Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Time for some endgame twists. So Noir is Gene's actual father making him a half-nean since Noir was banging Eva rather than Roy Junghart. PuppetMaster takes off his mask but we don't see his face, so he's either a Usurper or he's Roy working for the Usurpers as revenge for the Neans killing him/failing to kill him

Pretty minimal budget on this one. Some scenes looked like they dipped into animating on 3s or even 4s by the end. Two episodes left and it feels like the show is lurching forward rather than shifting into high gear for a finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This show really went off the rails in a way I don't enjoy and it kind of threw all intrigue and interest the plot had out the window. Along with most of the main character's screen time and action I guess.

Arc Hammer posted:

Time for some endgame twists. So Noir is Gene's actual father making him a half-nean since Noir was banging Eva rather than Roy Junghart. PuppetMaster takes off his mask but we don't see his face, so he's either a Usurper or he's Roy working for the Usurpers as revenge for the Neans killing him/failing to kill him

Pretty minimal budget on this one. Some scenes looked like they dipped into animating on 3s or even 4s by the end. Two episodes left and it feels like the show is lurching forward rather than shifting into high gear for a finale.

The only two characters I can think of for whom this twist could possibly work in any way without everyone just going "who is this and why do we care?" are Roy or Eva. Roy is most likely because the puppet master is very clearly a dude and it was his death that instigated the entire series, but also based on those memory flashbacks he didn't seem to have any actual emotional attachment to the neans in any way. The double twist of it being Eva, who mysteriously disappeared, pretending to be a man to finish her life's work would kind of make sense in a way that's very stupid. Either way poo poo's gone stupid.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I enjoyed the premise of this show at the outset, but at this point I'm pretty :nallears: about what's going on.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i got by on vibes for a while but the drop in animation quality as well as just kind of exposition dumping and running through halls in this ep has me mostly in sunken cost fallacy mode at this point

my interest in metallic rouge has been steadily dropping since about the end of ep 6

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't wait for Noir and Grauphon's battle next week to be two punches followed by a five minute long flashback about Noir's romantic affair with Eva. Really, does this twist change anything at all or even feel shocking to audiences? Eva, Gene and Noir are all barely characters to begin with and the show has pulled enough stuff out of its rear end already that one more twist (delivered in a stilted monotone with zero visual flair at the end of an episode) barely even registers.

In the Winter Season thread people have mentioned that the show seems aware of its own nonsense and that's why it keeps piling it on. That's probably true but this episode and last week felt like they adding further bullshit without any energy or enthusiasm behind it. In feels like a sunk cost fallacy obligation as much for the showmakers as it does for the audience at this point.

If the show doesn't care how it presents itself how can it expect the audience to care either?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 21, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stuff was at least happening in the action episodes so things didn't feel boring despite most of the stuff not being good but this weeks episode was just boring as well as not making a lot of sense. I don't have faith we'll get a finale that at least is fun to watch though it's still better than Captain Earth which is something!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also has the dub been up for anyone else? It usually goes up the same day as the subtitled version but I'm not seeing it for Ep 11.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
At this point the newer twists have been "oh ok" instead of anything neat to see for me. Also I really dislike Cyan's character archetype so that becoming a thing started tanking my opinion overall. In it until the end since it's only two more episodes and I want to see how it concludes though it feels like it'll be some kind of "everything works out fine" asspull.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i've just stopped watching entirely and am content with hearing about the ending secondhand. last episode is where it ticked over into too-messy-to-bother territory

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Mister Olympus posted:

i've just stopped watching entirely and am content with hearing about the ending secondhand. last episode is where it ticked over into too-messy-to-bother territory

i suspect that this is wisdom

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

In the Winter Season thread people have mentioned that the show seems aware of its own nonsense and that's why it keeps piling it on. That's probably true but this episode and last week felt like they adding further bullshit without any energy or enthusiasm behind it. In feels like a sunk cost fallacy obligation as much for the showmakers as it does for the audience at this point.

If the show doesn't care how it presents itself how can it expect the audience to care either?

The show has a sense of humor but this idea it doesn't give a gently caress has always been cap. It doesn't want us to take it all that seriously, I think, but it takes itself pretty seriously. The breathless exposition and worldbuilding, the melodrama, all the time in hallways, even the gothy clown people, all this too is just part of the BONES way. A lil personality goes a long way w this stuff, it's doing some things well and others not so much. Simple as

The family stuff is something to dig into, at least, all these weird robot bitches w their confusing lines, their little dramas and reminiscences. I like Cyan ok.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 21, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bones does like clowns, don't they? The Wolf's Rain Nobles, a good two thirds of Soul Eater, Puppet Master here. Probably some carryover from Sunrise staff when they did Mad Pierrot

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

how quick we forget the skyscraper skateboard ninja clown assassin action extravaganza of B: The Beginning

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those are a lot of words strung together resembling a sentence so I'll believe you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shocker it was Roy Junghardt all along.

Impressive how dull they've managed to make this finale so far. Though, I did like Naomi choosing friendship over logic and metaphorically giving Rouge her heart by lending her her id to keep on fighting.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I can see where the animation's been slipping a bit in the slower parts so the fight scenes are still somewhat good looking.

Still a bit too much going on like what the mask on Cyan is all about but the bit with Naomi choosing friendship and giving her id to Rouge was nice

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So Neans are machines made in a factory, this is how more neans are made and has been established by the series.

How'd that one manage to make a kid?

Arc Hammer posted:

Shocker it was Roy Junghardt all along.

Impressive how dull they've managed to make this finale so far. Though, I did like Naomi choosing friendship over logic and metaphorically giving Rouge her heart by lending her her id to keep on fighting.

It'd probably matter more if it made any sense what the ids were or what they did tbh. Apparently you can have your id removed and be fine if you put it back in quickly enough. But then why did those others die right away? Why don't they just put the ids back in their bodies?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey remember when Neans would start convulsing and die horribly if they didn't receive any nectar on a daily basis?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

They juiced up off screen, don't worry about it

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I been having a blast watching the episodes so far. But yeah I can see the structural issues like the loss of the bladerunner tone, animation issues and the multiple plot twists on plot twists. Also another medium loving up the robots liberation stuff by having it be a literal psyop. For Once can we have a Mega Man X style plot where you actually are the liberation good guys?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

I been having a blast watching the episodes so far. But yeah I can see the structural issues like the loss of the bladerunner tone, animation issues and the multiple plot twists on plot twists. Also another medium loving up the robots liberation stuff by having it be a literal psyop. For Once can we have a Mega Man X style plot where you actually are the liberation good guys?

No, you can't have it for once.

But you can do it for Zero.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

No, you can't have it for once.

But you can do it for Zero.

Now I remember that game. Also, I had a lot of fun playing ZX Advent and was sad that the sequel bait ending never got to be a full game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nuebot posted:

So Neans are machines made in a factory, this is how more neans are made and has been established by the series.

How'd that one manage to make a kid?

I don't expect any answers to this or if it makes Gene different from a normal human. This is the weirdest plot point so far tbh,, I don't think it added anything beyond questions that won't be answered.

quote:

It'd probably matter more if it made any sense what the ids were or what they did tbh. Apparently you can have your id removed and be fine if you put it back in quickly enough. But then why did those others die right away? Why don't they just put the ids back in their bodies?

I don't think this is inconsistent though. You need to remove the ID plus deal some degree of internal damage for death. Silvia specifically didn't do this, she removed Eden and Rouge's IDs while intending to let them live. Her weapon seems specifically designed for it too, unlike Rouge who forcefully pulls IDs out, Silvia's spear is made to grab them. Still, not having your ID seems to be a death sentence either way, it's just a slower death, the wounded still grows weaker and loses their memories until they're gone if they can't get their ID back soon enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not sure if "it was me all along, Austin muahahahahah" or "thanks for uploading the mindkiller virus lol jk we fixed that" was the dumber part of this finale.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow Gene, real dick move not to mention that in advance!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A pretty apt summation of the way Metallic Rouge approaches all things.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The writing did this show no favors. Overall, the show is not terrible but it's not good either.

What was the "orb" at the end that freed the Neans? Did Rogue use her old id? In the scene where Rogue places the "orb" in the machine, it isn't in her hand until it is so it's unclear where it came from or what it is. I assume it's her old id since there was a point about needing to sacrifice herself in order to free the Neans.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

At least I enjoyed the music.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rouge's id contains Code Eve. Since she fused with Naomi for the end she didn't need her old id anymore and plugged it into the machine.

duz posted:

At least I enjoyed the music.

I liked the one insert song from the first episode that they used intermittently.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What a bad finale.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On paper everything the finale tried to do sounded good it's just the show did no work for it so all fell flat. See Cyan who the show wanted us to feel for her sacrifice and instead i just rolled my eyes cause it did no work. Didn't even get to see her fight off the control of her father

Turns out a good plot needs work and just shouldn't sound cool. A mess of a show that only avoids being Captain Earth bad by being short

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I feel like the finale mostly pulled off whatever the hell they were going for. Just what they were going for was pretty aggressively mediocre. The tropey resolutions and twists fit right in with that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What an ending, what a disappointment. Wasn't Rouge against Code Eve last episode? I know at some point she was fighting to stop it so why did she just decide to go ahead and do it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Just caught the ending and it was all very BONES Anime to the last but hahaha uhhh, call me crazy but that kinda turned it around for me.

These crazy bitches just BRAVERNed. who can be mad at that

Feels like so many anime end on the vague hope things will be better, someday, or the future generations will yadda yadda, here they just hit the revolution switch and say firmly, "We'll change it. Together." Love that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's still as noncommittal as any of those other vague "things will change in the future" endings, only this one has the extra annoyance of presenting something actually cool in the credits scene and then the show ends. Let's do the revolution, in another show, that doesn't exist.

I'd like to watch Rouge fight clown girl and her robot armies but that would be interesting.

Lots of things in this show are interesting in theory but the direction is dire.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 4, 2024

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

It's still as noncommittal as any of those other vague "things will change in the future" endings, only this one has the extra annoyance of presenting something actually cool in the credits scene and then the show ends. Let's do the revolution, in another show, that doesn't exist.

I'd like tonwatch Rouge fight clown girl and her robot armies but that might actually be interesting.

I see it as more open and legitimately hopeful than that, control has been relinquished. That, and that it's a credit to the show that by the end, I don't really need to see how some fight plays out. They'll win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pootybutt posted:

I don't really need to see how some fight plays out. They'll win.

Well I'd like to see it play out. Aside from the first two episodes the fight scenes have all been kinda rear end.