancer (Genesis) -- sick gameplay but only 5 stages. Revenge of Shinobi is better in several ways but I enjoyed playing them equally.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master -- Zeed is back with a bunch of auto-scollers, elevators and moving platform rides.

All 3 Genesis Shinobi games are good. RoS definitely has the best music and aesthetic, SD has the most intense combat and III has expanded gameplay, cool setpieces and more substantial bosses.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis) -- this game kicks rear end. I wish it had 7 levels corresponding to the 7 gems instead of only 5.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) -- I managed to get good enough at the bonus stages to get 3 continues and beat it. The later stages are pretty hard.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

mycophobia posted:

wow im literally playing this right now. whoa.

Goon luck gamer

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) -- Not much to say, just more Sonic.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Death's stage is also pretty hard and the holy water is before the checkpoint so even cheesing him is challenging.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic CD -- I like how the evil generators give you a reason to explore and learn the maps; there really isn't one in sonic 1 or 2. It takes awhile to find the past marker in each zone and look for a way to sustain enough speed to warp. I'm glad the game saves after each boss and there are unlimited continues.

The levels are mostly good but I didn't like Collision Chaos and Wacky Workbench. The bonus stages are almost great but it's a little too hard to see obstacles in the path and judge your distance from ufos.

Overall more interesting than 1 or 2 : this is a mature thinking-man's sonic befiting an expensive cd addon.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

A nice improvement on sonic 2. The new shield powerups are good but I couldn't hold on to them long enough to do anything cool. I wish it had a level where tails flies the plane.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic & Knuckles -- the better half of Sonic 3.

Well, that's all the Genesis Sonic games. If you play them in release order ( 1, 2, CD, 3, knuckles) they just keep getting better.

The one thing I really hate about these games is gating the true ending behind the STUPID bonus stages which are all glorified tech demos. Sonic CD is the only one to give an alternate route to the true ending.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Quackshot (Genesis) -- another great sega platformer. shooting people with the plunger is fun

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (Genesis)

The graphics in this are awesome for 1992 but the game is really short. I beat it in under an hour. The gameplay (as Mickey at least) isn't quite as good as Castle or Quackshot.

I wish Sega hadn't lost the Disney license and were able to make more of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Frenz posted:

World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (Genesis)

The graphics in this are awesome for 1992 but the game is really short. I beat it in under an hour. The gameplay (as Mickey at least) isn't quite as good as Castle or Quackshot.

I wish Sega hadn't lost the Disney license and were able to make more of these.

Went back and beat this as Donald since it adds a few harder screens.