Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ANN posted:

In a world where humans coexist with androids called Neans, a group known as the Immortal Nine rises up against society. Tasked with disposing of the revolters, a Nean named Rouge Redstar (aka Metal Rouge) and investigator Naomi Orthmann head to Mars to track them down...but first, Rouge wants some chocolate.

A Bones original to celebrate their 25th anniversary, Metallic Rouge really comes off as a sleek and stylish mecha/tech-noir mix in the numerous promos put out for it.

PV 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GvzeHi8puU
PV 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATmG9cF0Do
PV 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN1Xu5eivPM
PV 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5YYkvoUGk
CR trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kug8oveFiU
OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fom6S9VjavQ
"Special Music Clip - Crimson Lightning": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l68PikAiX4

Premiering 00:55 Thursday JST/10:55 AM Wednesday EST. Hoip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1744811501079171540?t=kfmfmn4AtNs4PVhakeeb3w&s=19

Getting the simuldub and Sapphire is playing Naomi.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 9, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Secelia with full screentime...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Rouge Redstar is one Gundam-rear end name

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

turns out i got the time wrong in the OP for the CR premiere whoops lol, managed to catch it on an alternate website tho & spoilering my thoughts for now

ep 1 was insanely kickass as expected. god bless Bones, high hopes for this series if it keeps up with the score and fight scenes being that epic though i think a good bit hinges on how they unravel the plot and worldbuilding since ep 1 didn't explain too much at all (not a bad thing ofc, show don't tell etc, but it's gotta be paced well to make it not confusing). if it just keeps up being Blade Runner with mechsuit fights, it's gonna be one of the most badass things of all time

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

that first episode owned hard, absolutely adore the blade runner meets mega man x vibe of everything, and it looks incredible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Cool music, good atmosphere wonder what's going on with Rouge's memory

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

that first episode owned hard, absolutely adore the blade runner meets mega man x vibe of everything, and it looks incredible.

Holy hell don't think I've ever read a sentence that's sold a show that instantly for me before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Definite Blade Runner vibes. I'm intrigued. I'll check out the dub later but so far this is good.

Viola speedrunning the Roy Batty lifecycle and arguing that Neans are just as human as humans only to get wiped was a good way to get that particular Android/Human dichotomy out of the way quickly.

EDIT: Okay, rewatched with the dub and it's also quite good. The guy voicing Hell Giallon is going wild with ham and I want to see more of him. The dub voice for Sarah/Viola was the weakest, IMO and a couple of line reads felt like they were off, but nothing actively bad.

The character preview images called him Jaron Fate so maybe that's his other name when he's not going robot mode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 11, 2024

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Is it just me or does Rouge look like Swindler from Akudama Drive?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's just straight black hair with straight bangs and a streak, a very normal haircut for Japanese women.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

symbolic posted:

A Bones original to celebrate their 25th anniversary,

Oh, okay, this makes a lot of sense- I sat down to watch and was immediately hit by just how much it felt like someone gave a gently caress when making it. I love that.

Think I'm going to have to rewatch that, maybe a couple of times, and take in all the little details before I can start ruminating on the plot or w/e.

So "giallo" and "viola" are both Italian colour words, but "rouge" is French. Different factions of robot? Completely irrelevant?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
A little confusing start with the terms and being thrown in a bit in the middle of things but that's what a three ep test is for after all. The music utterly slaps though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Naomi rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The insert song does sound like some Imagine Dragons track but it also rules

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Caphi posted:

It's just straight black hair with straight bangs and a streak, a very normal haircut for Japanese women.

Idk feels like more than that to me. Later, I will Google image search these two and find out if I am right. Now, I will just post.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I just watched this and was very confused and then it turned into Power Rangers

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I'm not sold on the first episode. It looks nice enough but it's like, all the story pieces are just kind of thrown around and I need more episodes of them putting things in actual order.

Also the robots don't look that cool.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah I'm not sold on the first episode. It looks nice enough but it's like, all the story pieces are just kind of thrown around and I need more episodes of them putting things in actual order.
while i agree they're interjected in rather sporadically with little explanation, it was enough for me to get the gist of what's going on, though i've said i think in the winter thread that this show being in my top 5 AOTY or not hinges entirely on how they pace out the story from here on out. anyways, that's-

Rody One Half posted:

Also the robots don't look that cool.
alright gtfo motherfucker, ADTRW is troll-free

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It feels pretty obvious that the second episode will take a step back to lay out what's going on, I've seen plenty of in media res first episodes like this for the sake of getting to the action

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I'm not saying it WON'T explain anything, only that my first impressions are what they are!

symbolic posted:

Come on man that Joker motherfucker sucks

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 11, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

i like my Joker-lite villains and the mechsuits are cool!!!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the mech suits are very gba and ds-era mega man in a fun way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jokerbot was the best part.

When Rouge was looking through Naomi's recording glasses and freaked out when she saw Metal Rouge confronting Sara, I was at first thinking it was a quirk of her maybe having memory issues since Naomi had made a comment about Rouge malfunctioning a scene before when she kept repeating herself. After my second watch it's clear that she's surprised at seeing herself there rather than her having a memory malfunction, which gets the payoff when Giallon reveals his mimic ability.

I'm betting Giallon was nearby when Metal Rouge killed the other two Neans so that he could mimic her mech form perfectly, since all the other footage of that attack was blurry and pixelated by the news broadcasters own admission.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 11, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

When Rouge was looking through Naomi's recording glasses and freaked out wuen she saw Metal Rouge confronting Sara, I was at first thinking it was a quirk of her possibly having memory issues since Naomi had made a comment about her possibly malfunctioning a scene before. After my second watch it's clear that she's surprised at seeing herself there rather than her not having a memory malfunction, which gets the payoff when Giallon reveals his mimic ability.

that's a good catch, didn't think of it that way

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

symbolic posted:

The glows are a bit much for me and I'm not the biggest fan of the head shapes.

Rody One Half posted:

That's the best one!

symbolic posted:

i like my Joker-lite villains and the mechsuits are cool!!!

Are they actually mech suits? Like, was that established in the pre-release material? Cause they definitely seem to be robot people underneath, and the transformation effect has more of a "dropping a glamour" feel than a "putting on a suit" one to me.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Are they actually mech suits? Like, was that established in the pre-release material? Cause they definitely seem to be robot people underneath, and the transformation effect has more of a "dropping a glamour" feel than a "putting on a suit" one to me.

i've just been defaulting to that, not entirely sure what they are but it's semantics

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They're suits because it's Kamen Rider convention (or to be precise Kikaider but who's counting).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The start of the episode was very Blade Runner

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rody One Half posted:

I actually liked evil Vash the Stampede.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aliens huh, well okay then

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

• Old Lady Who Can Drive is the coolest character in the show.
  • The aliens are mentioned very briefly in the first episode, as part of a conspiracy theory where Neans are spies of theirs. For the Visitors, specifically, not the Usurpers. I had that down as something to pay attention to if it was ever brought up again, and I guess it has been. :toot:
  • So is Rouge three laws compliant or not? I don't think there's any evidence either way in the first ep, but here she definitely harms that one merc.
  • Additionally to that, Naomi identifies the Nean corpse as one that fought alongside humans. As opposed to ones that didn't, I have to assume.
  • Neans appear to have skeletons of bone and to bleed something that looks like blood when they're shot. Behaviour too is very human, in both this episode and the last. If Rouge does count as a Nean, her personality is atypically strange.
  • The cylinder head punks the LAVs the mercs brought with them. We might not expect them to have cutting edge military gear, but that seems to me to indicate that conventional human ground forces were completely outclassed during the war.
  • An obvious one, but the guy that Rouge finds fondling the cylinder head was at the transport station at the beginning of the ep, and did not get on the transport with them. So that's gonna another one of the Nine, I guess, unless it's Giallon in disguise.
  • Suplexing a mech out of a wall run into another mech owns. Obviously.

Slower ep this week, more exposition. Still great. Interested to see if the characters introduced this ep will stick around at all. Obviously the suspicious guy is going to be recurring, but I'm not sure we're done with the journalist or the doctor yet either.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

lol the guy talking about Mars Attacks!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Show gains a point for having a badass granny and another point for referencing Mars Attacks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This really does feel like an early to mid-2000s Bones production that happened to release in 2024. The one Nean in this episode was literally just Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist and it seems it's going for the same episodic pace as a lot of other Bones original series.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sindai posted:

Show gains a point for having a badass granny and another point for referencing Mars Attacks

I'm always happy when a show recognizes how cool a powerful granny is

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i liked this episode more than the first one (minus the aesthetic downgrade from hazy neon cyberpunk to boring desert). it has a lot of fun toying around with misleading first impressions and expectations, but we still get to see who rouge and naomi are as people. namely, how they view their relationship, how they relate to others, and (mostly rouge here) how they perceive themselves. pretty clear that identity is going to be an important through line for the show at this point, at least when they're not fighting aliens and getting tricked by vash the stampede.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

King of Solomon posted:

I'm always happy when a show recognizes how cool a powerful granny is

the grandma is badass but the little girl ignoring the killer alien robot warnings to get a cool picture is my favorite side character moment this week

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

This really does feel like an early to mid-2000s Bones production that happened to release in 2024.

And I love it for that. I can feel my soul healing from all these low effort isekai adaptations.

Give me 48 episodes and a Gainax ending Bones you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i just started ep 2 but i want to comment first on just how goddamn catchy the OP is