Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Love Lies Bleeding was awesome and left me a nervous wreck in a good way.

Frustrating AMC theater experience tho, 'cause they showed it with the sides of the image cut off. I tried to tell them beforehand and they just said "that's the movie," and afterwards they claimed they were sent the wrong aspect ratio or something. I'm guessing AMC doesn't really bother to train anyone or idk if they even literally employ a "projectionist" anymore, but that has to be BS right?? Like even if something is not the right fit for that screen you'd have to be better off zooming it out to show the whole image right? I have no expertise with any of the hardware but there's no way you just... can't see the whole movie sometimes.

here's what my credits looked like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wasn't a fan of Jake Loyd either, but this is pretty awesome.

https://twitter.com/ERodBuster1/status/1772421736350269814?t=4bUBVzdDda9amVpqvLT4vg&s=19

Edit: I think it's incredibly hard to find good actors that young, I remember seeing some old noir film with a really annoying child actor and when I looked up who it was loving Dean Stockwell.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 26, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jake and Ahmed didn't deserve any of what they went through. All they did was be in a movie, man.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

To add to my last post, after sitting with it for a bit, I think All That Jazz might be one of the best movies ever made? Or at least a new favorite, personal top 5 easily. Have seen a lot of movies do similar stuff with fantasy elements compounding until they take over the flick, but never with as much grace and charm as this one does. Bojack Horsemen immediately comes to mind, but I think the "this is your life" episode there doesn't resonate as strongly as Joe's song and dance numbers do. When his daughter does the solo performance of "hey you're not going to be around to see me grow old", just oof. Yet it never loses the wit in Joe's sarcasm and self-destruction.

That finale is such a loving banger too. Felt like what Andy Warhol's Factory was probably going for with so much shine and sparkle. What a final cut.

It's just perfect. I kind of want to watch Fosse's other movies, but I think I hosed up by seeing his crown work. Can't stop thinking about it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 26, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

therattle posted:

Watched American Fiction on the weekend. Liked it a lot.

The best character makes a sudden and dramatic edit at the end of the first act even though it seems they'll be around throughout.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Air Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/ERodBuster1/status/1772421736350269814?t=4bUBVzdDda9amVpqvLT4vg&s=19

Edit: I think it's incredibly hard to find good actors that young, I remember seeing some old noir film with a really annoying child actor and when I looked up who it was loving Dean Stockwell.

There are some fine child actors occasionally. But granted they're usually two or three years older than that. And it's really noticeable when you have an average 11 year old play being eight or nine.

My favourite CGM bit takes place not in a movie actually but in Kick-rear end extras where she casually explains that no teen knife enthusist could do her stunts for 1000 reasons so she had to learn the tricks and got cut pretty bad one time.

And Elle Fanning is just an obvious one. On the Super 8 extras she says on the first take of one of the scenes where she's acting in the kids' video they asked her to think of a melodramatic movie because yeah she's the best of them but she's still a kid. I don't think it was meant to be pretentious I think that would have been a real note. There is a period of her work I won't watch however because she has always played older than her actual age and films had her in clothes and situations they really probably shouldn't have. It's creepy. I actually find the reverse creepy too. When an actor looks much younger for than their age for medical reasons and so plays people five years, sometimes ten years younger. I mean it's like I'm happy they're getting paid when otherwise it might be hard for them to find good jobs but it's pretty disconcerting watching a 17 year old acting and speaking like a sixth grader.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of child actors, has anyone here actually seen Bugsy Malone, because it seems like an insane idea for a movie.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Oh yeah. Imagine pitching that.

'I want to make a movie about Prohibition. Specifically Italian Americans who get caught up in the violence whether they want to or not.'

Excellent. Who will play the leads?

'They'll all be tiny people. Literal children. They'll fire blanks instead of real bullets and drink fake liquor on screen, but they'll smoke real cigarettes because it's the 1970s and the actors all smoke anyways and plus nobody cares.'

Imagine signing off on that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Oh yeah. Imagine pitching that.

'I want to make a movie about Prohibition. Specifically Italian Americans who get caught up in the violence whether they want to or not.'

Excellent. Who will play the leads?

'They'll all be tiny people. Literal children. They'll fire blanks instead of real bullets and drink fake liquor on screen, but they'll smoke real cigarettes because it's the 1970s and the actors all smoke anyways and plus nobody cares.'

Imagine signing off on that.

And it's a musical. gently caress, now I kinda think I wanna watch it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Watched Bugsy Malone in school, remember it being fine? Some catchy songs. It's very cartoon-like.

All That Jazz absolutely slaps, watched it at the end of last year. Would recommend A Matter of Life and Death as something that's clearly in the inspiration mix for it but also a great movie in its own regard.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

To add to my last post, after sitting with it for a bit, I think All That Jazz might be one of the best movies ever made? Or at least a new favorite, personal top 5 easily. Have seen a lot of movies do similar stuff with fantasy elements compounding until they take over the flick, but never with as much grace and charm as this one does. Bojack Horsemen immediately comes to mind, but I think the "this is your life" episode there doesn't resonate as strongly as Joe's song and dance numbers do. When his daughter does the solo performance of "hey you're not going to be around to see me grow old", just oof. Yet it never loses the wit in Joe's sarcasm and self-destruction.

That finale is such a loving banger too. Felt like what Andy Warhol's Factory was probably going for with so much shine and sparkle. What a final cut.

It's just perfect. I kind of want to watch Fosse's other movies, but I think I hosed up by seeing his crown work. Can't stop thinking about it.

Yeah All That Jazz is jaw droppingly good.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’ve never seen Bugsy Malone, but the great Paul Williams wrote all the songs, and the ones I’ve heard were great. Dumb premise but I want to watch it just for the music.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I liked toddler psychic Hitler from Looper. Kid was like four and they got a pretty good character out of him. Must have taken forever

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cabaret is quite good too. Liza Minnelli gives a fantastic performance. Sweet Charity isn't as good, but it is more of a traditional musical and has some great song and dance sequences (Austin Powers borrows choreography from this).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Air Skwirl posted:

I just want to say, part of the reason his performance isn’t great is because George Lucas wasn’t very good at directing actors in the original trilogy, either. Jake Lloyd deserved much better.

Air Skwirl posted:

Speaking of child actors, has anyone here actually seen Bugsy Malone, because it seems like an insane idea for a movie.

I have not but I have seen Hawk Jones, a detective movie starring actual children. Like, everyone in the cast is under 10.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hawk Jowns

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

checkplease posted:

Cabaret is quite good too. Liza Minnelli gives a fantastic performance. Sweet Charity isn't as good, but it is more of a traditional musical and has some great song and dance sequences (Austin Powers borrows choreography from this).

Saw Cabaret ages ago, if it weren't for Little Shop of Horrors it would be my favorite musical. Recall the movie being great but I'm more partial to the show done on the stage - in particular the 90's run with Alan Cumming as the Emcee -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5eFCFnW9c. Personally really like their take that Sally isn't that great an actual performer. Jane Horrocks rendition of 'Life is a Cabaret' is incredibly uncomfortable in the best ways.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 26, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I just want to say, part of the reason his performance isn’t great is because George Lucas wasn’t very good at directing actors in the original trilogy, either. Jake Lloyd deserved much better.

That's probably fair, A New Hope is carried a lot by the shear charisma of Harrison Ford, and it's a bit much to expect a 9 year old to be able to pull something like that off. Comparing even like Ewan McGregor in Phantom Menace versus Trainspotting or something you'd almost think they were completely different people.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
And then there's Kore-eda who gets amazing performances from every child actor he works with - and that's most of his films too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

reminder that the year after Attack of the Clones, Hayden Christensen burned the screen down in Shattered Glass.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bugsy Malone is absolutely terrific.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah when the actor is under-10ish I pretty much ascribe a performance to a a great director creating a set environment that allows them to be talented. My example for this would be Lenny Abrahamson directing Jacob Tremblay in Room, where he is devastatingly good, and not so much elsewhere that I've seen.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Saw Cabaret ages ago, if it weren't for Little Shop of Horrors it would be my favorite musical. Recall the movie being great but I'm more partial to the show done on the stage - in particular the 90's run with Alan Cumming as the Emcee -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5eFCFnW9c. Personally really like their take that Sally isn't that great an actual performer. Jane Horrocks rendition of 'Life is a Cabaret' is incredibly uncomfortable in the best ways.

At around 58 seconds he makes exactly the same face as Chalomet does sometimes

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How old was the kid in The Babadook?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Saw Cabaret ages ago, if it weren't for Little Shop of Horrors it would be my favorite musical. Recall the movie being great but I'm more partial to the show done on the stage - in particular the 90's run with Alan Cumming as the Emcee

The new staging in London with Jake Shears from the Scissor Sisters as the MC and Self Esteem as Sally is excellent - she really nails the slippy desperation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's so funny that Bob Fosse decided one day to direct movies, and then made 5 excellent films in a row.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's so funny that Bob Fosse decided one day to direct movies, and then made 5 excellent films in a row.

Star 80 is incredible, albeit an extremely bleak, unpleasant movie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I haven't watched star80 yet. Feels like one I need to mentally prepared for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a cathedral to a truly amazing Eric Roberts performance.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Fosse was amazing, Lenny and Star 80 are both grimy must-sees. His choreography also was obviously next-level - mean, kinda hosed up, harsh and menacing. He could take a piece of anodyne nostalgia like Sing, Sing, Sing and turn it into a coked-out fever dream by pushing the dancers absolutely to their limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOQll6252o

The sense of too-muchness and self-destruction is always the first thing that gets scrubbed from his choreography in revivals, lol. It bums me out that Kander and Ebb never got to do a They Shoot Horses musical with him because I think it would've been a perfect combo, though I think his depiction of them in All That Jazz as fussy little f-slurs probably killed that collab.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a cathedral to a truly amazing Eric Roberts performance.

That was the first thing I saw where I realized he’s actually a legit extremely talented actor. Not long after that, I caught Runaway Train too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve done shorts starring a 9 year old and a 16 year old and I thought both were pretty great just in general not just for their age. I think it just comes down both their talent and treating them ya know like a person instead of someone younger.

Jake Lloyd really wasn’t worse than any of the adult actors in the prequels so I never got why he was the above all worst. Seriously Hayden was way worse in attack of the clones. Or Portman in Rots.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one below the age of 18 should be allowed on a movie set

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

No one below the age of 18 should be allowed on a movie set

No teenagers either. >20.

I'm not 100% kidding.

You can make great art without endangering people too young to ensure their own safety.

(I'd actually be really interested in a simple survey, with the one question being 'If you could go back and not have been a child actor, but still have an acting career as an adult, would you? Absolutely/Yes/Maybe/Probably Not/No.;' being given anonymously to members of the academy with credits from before lets say the age of 21.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 26, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't wait for uncanny valley deepfake children. Better than traumatizing kids I guess?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Uncanny valley deep fake kids will traumatize more kids than just filming normally

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
American Sniper showed us that we have the technology for photorealistic children now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

American Sniper showed us that we have the technology for photorealistic children now

Same, but the final Twilight film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Same, but the final Twilight film.

i still kinda think the Twilight baby is how they should've done Alia in Dune 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i still kinda think the Twilight baby is how they should've done Alia in Dune 2

They sorta did, they got Anya Taylor Joy, who looks like goddamn Alita: Battle Angel.