Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
It's strange, but I can't think of another game where I enjoy losing as much as I do in this one. (As long as it's not due to my brain randomly vapor-locking, that is. Hey everyone! Did you know that Brad Pitt was in Burn After Reading? I sure don't!) Getting trapped/surprised/utterly destroyed by someone in a genre that I feel strong in just has a weirdly pleasurable buzz, especially when I'm able to store that info away for future chains*. Hook it directly to my veins, is what I'm saying.

*Speaking of which, I now know that the lead actress in Prey is also in Hell or High Water. Do with this knowledge what you will.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

filmcynic posted:

It's strange, but I can't think of another game where I enjoy losing as much as I do in this one. (As long as it's not due to my brain randomly vapor-locking, that is. Hey everyone! Did you know that Brad Pitt was in Burn After Reading? I sure don't!) Getting trapped/surprised/utterly destroyed by someone in a genre that I feel strong in just has a weirdly pleasurable buzz, especially when I'm able to store that info away for future chains*. Hook it directly to my veins, is what I'm saying.

*Speaking of which, I now know that the lead actress in Prey is also in Hell or High Water. Do with this knowledge what you will.

She's the bank teller at the bank thats robbed when Chris Pine is talking to the waitress, iirc.

What's most frustrating for me is forgetting titles. I had some give me Taken, I offensive skipped, they did Taken 2 and I used the Grey even though I figured it was easy to get out of. I was racking my brain for both Boss Level and Warrior if they played purge 2 or 3 for Frank grillo, but nope, couldn't think of either.
In hindsight, the better play with Grillo is to go into the Wu Jing cinematic universe via wolf warrior 2 (and can link there from marvel with grillo's crossbones char), then link to Tony Jaa and triple threat and I'm in action heaven.

Edit: i have had multiple people play Rain Man when I play a Tom Cruise movie, and I play Little Big Man just to see where they go and ...they can't do it. It shows Dustin Hoffman used once. They hit cast. They hit skip. I play All the President's Men, or Tootsie, or ANYTHING and just .. nothing. Well, actually, they do rapid fire avengers endgame, movie 43, godfather.
What the hell are they teaching the kids these days.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 16, 2024

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m the idiot who

Forgot what David fincher and Danny Boyle directed in back to back games

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Today is a good day to promulgate the greatness of The Beach Bum, featuring Zac Efron's best performance.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Lol someone got to the Home Alone sequels and the only connection between 2 and 3 is John Hughes, they hit another John Hughes movie but I responded with Pretty in Pink. They passed me back, Two-Lane Blacktop again. The funny part is you can get out by jusr saying The Avengers, but people only use Endgame.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Just finished off a 182-round monstrosity, against someone who I suspect may actually be Leonard Maltin. (They finally got me with a Russell Crowe movie, which is probably a sign that I should step away for a bit. Nah.) The gaps in the database really do start to hurt once you get into rapid-fire marathon mode. Anybody have any suggestions/hopes for future updates?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fun tip: You can link directly from The Wrestler to The Onion Movie, which happens to feature Steven Seagal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I submitted a suggestion that if you still have your +15s Lifeline to automatically use it if you would timeout; I've lost more than one game typing with that lifeline still in place

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

That's a good idea. That's happened to me a bunch too.

I'm still aggravated about the limited database though. Reeling from a game where I wandered into Oshima land off of Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence and besides Death by Hanging every loving film I went to pull up wasn't there.

edit: Ahahahahaha. Just had a guy try to trap me with a Doctor Who movie and he had blocked Peter Capaldi. What he didn't anticipate is that when I looked up the cast it happened to be directed by Rachel Talalay, renown director of such classics as Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare and Ghost in the Machine (1993).

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 16, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/xJZz4YX

FOH, a rematch? You're not worthy! They pulled up the cast list and didn't know anyone in the movie OR George Romero.

TrixRabbi posted:

edit: Ahahahahaha. Just had a guy try to trap me with a Doctor Who movie and he had blocked Peter Capaldi. What he didn't anticipate is that when I looked up the cast it happened to be directed by Rachel Talalay, renown director of such classics as Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare and Ghost in the Machine (1993).

Jesus, that's an amazing pull.

e: lmao, someone got out of my Two-Lane Blacktop with Harry Dean Stanton Ban (everyone passes this), into The Brink's Job combo, by looking up the cast list for The Brink's Job. Peter Boyle is in it, the only other recognizable name to most people is Paul Sorvino. Anyway, they of course Young Frankenstein so I Adventures of Pluto Nash, they say Shrek. Now, I didn't anticipate them going to Shrek necessarily, but I have a plan for Mike Myers. Austin Powers 1997, they Austin Powers: Goldmember me. I hit 'em with Evilspeak and they apparently don't know that Clint's in like every Ron Howard movie but that's okay with me.

AAAAAAAAH, I JUST SWERVED SOMEONE SO HARD! They clearly wanted to be in Anna Faris movies so I just sidestepped. I have to take a break from this for the rest of the day, I get too amped. I can't afford another 5 hours of sleep lmao.

https://imgur.com/a/e6Y4vDe
https://imgur.com/a/WDBvLWJ
https://imgur.com/a/018laLg

The best part of this is, and I had to look this up after but... they had the +15 seconds left and they spent it spamming all the huge cast movies but missed Wakanda Forever, and Richard Schiff is in The Arrival and Wakanda Forever.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yo wtf. Had a game end in a draw because we wound up on Night of the Living Dead, my opponent knew his poo poo and played Ganja and Hess. And then just...there weren't any other loving Duane Jones or major Bill Gunn movies in the database. Including Losing Ground! Stop and Personal Problems also not there.

Didn't try Beat Street, forgot about that one. And I forgot Bill Gunn was in The Sound and the Fury from the 50s. But still man, wtf. Get your poo poo together Cinenerdle.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

oh my god, the strategies... I had to look up Paul Bettany movies that don't include anyone from the Marvel poo poo, because that's how people get out of my Firewall on Harrison Ford 3 thing. After that, they get to Paul Bettany 3 and I can usually Jennifer Connelly out. Start with Phenomena, this generally only comes at the point where they're out of skip/cast list, they have to pick another Connelly movie, hit 'em with Career Opportunities, they passed it back.Obviously I have a plan for the out here. Monster Trucks, they pass me back some other Frank Whaley movie instead of picking one of the other more known people in the film, I assume because they google "Frank Whaley" instead of "Monster Trucks" like an rear end in a top hat, then I hit 'em with As Good As Dead.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

One film I desperately want them to add to the database is the blaxploitation basketball comedy The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh. In addition to Jonathan Winters, Harry Shearer, Stockard Channing, M. Emmett Walsh and Margaret Avery, it's also got a ton of 70s NBA players including the star, Julius "Dr. J" Erving, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Cedric Maxwell, Bob Lanier, Spencer Haywood and a whole bunch of other old players who may or may not have niche filmography connections I haven't fully explored.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

One film I desperately want them to add to the database is the blaxploitation basketball comedy The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh. In addition to Jonathan Winters, Harry Shearer, Stockard Channing, M. Emmett Walsh and Margaret Avery, it's also got a ton of 70s NBA players including the star, Julius "Dr. J" Erving, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Cedric Maxwell, Bob Lanier, Spencer Haywood and a whole bunch of other old players who may or may not have niche filmography connections I haven't fully explored.

I want them to add Penn & Teller Get Killed and Mitchell because both times I tried to use those they weren't in there. More M. Emmett Walsh movies would be good, too. I noticed there's definitely a meta from ... I assume the youtuber in the OP where people have certain exploitable habits. Some idiot tried Kids on me after I said Zodiac when they first picked some random Mark Ruffalo movie, I just swerved to another Chloe Sevigny movie and... they passed? Wtf? Just pick another Harmony Korine movie, you bozo, you don't know what you're doing. I obviously just Harmony Korine'd them right back.

And also, thanks to this thread for The Beach Bum because I forgot about it and it sets me up for a McConaughey 3 on, well, it's listed under The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre on here.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 17, 2024

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah I think they're probably using some kind of popularity threshold on TMDB, which is fair to some degree, but I was so excited to throw out The Kidnapping of the President for Hal Holbrook and I will never get that chance again.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I understand not wanting totally random garbage on every search, but feels punishing to the people with deep or niche film knowledge when the whole idea of the game is to draw something obscure and stump your opponent.

Also, re: Kids. Someone played that on me but didn't seem to be aware of Larry Clark. Hit em with Bully, they skipped, then died on Ken Park.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

filmcynic posted:

Just finished off a 182-round monstrosity, against someone who I suspect may actually be Leonard Maltin. (They finally got me with a Russell Crowe movie, which is probably a sign that I should step away for a bit. Nah.) The gaps in the database really do start to hurt once you get into rapid-fire marathon mode. Anybody have any suggestions/hopes for future updates?

Holy cow

The movie I couldn't believe wasn't in the database was White - opponent had maxed out Hawke with a before sunrise movie, I couldn't think of a non Hawke linklater, and was like well heck I can do a bunch of Kiewslowsk via delpyi. But nope!

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 17, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

My favorite move is having Frances McDormand, Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi on the block list and then someone gives me a Coen Brothers movie, I pass it back to them and the film bros can't resist thinking I'm an idiot who doesn't know Coen Brothers movies, and then I hit 'em with Crimewave.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The title is "Three Colors: White" and it'll show up if you start with Three Colors. Three Colors: Blue is my go-to for Juliette Binoche.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TrixRabbi posted:

The title is "Three Colors: White" and it'll show up if you start with Three Colors. Three Colors: Blue is my go-to for Juliette Binoche.

Argh. I was doing unbearable lightness of being from High Life yesterday and zero people know DDL is it for some reason

WarEternal posted:

My favorite move is having Frances McDormand, Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi on the block list and then someone gives me a Coen Brothers movie, I pass it back to them and the film bros can't resist thinking I'm an idiot who doesn't know Coen Brothers movies, and then I hit 'em with Crimewave.

You're going to run into someone from here who sees Brion James and goes to Pyun movies via Nemesis instead of blade runner

I kind of wish casts were always displayed.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 17, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Some guy hit me with the Josh Hutcherson and Matthew Lilard block on Five Night's At Freddy's, so I had to pass. Similar to my Josh Hutcherson and Morgan Freeman block on 57 Seconds yesterday... They went with SLC Punk, though, so I went straight to Final Destination and they dunno Devon Sawa so they went to Candyman, whoops. Wishmaster. Candyman 2021, nice try buddy. Get Out. They pick Bird Box, some kind of move they must have learned yesterday? I pick Speed 2. They try The Matrix like a loving fool, pull up the cast list and see Willem Dafoe and go with Inside. Well, I learned all about this yesterday. I pick Loft (2008) which has some Belgian* (assumed he was Dutch cuz The Vanishing is) guy named Gene Bervoets, they have to pass it back to me and I pick Vanishing 1988. I'm super comfortable with Jeff Bridges, I just go to Winter Kills if they wanna Vanishing 1991 me. They didn't even do that, they simply lost. Didn't you learn anything yesterday, my dude? Alternate path someone showed me yesterday is that Inside connects to Color Out of Space via cinematographer. I gotta admit, if you're a cinematographer or composer pro you would mop up at this game because I'm too busy thinking of all the other poo poo to even start there.

trevorreznik posted:

Argh. I was doing unbearable lightness of being from High Life yesterday and zero people know DDL is it for some reason

You're going to run into someone from here who sees Brion James and goes to Pyun movies via Nemesis instead of blade runner

Gotta admit, that would definitely get me. Well, as long as Brion isn't in the movie they pick.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 17, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Having even some cursory knowledge about Spaghetti Westerns beyond Leone and Morricone can take you far in this game. Beware anyone who plays Django Unchained and isn't prepared to jump back to the original Django.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

I kind of wish casts were always displayed.

If you challenge someone directly you can increase the timer and allow tabbing. I played that way with my sister the other day and we got to over 150 movies. I feel like there should definitely be some sort of 'casual' mode, the focus on winning and the cheesy openings is kind of annoying. I feel like you have to jump through a couple hoops to get people to stop playing bullshit but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WarEternal posted:

If you challenge someone directly you can increase the timer and allow tabbing. I played that way with my sister the other day and we got to over 150 movies. I feel like there should definitely be some sort of 'casual' mode, the focus on winning and the cheesy openings is kind of annoying. I feel like you have to jump through a couple hoops to get people to stop playing bullshit but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I feel like the next evolution is gonna be like modern-day Wheel of Fortune where the final puzzle, they just give you R,S,T,L,N,E and design the puzzles around it. Like, they'll just do something about Inside (2023) or Buried (2010) or otherwise just clamp down on the deadend killshots and make it more about rallies and boxing out the opponent from obvious answers.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

filmcynic posted:

Yeah, this is what's so addicting about it to me. I had to search for a novel way out of people passing me back Career Opportunities (I set people up for them send Jennifer Connelly on a 2*) because all I knew Frank Whaley from was Pulp Fiction and that's way too easy, so I found Monster Trucks.

In doing that, I learned Rob Lowe is in Monster Trucks. Another thing that happens to me is setting up Cocktail on a Tom Cruise 3 so I can do the Karate Kid Bullshit of them passing the sequels back and forth to me until I put Next Karate Kid because Pat Morita is only at 2. However, someone passed me back The Outsiders because of Ralph Macchio, so I just hit them with Monster Trucks and they didn't know any Rob Lowe movies and had to look up the cast list. Now that I think of it, Tom Lennon is probably a safe bet to get from random comedies you don't know to random bullshit you do know because he's written or had a role in it. Someone tried to hit me with Dodgeball on a Justin Long 3 and I just went to Monkey Shines, my pet favorite Romero movie lmao. I just really enjoy learning all this trivia, if only I could use the enthusiasm for something productive.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Thing is you can usually volley if you want to and find someone of an equal level as you. Might take a bit to weed out folks but I think the longer you play the better you get at defeating the intended early kill shots and you can take the game wherever you want. Sometimes I'll play hard early just to find someone I can go head-to-head with, and there's been games where I've actually avoided playing my intended kill just to prolong it, or cause it felt cheap against someone who'd been doing so well.

I don't hate the meta, is what I'm saying, and the one-man films have already been cracked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A key thing is obviously that the starting movies change very day. That introduces a fresh challenge in terms of how you go about controlling the game and putting opponents in check-mate based on those day's starter movies.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

lol just got someone out through Donald Trump

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

lol just got someone out through Donald Trump

via Home Alone 2 -> Ghosts Don't Wear Pants ?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Thing is you can usually volley if you want to and find someone of an equal level as you. Might take a bit to weed out folks but I think the longer you play the better you get at defeating the intended early kill shots and you can take the game wherever you want. Sometimes I'll play hard early just to find someone I can go head-to-head with, and there's been games where I've actually avoided playing my intended kill just to prolong it, or cause it felt cheap against someone who'd been doing so well.

I don't hate the meta, is what I'm saying, and the one-man films have already been cracked.

Yeah, it's just hard to recommend to more casual but still very nerdy people cuz of all the meta poo poo. I don't wanna go thru your fuckin Noah Baumbach movies even if I know the way out. Or everyone being a smarty-smart pants and giving Jackie Brown as a Quentin Tarantino movie, so I pivot to Robert Forster in Uncle Sam. Getting out of Snakes on A Plane with Good Burger. Had someone pivot to Terry Crews after being locked out of Wayans brothers movies on White Chicks, I just ensnared them in the Stephen Yeun to Korea pipeline where I learned the trick is to just loving trap them in Park Chan Wook movies instead of Bong Joon Ho movies. I guess I just don't know how to break out more effectively.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

We’ve been playing this less than a week and already figured out the meta. And there’s no shortage of weaker players who I’m sure they’ll get matched up with.

If we were to do a tournament how should we determine starting movies? Maybe each round has a different movie that everyone uses that round (the finals: Movie 43). Or maybe it’s best 2 out of 3 games and game one player A chooses the movie, game two player B, and a third game gets a random choice. Lots of ways to dice this.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
You can use Richard Armitage in the Hobbit movies to go to Space Sweepers, which is that Korean space scifi movie that stars Kim Tae-Ri , who is in a ton of stuff like Alienoid and Handmaiden.

Ma dong-seok's gangster cop and devil also links to space sweepers.

The other movie I've been using to leave America is Bullet Train - brad pitt comes up a ton, so I either go with River Runs Through It if I think they are a zoomer who's never heard of Robert Redford , OR I go from Bullet Train to Japan via Hiroyuki Sanada. Who is also in John Wick 4 & Rush Hour 3 if you want to stay in the action world instead of going with Twilight Samurai or his 90s stuff I'm not as familiar with

Half the fun of this isn't even in playing, just going through IMDb and remembering small roles I've forgotten.

Edit what on earth, Sanada is in Avengers Endgame? Ok I guess I'm playing him every single time I see that, but I sure don't remember him in it.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 17, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I feel like the only thing that would be needed to make this fun to me is just completely randomize the starting movies and then change it to if you hit a ban it gives you a cast list.

E: also the people with over 100 wins are definitely bots right? Cuz I played all day except to go to work and I had like 30 games total lol.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 17, 2024

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I definitely think I've come up against a bot or two where they instantly replied to every movie with a killshot. Like, not just knowing it but typing so fast the clock doesnt hit 19. I have no idea why you would bot this game as there's literally no rewards and you don't even get the joy of play because your bot does all the work.

maybe they just have a printout of the IMDB top 50 stars and their rarest movies? :shrug:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Got crushed by someone who blocked Scarjo and went to Under the Skin , ouch. I couldn't think of sexy beast or some of interest but if glazer was blocked too I had no chance.

Then I got to go second and someone FINALLY used Baywatch for Efron. I moved straight to India, they googled a bunch but didn't move off SRK, and then just gave up when I immediately hit them with Pathaan. We hadn't even gotten to any of Salman Khans stuff! I was ready!

Edit: amusingly my opponent this time was communicating using movies like "why? Why him" when I used a Tyler perry one, and "wtf. Lol" when I played 39 steps. Ended up losing after I took us to capra land and couldn't think of any movies he did without Jimmy Stewart

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 17, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Lmao I did a battle against my wife and we got to what's eating gilbert grape

She promptly dropped free will 2 on me because she went to high school with Mary Kate shellheart who was in both.

I had no idea, saw cinematographer was laslo Kovacs and went uh...easy rider???

Edit round 2 was her asking me to play point break off of matrix, I complied, she used to wong foo thanks for everything Julie Newmar, and I chaos dunked seven brides for seven brothers since I'd just seen it with my sister and had Julie Newmar pointed out to me as the second bride

editx3: Someone absolutely obliterated me - I had barely escaped their Phil Hartman/Sinbad trap of them using Coneheads w/ the final Akroyd play, me Jingle all the Way, them using Houseguests, and me desperately using Pee Wee's Big Adventure since I knew Hartman had written that. And then I got dunked on with Freeway, Forbidden Zone, and Maniac, 3 movies I've never even heard of.

Editx4: my wife's strategy of musicals (frozen 2 straight from wrestler) and romcoms is killing people

This is so drat fun!

Editx5
New movies
Got smashed into oblivion by a guy who went serpico>scarecrow>Hanover Street>Sabrina , as I couldn't think of anyone but Pacino/Ford to break that chain, ugh. I really need to use my cast help earlier so I don't get railroaded like that. It's annoying that as far as strategy goes, there's no difference between playing the most obscure movie for the second go at a person vs the most famous one, it's all about the first/third.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 17, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Maniac tip, if it's the 80s one and you know horror just get out via Tom Savini. If they're a goober like me they're trying to Sam Raimi ban you off of Maniac Cop when you pass it back to them. Or you could research a couple Joe Spinell movies, assuming they have a plan for that one you need a 3rd movie of his. Eureka 1983 was fun today because it's A: Mickey Rourke, B: Nicolas Roeg and C: Gene Hackman.

I agree, the strategy is very tough with no cast list if you know nothing about the movie other than the displayed link. They're always aiming to trap you with something if you pass them back a 2*.

I kins of think a fundamental change to the game should be giving you at least one random credit in a movie if someone 3*s you. If not more, maybe a guaranteed one like Director or something.

E: and yeah, if your wife really knows romcoms or musicals you will absolutely gently caress up 90% of people on here since it's very film bro centric.

Lmfao, I just swerved someone with one of my favorite things I learned doing this. We got to Wayans Brothers movies and I had to pass. They went to Bad Santa via Bernie Mack and... I went Return of The Jedi because Tony Cox was an Ewok. They go into George Lucas and I hit them with THX, they reflexively go American Graffiti as film bros do and I hit them with Grand Theft Auto which they see Ron Howard, anyone who knows anything knows that Clint is in most of his movies so I hit Evilspeak, they pass me back and i hit Ice Cream Man for the win.

I could have got them in Leprechaun hell but I had already used my pass and didn't wanna get caught out by an unknown to me Warwick Davis movie.

I'm definitely learning to have my fun with it, like just trying to get novel things to happen or to lead people a certain way. Like, I wanna hit someone on a 3rd Michael Douglas and have them pass me back Black Rain so I can go to Mr Baseball. And while looking into that... Stephen Root is in Black Rain and I had someone pass me back a Stephen Root after Monkey Shines so that's another route.

E: Another change I'd like to see is saving different bans for going first or second, like I never want to 2 star Julianne Moore without a ban in place because I don't know poo poo she's in but i'd gladly 3 star her on something and pivot from there.

E: Hey Zoomer, don't start out on Ocean's 8 then when I send back like for like don't give me Elliot Gould 2 without knowing any Altman. I almost timed out trying to find 3 Women because Three Women does not work lol.

Lmao, someone first picked some rom com I don't know but Cary Elwes was in it, so I went saw, they went saw 2, i went princess bride (people on here gently caress this up a ton and I pivot to Peter Falk, I should probably look up his Cassavetes films) ...they cast list, struggle, start typing in movies with Giant in the title SOMEHOW hit on a Billy Crystal movie called My Giant (looking into it after the fact, this is a weird loving movie, Stephen Seagal plays himself), but I just pivot to Throw Momma From The Train and they skip it so I just move to Danny Devito because people will 2 star him back to you and not know Matilda.

And a big general strategy tip I've only just internalized is that the goal of cast list lifeline is to find someone you know that they probably don't know.

Took me 8 games but I got to Black Rain, opponent pass into Mr Baseball lol. Ridley scott to sigourney weaver to ghostbusters, i thought 2016 ghost busters had paul rudd but it doesn't, got a lucky connection on matt walsh to role models, they went to Ant-Man as a 3rd paul rudd movie and it was game over from there.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 17, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WarEternal posted:

E: also the people with over 100 wins are definitely bots right? Cuz I played all day except to go to work and I had like 30 games total lol.

I got to about 100 wins one of the first few days I was playing. Basically it required a day where I had literally nothing to do all day, not even work, so I played for like 13 or 14 hours. But not only that, it was also a day where I had really good early turn strategies that were very reliable in getting me easy wins. So a big chunk of those 100 wins were games that only lasted 5ish turns.

Now that I'm back to regular life and the competition has gotten better, I don't see myself ever getting that many wins again.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Ok, really proud of this, sorry if the screenshot poo poo is annoying.

https://imgur.com/a/psUma34

I went with Dragged Across Concrete here because for some reason they put Brawl In Cell Block 99 after Marley & Me. I thought they wanted to Zahler. I guess the Vince Vaughan + Owen Wilson thing got mixed up in their head?

https://imgur.com/a/5pofErr

They looked up the cast list on Monkey Shines, but I have Stanley Tucci blocked. I've anticipated that because people have strategies for him right now, but not once they're past the opening, lol.

https://imgur.com/a/iCPcOfK

It's funny how easily you can kinda swing around to certain outs you know.

e: lmao, someone finally fell for my going first on House of Gucci Scholar's Mate. Me: The Duellists, Them: Alien, WRONG MOVE. Two-Lane Blacktop, I have Harry Dean Stanton banned in case they know who that is, they pass it to me because they don't. The Brink's Job. They look up the cast list, here's where I also have Peter Boyle banned in case they know who that is, the only generally recognizable ways out are Friedkin or Paul Sorvino and I've got plans after that... They don't know who either person is. Loss.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
A TON of people have been beating me by dragging me into awful Al Pacino 70s movies I've never heard of, to where I've had to ban him along with my standard Jack Black/Adam Sandler bans.

I did just have a draw where we ended up going to Peter Jackson, I did Meet the Feebles on 2 and was like ok, so long as you don't play Bad Taste we can keep going...nope, Bad Taste it was. There's no way I knew a way out of that and neither did the guy who played it. He fights himself

Banning stuff like Harry Dean Stanton just seems mean! I like doing defensive bans to keep out of areas I don't know well, rather than trying to pin someone in. Mainly because I can't comprehend how someone can go to Strictly Ballroom then later not know who Denise Richards is when I play Tammy and the T-Rex off of Starship Troopers. Are these people all following strategy guides and haven't seen these movies?