Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i liked this episode more than the first one (minus the aesthetic downgrade from hazy neon cyberpunk to boring desert). it has a lot of fun toying around with misleading first impressions and expectations, but we still get to see who rouge and naomi are as people. namely, how they view their relationship, how they relate to others, and (mostly rouge here) how they perceive themselves. pretty clear that identity is going to be an important through line for the show at this point, at least when they're not fighting aliens and getting tricked by vash the stampede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

King of Solomon posted:

I'm always happy when a show recognizes how cool a powerful granny is

the grandma is badass but the little girl ignoring the killer alien robot warnings to get a cool picture is my favorite side character moment this week

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

On what the gently caress Naomi:

So Naomi's little rant is weird, I think. On multiple levels. Because where the gently caress did all this anti-Nean racism come from, Naomi? Were you just hiding that under your hat up 'til now? And also... managing Rouge is Naomi's job, right? That seems to be her role on this mission, or at least a large part of it. She wants to emphasise the intel-gathering part, but what we've actually seen her do is direct Rouge and liaise with management. Even when she got Rouge to sandbag so she could analyse Viola... did that actually contribute anything to that fight?

But Naomi sucks at managing Rouge! She pushes all her buttons in this scene, pushes them hard, and is... surprised? When Rouge stalks off. That's a pretty major gently caress up, the first time she has even minor difficulty getting Rouge to do what she wants. Is she just incompetent? Has she not been properly briefed? I guess this sort of direct face-to-face interaction wasn't plan A- it's something she fell back on after her bird drone was destroyed. Even so, I feel like she should be better at this.

i think the contrast between public facing naomi (mentor/teacher/straight up parental figure to rouge and the other kids we've seen), and naomi in private (constantly gorging on feasts by herself, trolling rouge to the point that her job is in jeopardy) is pretty fascinating. i don't think she's going to be some irredeemably awful person -- heck i think she's cool -- i just find it interesting that she is often more selfish and self destructive than the other main character who, like you mentioned, is effectively a child.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'm very happy that metallic rouge manages to find time to be Funny, since i'm sure we're in store for some dark moments

https://i.imgur.com/cwvsRq0.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that was certainly a more interesting episode. I think the entire budget went into animating doll-girl's limbs and hair attacks.

the hand to hand stuff in this show always has so much impact, i love it

https://i.imgur.com/mIXmDWQ.mp4