Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Good for Reggie, dude was one of the best to ever do it in college, travesty to have taken it in the first place. Why should the Heisman group care about the fuckin ncaa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

What incredible cowards. I don't care if the decision to revoke the trophy was right or not, once you do it you can't change your mind in Bush's lifetime.

Libs have already resurrected one Bush. May as well do the other.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pete Rose should be executed for his high crimes.

I am, of course, speaking of his hair cut

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I am, of course, speaking of his collaboration with Vince McMahon

:hmmyes:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pete Rose also might've had sex with a minor, so there's that.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

pseudodragon posted:

From the Athletic
https://theathletic.com/5437109/2024/04/22/pac-12-nonautonomous-conference?source=user-shared-article

So Plan A is to ind a power conference that will take them with Plan B being a full merger or buying some schools out.

Thank you. That matches my memory.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Pete Rose also might've had sex with a minor, so there's that.

Yea, who cares about the gambling, lets not forget he was a walking sex crime allegedly

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Mega Conferences is the future, I wish the Pac 12 would reform, only FL State + Clemson leave ACC for SEC or B1G, the American would get raided by the PAC and ACC, Tulane/Memphis/USF go to the ACC, and UTSA/Tulsa to NUPAC. Then what's left of the American, merges with Sun Belt and CUSA to form a Mega Conference. After this happens, the playoff should then have auto bids for champs of Big 12, B1G, SEC, ACC, NUPAC, and Sun American USA (name in progress.) The rest of the 6-8 bids would be wild cards.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 24, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spacebump posted:

If Mega Conferences is the future, I wish the Pac 12 would reform, only FL State + Clemson leave ACC for SEC or B1G, the American would get raided by the PAC and ACC, Tulane/Memphis/USF go to the ACC, and UTSA/Tulsa to NUPAC. Then what's left of the American, merges with Sun Belt and CUSA to form a Mega Conference. After this happens, the playoff should then have auto bids for champs of Big 12, B1G, SEC, ACC, NUPAC, and Sun American USA (name in progress.)

If there's ever a "mega conference" system, it's inconceivable to me that it would be more than 40 teams.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

General Dog posted:

If there's ever a "mega conference" system, it's inconceivable to me that it would be more than 40 teams.

40 teams is the Super League, not a system of mega-conferences.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Bart Giamatti should have added a secret coda that Rose would be reinstated five minutes after he died

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I think we have different ideas on what exactly a mega conference is. I feel like anything beyond 12 is the beginnings of a mega conference. The closer a conference gets to 20 teams, the closer they are to being a mega conference.

I hate conferences getting bigger, the slow death of regionalism, and tradition in the sport. Really, I just don't want to see my favorite team left out (yet).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

~60 teams involved only because Vandy and Rutgers have a seat at the table, and there's no way to justify that without including the rest of the P4.

Breakaway super league, OTOH, trims the fat, so to speak, and you wind up with ~40 teams.

e: So this was a week ago already, but Tech coach Joey McGuire had some thoughts about the helmet communication rules. He is not a fan of the nfl-esque version they adopted.

- Because they limited it to 1 player on the field at a time, it makes management harder. Teams have to swap helmets when swapping player packages as well as gives more for the refs to pay attention to.
- Means that signals from the sideline, all the stupid images and grids and whatever else, are still going to be a thing. Which also means that sign stealing will still be a thing.

He was in favor of either the rule they played the bowl game with (3 players with communication, shut off during the play) or expanding that even further, putting a speaker into every helmet.

Personally, I still think they missed the best solution: the HUD that AT&T developed for the school for the deaf. Gets rid of signs and sign stealing while not being responsive enough to take away from the game. You can put that on literally every helmet, every player can get the call, but it's not responsive enough to use for in-play communication. Forget accessibility, it's the best general-purpose solution.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 24, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I think we have different ideas on what exactly a mega conference is. I feel like anything beyond 12 is the beginnings of a mega conference. The closer a conference gets to 20 teams, the closer they are to being a mega conference.

I hate conferences getting bigger, the slow death of regionalism, and tradition in the sport. Really, I just don't want to see my favorite team left out (yet).

Ah yeah sorry, I was mistakenly conflating what you were talking about with the wildly implausible 80-team super league model that was being posed a few weeks backs.

I'm not sure what to make of the AAC going forward. I get that there weren't really any good moves on the table with Houston and UCF departing, but it seems that inviting half of C-USA diluted their product in a way that was maybe unnecessary. But I guess if the none of the top of the Sun Belt were going to break ranks then there wasn't much else they could do. In any event, seems like the MWC plus Wazzu and Oregon State (whatever shape and name that conference ends up taking) probably gets the benefit of the doubt as the best G5 going forward; and I don't think the Sun Belt is far behind the AAC in reality.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 24, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

~60 teams involved only because Vandy and Rutgers have a seat at the table, and there's no way to justify that without including the rest of the P4.

Justify it to who, God?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Ah yeah sorry, I was mistakenly conflating what you were talking about with the wildly implausible 80-team super league model that was being posed a few weeks backs.

I'm not sure what to make of the AAC going forward. I get that there weren't really any good moves on the table with Houston and UCF departing, but it seems that inviting half of C-USA diluted their product in a way that was maybe unnecessary. But I guess if the none of the top of the Sun Belt were going to break ranks then there wasn't much else they could do. In any event, seems like the MWC plus Wazzu and Oregon State (whatever shape and name that conference ends up taking) probably gets the benefit of the doubt as the best G5 going forward; and I don't think the Sun Belt is far behind the AAC in reality.

The entire Sun Belt media payout is about what an individual AAC school gets paid on their deal. None of this is really about quality of on the field product, it’s about money. Sure Tulane will lose their coach if they have a good season or two but at least it would be to a program on a P5 budget. Two of the last 4 sun belt coaches of the year left to other G5s.

I think the American will likely collapse if the ACC or NuPac poach a few schools before their next tv deal. I’d assume most schools in the American would leave for either of those options. It is hard to predict what happens to anyone outside of the P2 right now. Essentially all schools not in the SEC or B1G would burn every bridge with their current conference if it got them an invite.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2024

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Justify it to who, God?

Viewers. Since we know this is all controlled by ESPN.

And God. Sure.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yea, who cares about the gambling, lets not forget he was a walking sex crime allegedly

let him in the hall, then kick him out again

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A grave injustice not just giving this to Vince Young the GOAT pbuh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Viewers. Since we know this is all controlled by ESPN.

And God. Sure.

The nice thing about having a monopoly in inventory and coverage is that you don't really have to justify anything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A lot of this would have been way easier if they'd realized that IA should have been split in half like 20 years ago.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/big12conference/status/1783250982664589490?s=46

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Need to send the Irish and Nebraska back to drink the town dry again

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
SEC Throwback Logos.

Auburn, LSU and Mizzou apparently hired the same person to make their logos at some point.

Perhaps Texas, too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Big 12 Throwback Logos, too!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

That Arizona logo loving *slaps*.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Komet posted:

While we are at it, put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame

nah

Sash! posted:

I am, of course, speaking of his hair cut

Sash gets it

Gonz posted:

SEC Throwback Logos.

Auburn, LSU and Mizzou apparently hired the same person to make their logos at some point.

Perhaps Texas, too.

yeah I think there was one person specifically who did a bunch of the old Sailor Hat mascot drawings, at the very least it was A Style for a hot minute.

LeeMajors posted:

an absolute classic

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gonz posted:

Baylor looks like a sign for a roller coaster

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

harperdc posted:

an absolute classic

That and the Vols one are :discourse:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gonz posted:

SEC Throwback Logos.

Perhaps Texas, too.
I think Clemson has one of those too

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Man, these throwbacks are really bringing me back to the days of NCAA Basketball for SNES.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

How many of the schools represented in those throwback pics still make regular use of the “throwback” logo? OU still uses that schooner logo pretty often even if the block OU is the ubiquitous, standard logo.

Same deal with OSU and Pistol Pete

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I miss the McKale Center having it on the court.

Judgy Fucker posted:

How many of the schools represented in those throwback pics still make regular use of the “throwback” logo?

It's not on any of the uniforms but the old UGA logo is all over fan gear. I think the fanbase's feel for the circa 2013 Nike rebrand of everything is "it's fine," but you can't beat the classics.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

That's Baylor's "already dated on rollout" early 2000's logo; while that's technically a throwback it seems like Sailor Bear is the one you're looking for (though I know it's one of a million 60s vintage cartoon sailor mascots)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

When did Colorado have UCLA’s color scheme?

Also Cincinnati has never had anything close to what a real bearcat looks like. I am guessing it was conceived of as a fictional creature and nobody designing it has known about binturongs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This Colorado logo is sick

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

SEC Throwback Logos.

Perhaps Texas, too.

This Vols logo is amazing. How throwback is it? It feels like a late '60s early '70s one to me but probably way older.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hed posted:

This Vols logo is amazing. How throwback is it? It feels like a late '60s early '70s one to me but probably way older.

It screams US Bicentennial to me; I’m guessing 1976 +/-2 years

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cincy should bring this one back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm partial to the 1959-1068 "bear acting like a Halloween cat decoration" logo