Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mizzou expected to hire Memphis' Laird Veatch to be their next Athletic Director after Desiree Reed-Francis went to Arizona 9 weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1782501323902013647

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All B1G throwback logos:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gonz posted:

All B1G throwback logos:

Washington's husky is just happy to be there

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

forkboy84 posted:

Alabama should hire Senator Tommy Tuberville. Because the idea of him bailing on being Senator for another job tickles me. And also him no longer having any influence in politics would be nice.

Remember when Tuberville was a beloved good-but-not-great coach at Auburn until that one rear end in a top hat booster got him fired?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gonz posted:

All B1G throwback logos:

That Washington logo is almost as good as the blazed Auburn tiger.

Almost.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I. M. Gei posted:

Remember when Tuberville was a beloved good-but-not-great coach at Auburn until that one rear end in a top hat booster got him fired?

He went 5-7 and lost to Vanderbilt. People were sick of his poo poo. They had already got caught trying to hire Petrino under his nose and were embarrassed into giving him an extension, or he'd have been gone sooner

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gonz posted:

All B1G throwback logos:

we used to be a country

a proper country

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol at oregon's just being straight-up donald duck

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i love the grumpy wolverine

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Minnesota should go back to using that logo.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

That Husky got away with something

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

All B1G throwback logos:

Northwestern's is fabulous

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Why are they using a Penn State logo from like 2000?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

whos that broooown posted:

that's already too old for penn state

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Radia posted:

that's already too old for penn state

:vince:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pakled posted:

lol at oregon's just being straight-up donald duck

That dates back to 1947, when then-Athletic Director Leo Harris reached a handshake deal with Walt Disney.

Disney’s lawyers bucked up a bit in the 1990s, but an agreement was reached, and the university can use the Donald image only for merch sold in the state of Oregon.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Big10 and sec really were throwing their weight around.

Also getting paid ~60% of cfp revenue?!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10118001-sec-big-ten-wouldve-left-cfp-if-new-contract-wasnt-reached-say-sankey-and-petitti

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

whos that broooown posted:

That's the only other logo.

Penn State didn't have an athletic logo until 1983. Stuff just said "PENN STATE" or had a blue block S. The current logo is also the first logo, so there's a nowhere to go except for that 2000s one no one liked.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BoardGeniuses/status/1782401278464712970

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

quote:

The Pac-12 Conference, which will drop down to two members this summer, will no longer be an “autonomous conference,” the NCAA Division I Board of Directors determined on Monday, effective Aug. 2. It will instead be classified as a “nonautonomous FBS conference” like the Group of 5.

The board created new governance thresholds for conferences that fall below membership requirements. As a result, the Pac-12 will lose representation on the Board of Directors. It will retain representation and voting rights on the Division I Council, the Football Oversight Committee and the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee when applicable, but the weight of its Council vote will be diminished.

sad

they do have a two year grace period to get back up to 8 members, in theory, but they're not going to get 6 members that move the needle

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

That's the only other logo.

Penn State didn't have an athletic logo until 1983. Stuff just said "PENN STATE" or had a blue block S. The current logo is also the first logo, so there's a nowhere to go except for that 2000s one no one liked.

they don't have the same excuse for using Rutgers lame late 90s logo when they actually do have throwbacks from the same era as the other teams

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-the-new-college-football-playoff-format-came-to-be-and-what-it-means-for-the-sports-future-165149801.html

Buried in this Dellenger article is a bit that says the Super League group pitched $100MM+ payouts for some schools. Hadn’t heard that before but that must be their plan to get the blue bloods to bail on the SEC and B1G.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alaois posted:

they don't have the same excuse for using Rutgers lame late 90s logo when they actually do have throwbacks from the same era as the other teams

That guy has a Muppet face. They should make a Muppet of him.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Looks like Dallan Hayden is heading to Colorado

https://x.com/Hayesfawcett3/status/1782514774351261965

Huh... I don't blame him for bouncing with Henderson coming back and Judkins joining, but uh... Colorado? Guess he can get some good NIL money and leave his options open for whenever Prime leaves.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

fast cars loose anus posted:

sad

they do have a two year grace period to get back up to 8 members, in theory, but they're not going to get 6 members that move the needle

Isn't the plan pretty clearly wait until the MWC rights agreement runs out so they can poach most but not all of the conference?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern's bad (presumed) starting QB is in the portal, hoping to get another (mediocre) quarterback in the portal

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Agreed, "DJ"s at college games are loving stupid and should go away.

(what is this guy talking about? what happened at the FSU game?)

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Spacebump posted:

Isn't the plan pretty clearly wait until the MWC rights agreement runs out so they can poach most but not all of the conference?

I could've sworn the deal they signed with the MWC there is an explicit penalty if they do this. But I can't find mention of it, so I must've made that up.

I think the more likely thing to happen is that the MWC and P12 merge and use P12 branding and what not. Even now I think it's a strong brand than the wmc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

drunk leprechaun posted:

I could've sworn the deal they signed with the MWC there is an explicit penalty if they do this. But I can't find mention of it, so I must've made that up.

I think the more likely thing to happen is that the MWC and P12 merge and use P12 branding and what not. Even now I think it's a strong brand than the wmc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual reformed PAC drops a few MWC schools and tries to get a few AAC schools to join.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/ChrisKarpman/status/1782917351366856732

I can't believe the thing that everyone said was going to be a complete disaster ended up being a complete disaster.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Five years ain’t nothing but it’s not unheard of. “One of the longest” is disingenuous. Plenty of coaches have had 5 years.

Pruitt got six
Tressel got five

Donnie Tyndall got ten
Clem Haskins got seven
Dave Bliss got ten
Todd Bozeman got eight

Then there’s the Bama baseball coach that got 15

e: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show-cause_penalty

There’s a whole list in here

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Then there’s the Bama baseball coach that got 15

I’m still shocked they lost him and got better.

The Coach Fitz Syndrome.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dave Bliss getting 10 instead of "being in jail"

e: totally forgot John Blake died.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 24, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

drunk leprechaun posted:

From the Athletic
https://theathletic.com/5437109/2024/04/22/pac-12-nonautonomous-conference?source=user-shared-article

quote:

After that, the future is uncertain. The Pac-12 and Mountain West signed an agreement in the fall to work in good faith to merge by the 2025-26 or 2026-27 seasons, with no cost if the Pac-12 absorbs every MWC school, or a cost of upwards of $137.5 million if it takes some but not all MWC schools. But Oregon State and Washington State are focused first on joining an autonomous conference, and the uncertainty surrounding the future of college sports could spark another upheaval.

So Plan A is to ind a power conference that will take them with Plan B being a full merger or buying some schools out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1783118957001527553

Hell yeah.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Reggie Bush and his football crimes being forgiven and rewarded is sickening.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What incredible cowards. I don't care if the decision to revoke the trophy was right or not, once you do it you can't change your mind in Bush's lifetime.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't think you can offer condolences following the death of OJ while maintaining a moral high ground of revoking Bush's Heisman.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

While we are at it, put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Komet posted:

While we are at it, put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame

Hell yeah now we’re talking