Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Now I'm imagining one with a teardrop tail and a giant wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

My signature move is "I'll just patch it in a hackey way for now and fix it right when i get the chance" turning into a permanent fix.

The poor person who bought my old truck probably hates me. Sorry about all the JB weld but some of it held up for 100k before it even got to you.

I was at an old employer's shop shooting the poo poo with the old boss a couple months back and I confirmed that my career's most desperate hail Mary hack fix has now done over 900000 km and is still working fine.

It has thus far outlasted the original unmolested component by 300000km.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anti-seize I buy semi-regularly, though the bottles always managed to get covered in grease and anti-seize, so they look decades old the minute I open them.

There's no clean way to use the stuff, you just have to accept that you and all of your surroundings are going to look like you gave the tin man a handjob for a while.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

meltie posted:

perhaps his buddy didn't use leftover F16 aircraft remover and leftover F16 zinc chromate first

yeah I mean without the aircraft remover you're stuck with the whole f16 and those aren't really known for their adhesion to wheels :dadjoke:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Gonna go look at a 2011 Volvo S40 T5 tomorrow. $3200. Can anyone give a quick rundown of why this is a good/ bad idea?...

https://york.craigslist.org/ctd/d/york-2011-volvo-s40-t5/7742698619.html

The situation is that my Legacy is hosed. I plan to get it sorted out eventually but I need a decent daily ASAP. I don't know a lot about these but after a very, very cursory amount of research I'm not seeing anything about these cars that screams RUN AWAY. I've always liked the look of them. Definitely my style. The price is right and from the photos it looks to be in fairly nice condition. Cosmetically anyway. If the listing is truthful and they aren't excluding anything horrifying I'd be inclined to take a chance on it.

I know what to look for as far identifying the big red flags but I'd appreciate the help if anybody with more intimate knowledge could point me towards the less obvious particulars that I might otherwise overlook.

FYI there's a Volvo thread and most goons there only read their sub'd threads so that's the best place to ask. That is a lot of miles, they're great cars and solid but you will be spending a lot on maintenance. Do a timing belt, a PCV/oil filter housing, a whole cooling system and both accessory belts as a baseline and be ready for some weird expensive stuff to break. They're reliable but they're not Camrys. They are mostly Focus parts but everything that isn't common to the focus or to all the other whiteblocks can be pricey, and there is a lot of it.