Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

I like to think if I had a million dollars, to say nothing of several billion, I know the mind of active lifestyle I would lead.

that said, maybe id just get hooked to ketamine and pizza rolls.

https://x.com/superloafcat/status/1783507212771402221?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

I think he is using his money well. Baron Harkonnen cosplay is spot on, is this from Comic-Con?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I think he is using his money well. Baron Harkonnen cosplay is spot on, is this from Comic-Con?

Think about how many problems would be solved if he'd just develop himself a personal hoverbelt.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is everyone just pretending it's real for fun or what

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

T-Square posted:

If I was that rich I’d probably be fat as poo poo ngl

Rich people don't have to be fat anymore. There are drugs for that now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Fifty Three posted:

Right like look at the dude's mouth. It's lovely AI generated.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is there the fitness community puts such focus on protein intake and muscle mass? I know muscle mass is a predictor of longevity once you get old, but is there really much downside to just being low fat and low muscle in your 30s-50s as long as you're remaining active and getting cardio?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

Is there the fitness community puts such focus on protein intake and muscle mass? I know muscle mass is a predictor of longevity once you get old, but is there really much downside to just being low fat and low muscle in your 30s-50s as long as you're remaining active and getting cardio?

If you don't maintain some decent muscle mass it will be harder to move around. Imagine you're not maintaining muscle mass and you have a kid. Good luck lifting them up when you don't have enough muscle mass to do so.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’d like to learn more about your lives experience with this

TBH, I did most of the cutting in the community space behind the building. The balcony phase was mostly routing out mortises, sanding, staining, and assembly.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

General Dog posted:

Difficult and time consuming to eat the appropriate amount of protein a day without them, unless fitness is your fulltime job.

There are a ton of good studies linking healthy muscle mass and longevity, and at a certain point you lose the ability to gain muscle mass and are just kinda hanging on as along as you can. In that sense, yeah, that'd be a downside to being a skinny dude in your 30s - 50s. That goes out the window if you're a good runner though. Those people don't die.

Fifty Three posted:

yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
So add muscle add years?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What's the story with ketamine anyway? I saw a blurb about it the other day and celebrity use but didn't read any further.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

So add muscle add years?

obviously this doesn't apply to like doing a bunch of steroids to become a Mass Monster, but generally stronger, fitter people are going to do better in their later years, yes. That's not just because being strong is cool and good (it is) but obviously a life of weightlifting is going to develop a stronger heart. There are lots of studies about how backsquatting correlates to heart health relative to running x distance or whatever.

Now again if you don't lift but are some lifelong marathon runner you're going to get some sick life gains as well.

My favorite random factoid my internet supervising physician swickles has passed on to me? One of the best exam findings for good heart health? strong hand shake

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

wandler20 posted:

What's the story with ketamine anyway? I saw a blurb about it the other day and celebrity use but didn't read any further.

I haven't tried it myself but from what I've seen people who dig downers sometimes also like the disassociative* effect it can have (a k-hole). Personally I think it just plain ruins anything you mix it with.

*not sure if that's the right term but what I mean is the effect where you're kinda like having an out of body experience

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do not adequately work out or do weight lifting or run at all but I have a very strong handshake becuase of all of the hand tool woodworking I've been doing

working with hand planes and a card scraper and poo poo like that leaves my hands aching and sore and then in three days they are powerful and strong feeling and I do it again some more

I am generally a skinny guy but I am getting a bit of development in my forearms

does this mean I will live super long y/n

e. "old man strength" you guys know what that is I feel like it can go hand in hand (heh) with cigarettes and alcohol and grizzledness and an early grave so I bet this poo poo don't matter for me at all unless I get with the program and hit the fuckin' gym

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

I do not adequately work out or do weight lifting or run at all but I have a very strong handshake becuase of all of the hand tool woodworking I've been doing

working with hand planes and a card scraper and poo poo like that leaves my hands aching and sore and then in three days they are powerful and strong feeling and I do it again some more

I am generally a skinny guy but I am getting a bit of development in my forearms

e. "old man strength" you guys know what that is I feel like it can go hand in hand (heh) with cigarettes and alcohol and grizzledness and an early grave so I bet this poo poo don't matter for me at all unless I get with the program and hit the fuckin' gym

There is another form of hand tool woodworking that explains a strong grip.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Ketamine is a disassociative analgesic with hallucinatory properties that is useful in surgery, pain management, and now depression. Essentially with a found is that various depression scoring systems approved by the DSM-V show that patients have an almost immediate positive response with ketamine therapy, compared to SSRIs like Zoloft or Lexapro which generally require 4-6 weeks for patients to begin seeing effects. However, the positive mood benefits, just with pills, do not last for more than 6 months if the patient is not undergoing meaningful talk therapy at the same time. Ketamine is a wonderful drug for treatment resistant depression when used with the appropriate support system. What people are doing now is going to random clinics where they can just get an IV bag, or there like Elon who is just abusing it throughout the weekend on the weekends. I do not think any of us believe that he is doing any serious internal work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

ok but I also have a strong left hand so

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

ok but I also have a strong left hand so

:laffo: touché sir :tipshat:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I haven't tried it myself but from what I've seen people who dig downers sometimes also like the disassociative* effect it can have (a k-hole). Personally I think it just plain ruins anything you mix it with.

*not sure if that's the right term but what I mean is the effect where you're kinda like having an out of body experience

https://youtu.be/xuPNmXtomNw?si=RymwDAl3_qMBMSQb

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Silly Burrito posted:

Don't grip it too strong my dude.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah your hand will cramp
it's all about reps

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I will make a mega post about ketamine and its current uses when I get home.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

My favorite random factoid my internet supervising physician swickles has passed on to me? One of the best exam findings for good heart health? strong hand shake

Well then :smugdon: will live for a 5th term as it's known he has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VHIvwCehs

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Thank you, actually medical professionals, for your input because I was struggling to explain things in a non-cracked out way that would probably only specifically pertain to crackheads in general.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

I've always though of "old man strength" as having been a human body driver long enough to know how to achieve your maximum physical leverage in any situation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Ketamine is a disassociative analgesic with hallucinatory properties that is useful in surgery, pain management, and now depression. Essentially with a found is that various depression scoring systems approved by the DSM-V show that patients have an almost immediate positive response with ketamine therapy, compared to SSRIs like Zoloft or Lexapro which generally require 4-6 weeks for patients to begin seeing effects. However, the positive mood benefits, just with pills, do not last for more than 6 months if the patient is not undergoing meaningful talk therapy at the same time. Ketamine is a wonderful drug for treatment resistant depression when used with the appropriate support system. What people are doing now is going to random clinics where they can just get an IV bag, or there like Elon who is just abusing it throughout the weekend on the weekends. I do not think any of us believe that he is doing any serious internal work.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Never done ketamine myself but a quick search has someone saying:

"Psilocybin will take you to meet the universe, the universe will give you a hug and guide you on your way to healing.

Ketamine will take you to your real self and remove the blinders so that you can help yourself. "

Probably just stoner logic but I have had some wonderfully therapeutic experiences on mushrooms as well as just some really fun times without any life-changing revelations. A box of glow sticks with connectors + mushrooms is a fantastic way to spend an evening.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

obviously this doesn't apply to like doing a bunch of steroids to become a Mass Monster, but generally stronger, fitter people are going to do better in their later years, yes. That's not just because being strong is cool and good (it is) but obviously a life of weightlifting is going to develop a stronger heart. There are lots of studies about how backsquatting correlates to heart health relative to running x distance or whatever.

Now again if you don't lift but are some lifelong marathon runner you're going to get some sick life gains as well.

That’s very interesting. I’ve been doing more cardio specifically for heart but want to do what I can so I’ll look into weight training

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

That’s very interesting. I’ve been doing more cardio specifically for heart but want to do what I can so I’ll look into weight training

you definitely would get good benefit from it. nothing crazy, just a backsquat/deadlift/press program

i always recommend getting a coach when you're first starting or getting really into things or getting back in to it.

now also whichever MMA you were doing iirc is beneficial as well, as long as you don't tear something horrific but thats the case with everything. but we all need to be able to move a backsquat bar or a deadlift or a press.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah it’s definitely a trainer situation. They come with my gyms membership - just gotta sign up for specific things. Good heads up - thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm a distance runner who lifts (but not as often as I'd like), can't wait to make fun of you all when I outlive you.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
So meanwhile I just had a phone call with my parents, who spoke with my brother shortly before, and apparently he’s been off work for 3 weeks because he just came down with diabetes. To be clear, he’s one of the most fit and active people I know, avid mountain biker/skier/backpacker who surfs almost every day, so this isn’t obesity related. Better still, despite being a nurse working in a hospital his insurance will only let him see a nurse practitioner locally, the nearest endocrinologist is several hours away. loving genetics man!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thaddius the Large posted:

So meanwhile I just had a phone call with my parents, who spoke with my brother shortly before, and apparently he’s been off work for 3 weeks because he just came down with diabetes. To be clear, he’s one of the most fit and active people I know, avid mountain biker/skier/backpacker who surfs almost every day, so this isn’t obesity related. Better still, despite being a nurse working in a hospital his insurance will only let him see a nurse practitioner locally, the nearest endocrinologist is several hours away. loving genetics man!

so what I'm hearing is eat whatever the hell you want, life is a crapshoot anyway

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I just want to die skinny. Maybe my industry will help all of us meet that goal someday.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

General Dog posted:

I just want to die skinny. Maybe my industry will help all of us meet that goal someday.

I hope you haven't picked up a new job at Ex-lax.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I need to start adding my body weight and very mild lifting excercises back to my excercise bike routine now that I'm pretty consistent with it. I fell off to focus on the bike stuff and now I want to get that stuff back in. It's my other main summer self improvement goal along with staying up and doing the workout after I feed the cats around 6am instead of screwing my sleep schedule up by laying back down until around 7:15, then getting up to start work or go to the office. Still feels nice though that I've worked my way up to 45-50 minutes, 10-13 miles, and a 14ish mph average speed 4 times a week schedule for the bike though.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Silly Burrito posted:

limbremoval.com

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Silly Burrito posted:

Medical meth but not for ADHD

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I'm a distance runner who lifts (but not as often as I'd like), can't wait to make fun of you all when I outlive you.

*begins scribbling an outline for a sci fi short story about the last forum poster left on earth*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Docjowles posted:

*begins scribbling an outline for a sci fi short story about the last forum poster left on earth*

he breaks his last smoker so he can never bbq again