Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Happy New Year, I declare 2024 to be The Year Of The Movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

How many other movies/stories follow this pattern? Do any subvert it (like by showing how a quixotic quest just ends up nearly destroying the person's life and that's a good thing because other people's lives actually do have meaning and value too, not just the solipsistic protagonist's)? I'm sure I could think of some (lol yeah there's Don Quixote)

The TV show The Dropout from a couple of years ago was a fun take on this kind of story. It's a dramatization of the Elizabeth Holmes story so there's a lot of stuff early on with Holmes being a scrappy underdog in the biotech industry fighting against the more experienced people telling her she can't make her dream a reality, only in this case those people telling her to give up on her dreams were absolutely correct and she was making a product that didn't work at all and was a huge scam.

Zodiac is a good movie about obsession as well.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Silly question, probably the wrong place for it, feel free to kick me out if needed, etc ...

... but name me an actor in a given role whose character moves from goofy to menacing, naturally.

I'm not talking "the psychopath who occasionally tells a joke" like Michael Mando in Far Cry or Ledger's Joker, but someone normally gregarious, who occasionally lets the mask slip.

I don't know why I'm asking, just that i honestly can't think of any and I'm sure as soon as someone posts an answer I'm going to feel dumb as poo poo for not remembering them :(

John Goodman in Barton Fink.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Robert Prosky in Thief is also a good one.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

The most recent movie I saw was The Boy and the Heron. I would rank it lower in comparison to the other Miyazaki movies I've seen but it gave me a lot to think about. There are several ways to read the film that all feel like compelling arguments and it's been really interesting to see what people take away from it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The list is a work in progress and open to suggestions.

-Does the movie have a 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 in at least one shot?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I think Highlander would lose something without Lambert in the lead. He comes across as weird and kind of spooky in a way that I don't think 80's Kurt Russell would.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I just finished watching Barry (really good btw) and am probably going to watch Reacher next because after four seasons of dark comedy about the soul killing nature of violence I would honestly love to just watch a great big man destroy some bad guys.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought the big shift the last season of Barry took was a huge miscalculation but the first three and a half or so seasons were so good

I thought it was interesting to see the ways that Barry manipulated his son into seeing him as he wanted to be seen by others, but it was not great for the pacing and it resulted in some of the side characters like Gene having a bit of a rushed ending. All the stuff with him getting framed felt like it was two or three episodes of plot crammed into the back half of an episode.

therattle posted:

Yeah, Barry was good. We are about to watch the last episode of Fargo S5. My tasteful cousin also highly recommended A Spy Among Friends, which is really excellent. Extremely good writing. If you enjoyed Tinker Tailor it’ll be right up your alley.

Will add this to the watch list for sure.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 18, 2024

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Yeah I liked the actual final episode, and that moment specifically, a lot.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I will NEVER be sick of Patrick Wilson.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's the oldest age an actor was cast to play a regular high school student completely unironically?

Not counting biopics.

I think Angourie Rice is going to play high schoolers till she's 30

Ben Platt was around 27 when they would have been filming Dear Evan Hansen and while I'm sure there are older people who have played high schoolers he definitely looks like he's the oldest.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Smokey and the Forklift Certified Bandit

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

oh god oh gently caress posted:

For the love of god tell me who the real agent argyle is

It's Special Agent Hitler from the Kingsman movies and that's how it all ties together.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Cruise's strongest performances are the ones that take advantage of the fact that underneath his surface level charm he's an undeniably weird and off putting guy. He's fun in stuff like the MI movies or Last Samurai but he really shines when he's playing some kind of weird creep like in Magnolia, Interview with the Vampire, Eyes Wide Shut, or Collateral.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the nepo baby thing isn't gonna get really fun until a generation or two from now when everyone in hollywood starts showing signs of inbreeding

In 2095 everyone will be talking about which actors have that classic "Skarsgard jaw" or "Hemsworth nose."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Watching She Devil. Movies from the 50s are wild. The patient is a young unmarried woman and the doctor is a man in a position of authority over so I guess he’s basically her dad? Or, like, owns her a little bit?

If you want to see an older movie that's actively commenting on that kind of stuff the original Cat People from the 40's is great.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I found this channel: https://youtube.com/@newcastleafterdark405?si=6OD1sv9-rsyx43Ob
The hosts are annoying so I skip that, but they have a bunch of fun old b-flims in full.

I watched The Blood on Satan's Claw on this channel a couple of years ago and it was definitely easy enough to skip right through the relatively few segments with the hosts. They have some good stuff on there.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

A beekeeper would never endanger his bees by placing them in a heated combat scenario and any combat training they may give to the bees would only be for a worst case situation where they had to defend themselves. They respect the bees too much to knowingly put them in harms way and in that way Jason Statham as The Beekeeper is a true embodiment of the beekeeper spirit.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It got me thinking, what is the best song created to be a diegetic song with in the world of a movie?

edit: this question only applies to movies because if you included TV then it just becomes what's your favorite Fire Bomber song.

Outer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

Space!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What always bothered me about this scene was, why does Adam driver have a guitar? He doesn’t touch it during the song

It's funnier that way.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I hate that song.

It's loving awful and was written about a lady that turned him down when he asked her out and she thought he was huge weirdo for writing a song about her lol.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

The Onion's best video stuff was in 2012 with the incredible trio of Sex House, Lake Dredge Appraisal, and Porkin' Across America.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's day CD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysg3uJPstk

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Good luck, glad it's been going over so well! Love that Gústi!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Viggo Mortenson in The Prophecy is up there for me for movie Satans. I don't typically find the devil scary in movies but Mortenson manages to come across as pretty spooky. For a more fun loving Lucifer I like Tom Waits in Doctor Parnassus.

As for a couple of actors who I think would do a good job in the role: Jake Gyllenhaal or Stephen Root.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

On rare occasions I'll have to split up watching a movie between two nights. I'm not free to start watching a movie until 830 most nights (and I'm usually up at 530 on weekdays) so anything over 2 hours can risk getting split up if I start getting too tired. I don't like to do it but ultimately it's better than trying to finish a movie while I'm mostly asleep.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

The potion seller knows the strength of his own potions and was only being responsible by not selling them to the knight. If the knight had just trusted the potion seller's expertise from the start instead of being stubborn he would have avoided going through such emotional turmoil!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

First they complain when he's a full working day's amount of time late and then they get upset when he tries to make up for the lost time by peeing in bottles on the set! Some people are impossible to please!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

All the sex scenes are in TV shows now.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://x.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1786825517208846767

This is a really good prompt, curious if there are more good examples than those offered here?

Citizen Kane's the big one I can think of.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

RIP. May his funeral be a fast and thrifty production. It's what he would have wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Buried in the finest chipboard coffin painted to look like mahogany as long you just keep it in the background, and can be reused for at least 6 more funerals he's planning.

Strapping the coffin to the roof of a car and rushing to the nearest funeral home right after the last service of the day ends so that they can get set up before the staff have had the chance to clear out the floral arrangements.