Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Hello Movie Goons,
Is there a thread here or another subforum for film industry goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I guess even if it existed it'd just be people bitching about there being no work right now. Still, surprised there aren't more BTL crew in SA.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

BonoMan posted:

There's some niche threads (CG, Editing/PostProd) but no real industry thread. Are you looking for a specific area or just film industry in general?

I guess more in general. I was reading r/filmindustryLA and getting annoyed at the redditor dumbasses therein, and it occurred to me I never really sought out the same kind of stuff here. Facebook groups are beset by boomer Facebook drama, subreddits are 60% "I'm about to graduate, should I move to LA?" and "how do I become a director? I'm too shy to network." And both are full of doomers and shills who can't stop plugging Open.AI products that are coming for our jobs.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Occasionally it would also be people making jokes about grips and talking about craft services

Basically this. Movie set shitposting, but goonier. I wanted to talk about Grips eating crayons.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Make a thread and I'll sticky it for while and see if it's productive

I made a thread. If there's no film crew interest in it, maybe at least people can use it as an Ask/Tell thread about what it's like to throw your life away on set.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056934&pagenumber=1#lastpost

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Late to the party as usual but I have an anecdote about grips being dumbasses and I'm not even really film industry. I saw your thread but I don't want to stink it up with this as a first reply, hope it's OK for a GenChat thread.

A couple of years ago I had a motorcycle that I'd park behind the garbage bins just a couple feet from the sidewalk, right outside my bedroom window. I was very protective of it because my last bike had gotten stolen. It had an alarm. One day this film crew descended on the neighbourhood, they were shooting something in a house a bit up the street from me. They used the little corner where the garbage bins are as something of a staging area to hold spare C-stands and for grips to sit around on apple boxes.

I worked a day shift that day, and came home to my bike alarm going off. Repeatedly. These idiots were bumping into it, leaning on it, all sorts of poo poo even though it was literally tucked behind two large garbage bins they couldn't stop touching it. I stuck my head out the window and told them to knock it off, but it kept happening.

So I called my buddy who's pretty high up in the local IA Grips department. He said "if those were my guys I'd have sent them home already. Go out and demand to talk to their ALM, and they'll get smoked out." So I did that, and they went white as a sheet, and the ALM did send someone home without pay, and none of them touched my bike again.

I'd love to get more work with the union (I'm technically a permit) but morons like that really put me off of it.

Dawg, if you even know what an IA permitee IS, that thread is definitely for you. :justpost:

I am very guilty of poo poo-talking grips because it's easy, but they're so essential to the process that I should probably shut up, especially as a part-time pencil pusher and bandaid technician. Grips, please come to my thread and defend your honor! Please don't crucify me on steeldeck!

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

every job has a pecking order and I assume the grips all complain about whoever is lower than them

Set PAs and off-production crew (office, accounting) are indeed subject to grip ridicule. Also the poor sound guy gets to listen to them talk during takes.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

The bigger the time jump the more plausible it seems. You can make it 18 years and if you make Timothy look paler and more weary & give him a different haircut and you can just imagine it's a mix of him being boyish looking in general and the Spice keeping him fit even without it being outright stated. AJT could, not convincingly, but plausibly if you squint, play an eighteen year old in that case. Especially with makeup and styling.

But the timeline in the film doesn't make too much sense to me anyways. Alia is supposed to be Paul's full sister, the daughter of the old duke and not the result of a fling with a Fremen man or a random concubine. It's the same pregnancy Paul senses years earlier, no? (I guess that isn't explicit to be fair.) Does gestation just take far longer for future humans?

It's just the movie has a waaay compressed timeline, I believe. Less than 9 months from Leto's death to Paul's ascension.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
Jeanne Tripplehorn?

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

Red Rox posted:

She was never a leading lady, mostly supporting roles.

I won't stand idly by for this senseless Mickey Blue Eyes erasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I assure you, you do not. Even the most hardcore TripleHead would likely have trouble with that one.

Yeah, as silly as I think the /s sarcasm indicator is, I really should have used one if the alternative is a well-meaning goon forcing themselves to watch that movie.