Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1744811501079171540?t=kfmfmn4AtNs4PVhakeeb3w&s=19

Getting the simuldub and Sapphire is playing Naomi.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Definite Blade Runner vibes. I'm intrigued. I'll check out the dub later but so far this is good.

Viola speedrunning the Roy Batty lifecycle and arguing that Neans are just as human as humans only to get wiped was a good way to get that particular Android/Human dichotomy out of the way quickly.

EDIT: Okay, rewatched with the dub and it's also quite good. The guy voicing Hell Giallon is going wild with ham and I want to see more of him. The dub voice for Sarah/Viola was the weakest, IMO and a couple of line reads felt like they were off, but nothing actively bad.

The character preview images called him Jaron Fate so maybe that's his other name when he's not going robot mode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 11, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The insert song does sound like some Imagine Dragons track but it also rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jokerbot was the best part.

When Rouge was looking through Naomi's recording glasses and freaked out when she saw Metal Rouge confronting Sara, I was at first thinking it was a quirk of her maybe having memory issues since Naomi had made a comment about Rouge malfunctioning a scene before when she kept repeating herself. After my second watch it's clear that she's surprised at seeing herself there rather than her having a memory malfunction, which gets the payoff when Giallon reveals his mimic ability.

I'm betting Giallon was nearby when Metal Rouge killed the other two Neans so that he could mimic her mech form perfectly, since all the other footage of that attack was blurry and pixelated by the news broadcasters own admission.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 11, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This really does feel like an early to mid-2000s Bones production that happened to release in 2024. The one Nean in this episode was literally just Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist and it seems it's going for the same episodic pace as a lot of other Bones original series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do hope they elaborate a bit more on the Asimov Code stuff because I'd rather not have just just another Three Laws story, especially so soon after Pluto did a compelling take on just that.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 18, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1749869612815056943?t=r5McZXev_SXplZoYpNUJnQ&s=19

Okay then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it seems that Naomi's relationship with Rouge is more than a little one-sided with how she treated Rouge this episode, though she at least has a bit of self reflection compared to the reservation guards who would straight up kill a Nean child for sport if the doctor didn't stop them with a nectar bribe.

Mostly a setup episode. Giallon has a Nean named Duma inside the reservation who looks like he's screwing over the CFN Neans for the sake of the violent Nean group called Altar.

That ending was abrupt as hell and I don't think it was my stream acting up. Flying carnival airship for two seconds and then bang right into the ED credits. Giallon better show up next week in full clown mode.

A bit of a step down from the first two episodes with more time dedicated to introducing concepts and themes than to telling this week's adventure. Looks to be the start of a two or multi-parter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm thinking Verde might not be the doctor but the one mechanic dude who explained what a Cylinder Head was in the last episode. He was at the transport stop, then showed up in the forest (ahead of the truck, somewhow) and then Naomi asked who the hell he is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like having Giallon in the show because he's literally just here for shits and giggles while everything else remains cryptic or inferred. It's a nice contrast to have a guy who is just there to blow poo poo up and stir the pot.

If Neans can't kill Neans due to the Asimov Code then what exactly were they planning to do when Dumas/Giallon sicced the crowd on Rouge?

Some of these scene transition edits are Scorsese-esque in their lack of flourish. Just hyper abrupt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that was certainly a more interesting episode. I think the entire budget went into animating doll-girl's limbs and hair attacks.

So the Puppet Master and Doll-Girl I don't think are Neans and definitely aren't the Immortal Nine, and they have ties to the Usurpers aliens given their massive arsenal of Cylinder Head war machines.

The dreams sequences are unreliable at best and it's unclear if it's the truth, Rouge's memories of events or something the Puppet Master concocted to extract information from Rouge. As it is presented: Roy Junghardt was killed by the Immortal Nine because of something called Code Eve that would upend the balance between humans and Neans: free will. Gene tasks Rouge with killing the Nine for revenge. The Immortal Nine predate modern day Neans like they're the Final Five Cylons from the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series. Lots of chrysalis imagery with caterpillars, butterflies and metamorphosis. Nean gestation looks kinda like the Plants from Trigun.

I'm kinda inferring from the show's clear Blade Runner vibes that Rouge is sort of analogous to Rachel in a way, where she's a Nean/Replicant given physical features/personalities based off of a real human. Maybe she was a replacement Nean for Gene's human sister, like how the child Nean in the last two episodes was built as a replacement son for grieving families.

Fun exploration of the idea of freedom being handed down by a weirdo calling themselves the Puppet Master and believing in preordained fates. Eden seems to share the same desire for free will since he acts on his own accord rather than being a mopy sack like Afdal or feeling trapped in her circumstances like Sara.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Felt this episode was kind of a mess, to be honest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aes. Aesexual.

This show is half over.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 22, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Giallon is about the only character on the show I'm consistently entertained by. When everyone else is talking in cryptic metaphors or dropping a bunch of names and locations he's just there to kill people and blow poo poo up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hi Rouge I'm your sister BluegeCyan fight me wait you don't want to fight fine then bye.

Hmm "we have to prevent the Immortal Nine from completing Code Eve and granting Neans freedom from the Asimov Code because if they're free then they'll want more and use violence to get it, which will upset the status quo where we can kill Neans without consequence."

"But doesn't that make us the bad guys?"

Afdal: "Hey, you're both right, it's all a matter of perspective depending on where you stand."

Altar declares war on humanity anyways.

I swear to god.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 29, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Time for some endgame twists. So Noir is Gene's actual father making him a half-nean since Noir was banging Eva rather than Roy Junghart. PuppetMaster takes off his mask but we don't see his face, so he's either a Usurper or he's Roy working for the Usurpers as revenge for the Neans killing him/failing to kill him

Pretty minimal budget on this one. Some scenes looked like they dipped into animating on 3s or even 4s by the end. Two episodes left and it feels like the show is lurching forward rather than shifting into high gear for a finale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't wait for Noir and Grauphon's battle next week to be two punches followed by a five minute long flashback about Noir's romantic affair with Eva. Really, does this twist change anything at all or even feel shocking to audiences? Eva, Gene and Noir are all barely characters to begin with and the show has pulled enough stuff out of its rear end already that one more twist (delivered in a stilted monotone with zero visual flair at the end of an episode) barely even registers.

In the Winter Season thread people have mentioned that the show seems aware of its own nonsense and that's why it keeps piling it on. That's probably true but this episode and last week felt like they adding further bullshit without any energy or enthusiasm behind it. In feels like a sunk cost fallacy obligation as much for the showmakers as it does for the audience at this point.

If the show doesn't care how it presents itself how can it expect the audience to care either?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also has the dub been up for anyone else? It usually goes up the same day as the subtitled version but I'm not seeing it for Ep 11.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bones does like clowns, don't they? The Wolf's Rain Nobles, a good two thirds of Soul Eater, Puppet Master here. Probably some carryover from Sunrise staff when they did Mad Pierrot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those are a lot of words strung together resembling a sentence so I'll believe you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shocker it was Roy Junghardt all along.

Impressive how dull they've managed to make this finale so far. Though, I did like Naomi choosing friendship over logic and metaphorically giving Rouge her heart by lending her her id to keep on fighting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey remember when Neans would start convulsing and die horribly if they didn't receive any nectar on a daily basis?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not sure if "it was me all along, Austin muahahahahah" or "thanks for uploading the mindkiller virus lol jk we fixed that" was the dumber part of this finale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A pretty apt summation of the way Metallic Rouge approaches all things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rouge's id contains Code Eve. Since she fused with Naomi for the end she didn't need her old id anymore and plugged it into the machine.

duz posted:

At least I enjoyed the music.

I liked the one insert song from the first episode that they used intermittently.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's still as noncommittal as any of those other vague "things will change in the future" endings, only this one has the extra annoyance of presenting something actually cool in the credits scene and then the show ends. Let's do the revolution, in another show, that doesn't exist.

I'd like to watch Rouge fight clown girl and her robot armies but that would be interesting.

Lots of things in this show are interesting in theory but the direction is dire.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pootybutt posted:

I don't really need to see how some fight plays out. They'll win.

Well I'd like to see it play out. Aside from the first two episodes the fight scenes have all been kinda rear end.