Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

They sorta did, they got Anya Taylor Joy, who looks like goddamn Alita: Battle Angel.

i still find it really funny that they cast Anya Taylor Joy as a fetus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i still find it really funny that they cast Anya Taylor Joy as a fetus

Typical Hollywood taking roles from good honest fetus actors and giving it to people who've been born.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mister Speaker posted:

They sorta did, they got Anya Taylor Joy, who looks like goddamn Alita: Battle Angel.

Who's only about 25 years too old

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

American Sniper showed us that we have the technology for photorealistic children now

:golfclap:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Speaking of child actors, actors who play children in their late 20s, and ATJ intersecting: Thomas Brodie-Sangster was real fine in Queen's Gambit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but Thomas is one of those people who will be 90 and still getting carded at bars

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember when we were talking about actors way too old to play teenagers still playing teenagers? This has to be some new kind of record.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sometimes i wonder, why don't more movies, thrillers in particular, try going mostly-no-music. I think it's cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes i wonder, why don't more movies, thrillers in particular, try going mostly-no-music. I think it's cool

There's always Bresson.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jay Rust posted:

It requires a pretty extreme confidence in the movie’s ability to hold the audience’s attention.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jay Rust posted:

Check out In a Violent Nature which is a bit like if Gus Van Sant and Terrence Malick teamed up to make a Friday the 13th film. At least 25% of it will s just the killer walking through the forest seen from behind.

No soundtrack.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 27, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Can't wait for uncanny valley deepfake children. Better than traumatizing kids I guess?

Just get an adult actor to kneel down and put shoes on their knees

Segue
May 23, 2007

Just rewatched To Sleep with Anger and man, even if they don't get big features anymore, having Charles Burnett and Danny Glover do a film together is something I'm so glad happened.

I saw they're potentially re-releasing Burnett's The Annihilation of Fish which is basically lost media and has both James Earl Jones and Margot Kidder.

God I wish Burnett had the career he deserved. What a talent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You ever watch a movie and be like, “drat I know I’ve seen that actor in something before…” and then realize you’re just remembering seeing them earlier in the movie?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm wondering how they're gonna handle Paul/Alia in Messiah if Denis ever gets around to it. She's supposed to be what, 16 years younger than Paul and Anya is like 6 months younger than Timmy C. He's gonna be like "yes, here I am, a 45 year old man, definitely believable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Paul is completely hosed up on a drug that makes you live longer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

You ever watch a movie and be like, “drat I know I’ve seen that actor in something before…” and then realize you’re just remembering seeing them earlier in the movie?

I think you've ODed on Movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm wondering how they're gonna handle Paul/Alia in Messiah if Denis ever gets around to it. She's supposed to be what, 16 years younger than Paul and Anya is like 6 months younger than Timmy C. He's gonna be like "yes, here I am, a 45 year old man, definitely believable.

put some wrinkles on him he'll be fine

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

put some wrinkles on him he'll be fine

No, go the other way. Put him in full-on Guy Pierce Prometheus make-up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Give him a moustache and male pattern baldness and he'll look old enough

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What's the time jump in the books?

They could make Paul be Chalamet's actual age now and have ATJ be his younger sister of an indeterminate age. Even though she looks older than him.

Doesn't the character age quicker than normal as well? Or is that just her mind? But I think I recall her being like an older kid when she did that thing to that guy with the thing and that was 4 years after she was born.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Waffleman_ posted:

Just get an adult actor to kneel down and put shoes on their knees

Orphan: First Kill (2022)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Carpet posted:

Orphan: First Kill (2022)

Game of Thrones Season 2 onwards

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I thought it was kind of the reverse. For 1000 reasons basically all the child characters were meant to be like 3-5 years older than in the books. Sometimes more. The actors playing the three middle Stark children just only started hitting puberty around the 2nd season.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 27, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

I thought it was kind of the reverse. For 1000 reasons basically all the child characters were meant to be like 3-5 years younger than in the books. Sometimes more. The actors playing the three middle Stark children just only started hitting puberty around the 2nd season.

I don't know about intentions, but in the books the Stark kids were aged 12-16. The show kids were noticably older, which imo is a good thing.

But then Sophie Turner never stopped growing and it became kinda hilarious.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bright Bart posted:

Doesn't the character age quicker than normal as well? Or is that just her mind? But I think I recall her being like an older kid when she did that thing to that guy with the thing and that was 4 years after she was born.

Just her mind, all the Fremen are like "drat, this toddler is a tier-one operator".

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't know about intentions, but in the books the Stark kids were aged 12-16. The show kids were noticably older, which imo is a good thing.

But then Sophie Turner never stopped growing and it became kinda hilarious.

Sorry I meant to write older than in my initial post!

I thought it was something like 6, 9, 12 in the books and 10, 11, 14 in the show. And the kids would have have able to play 11, 12, 15 by the second season but just basically looked like young children/pre-teens in the first one.

But it's okay since the show ages were just in the script and given in interviews so it doesn't really matter what the specifics are. And also because nobody is going to rewatch that show, even if seasons 1-2 are actually good television with 2 being the only real standout in the series.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bright Bart posted:

What's the time jump in the books?

They could make Paul be Chalamet's actual age now and have ATJ be his younger sister of an indeterminate age. Even though she looks older than him.

I think it's only like 11 or 12 years, plus the 3 year jump they already skipped. You could convincingly have Timmy C 12 years older with makeup, but then you have the problem that Alia is like 28 instead of 11 years old.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's only like 11 or 12 years, plus the 3 year jump they already skipped. You could convincingly have Timmy C 12 years older with makeup, but then you have the problem that Alia is like 28 instead of 11 years old.

She drank the Blue Goo, she can be any age, it doesn't matter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Paul is completely hosed up on a drug that makes you live longer.

yeah this is the same setting where canonically the previous Emperor was 77 when Paul deposed him and is describing as looking like he's in his 30s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah this is the same setting where canonically the previous Emperor was 77 when Paul deposed him and is describing as looking like he's in his 30s

hosed up on a drug that makes you a prescient immortal with no apparent downsides unless you become a hosed up space-fishman

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, it's happened when I've fallen asleep watching something and wake up and it's still on OR even better when it's like two Sidomak movies in a row and they share casts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gripweed posted:

there's a lovely creature feature on Prime Video i've seen twice and the second time i didn't realize i'd seen it before until it was almost over. i've also forgotten the name so it could conceivably happen again

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I know they say everything you can imagine being done has been done ten times over.

But I actually think a series where the cast are re-shuffled for a sequal to play different parts already introduced has never been done. Like the federale becomes the drug kingpin becomes the peasant farmer becomes the cop. Or the boss and subordinate switch. Not like one gets demoted and the other takes over the job. But than actors play the other's role.

It's clearly been done in theatre. And in isolated cases on TV. I don't think ever on film

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bright Bart posted:

I know they say everything you can imagine being done has been done ten times over.

But I actually think a series where the cast are re-shuffled for a sequal to play different parts already introduced has never been done. Like the federale becomes the drug kingpin becomes the peasant farmer becomes the cop. Or the boss and subordinate switch. Not like one gets demoted and the other takes over the job. But than actors play the other's role.

It's clearly been done in theatre. And in isolated cases on TV. I don't think ever on film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4GsnJXX1Y

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's a lovely creature feature on Prime Video i've seen twice and the second time i didn't realize i'd seen it before until it was almost over. i've also forgotten the name so it could conceivably happen again

Was it “Bog?” Because that happened to me with Bog.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Splint Chesthair posted:

Was it “Bog?” Because that happened to me with Bog.

How could you possibly forget the line “could it be some sort of… Dracula?”

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

The bigger the time jump the more plausible it seems. You can make it 18 years and if you make Timothy look paler and more weary & give him a different haircut and you can just imagine it's a mix of him being boyish looking in general and the Spice keeping him fit even without it being outright stated. AJT could, not convincingly, but plausibly if you squint, play an eighteen year old in that case. Especially with makeup and styling.

But the timeline in the film doesn't make too much sense to me anyways. Alia is supposed to be Paul's full sister, the daughter of the old duke and not the result of a fling with a Fremen man or a random concubine. It's the same pregnancy Paul senses years earlier, no? (I guess that isn't explicit to be fair.) Does gestation just take far longer for future humans?

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Bright Bart posted:

The bigger the time jump the more plausible it seems. You can make it 18 years and if you make Timothy look paler and more weary & give him a different haircut and you can just imagine it's a mix of him being boyish looking in general and the Spice keeping him fit even without it being outright stated. AJT could, not convincingly, but plausibly if you squint, play an eighteen year old in that case. Especially with makeup and styling.

But the timeline in the film doesn't make too much sense to me anyways. Alia is supposed to be Paul's full sister, the daughter of the old duke and not the result of a fling with a Fremen man or a random concubine. It's the same pregnancy Paul senses years earlier, no? (I guess that isn't explicit to be fair.) Does gestation just take far longer for future humans?

It's just the movie has a waaay compressed timeline, I believe. Less than 9 months from Leto's death to Paul's ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Bright Bart posted:

Cloud Atlas