Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Best series, metal gear solid
Cant call it the best franchise because of all the other lovely rear end metal gear games bringing down the average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Quake

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Best series, metal gear solid
Cant call it the best franchise because of all the other lovely rear end metal gear games bringing down the average

Which ones? I think all the mainline ones are p. great even if MGSV is clearly unfinished. Twin Snakes is kind of dumb asf as a remake but still a fun game. The AC!D games are hugely overlooked imo, love them. Peace Walker is great. Ghost Babel is impressive as a GBC game and I enjoyed it as a kid. Metal Gear 1 and 2 were still a blast when I replayed them recently, tho I've p much memorized them so the cryptic stuff wasn't a problem. Revengeance absolutely rules.

Even Survivor was kinda fun with some friends even tho there's zero reason for it to be called Metal Gear and it's definitely only average at best.

Portable Ops was kind of poo poo I guess. Very underbaked compared to Peace Walker and the story def feels like knock-off MG.

What am I missing? There's some phone game that takes place between MGS1 and 2 that I never played.

Definitely one of the best franchises IMO.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

loom

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
no, it Resident Evil.

Are you my father

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
star wars

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no, it Resident Evil.

Are you my father

maybe, if your mom played Loom she is pretty cool

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
there was more than 1 loom game?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it was written as a trilogy, the sequel is called forge

it was never made

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Sierra’s SWAT

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the gollum lord of the ring series

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I really want to say Master of Orion, but 3 exists :smith:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Dragon Quest imo

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

this as well, playing alyx in VR a few years ago was a pretty drat fine experience

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Consider the madden

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vampire Panties posted:

It's good if u want to do spreadsheets away from the office

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Junk posted:

there was more than 1 loom game?

Sadly no. Bobbin Threadbare is still looking for his mother

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
then it aint a "franchise" so get that fuckin poo poo OUTTA HEA

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Vampire Panties posted:

One of my favorite memories is being part of that zeitgeist, on these forums. People talked to me about how great MOO was, I never played either of the two, but man everybody was sooooo psyched about 3. And I bought it on day one as well.

We all came to the same conclusions about two hours in. A few pages into the thread and we had all gone from ecstatic joy to "hey does anyone else think this game is not good...?"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Monkey Island is definitely an absolutely massive favorite of mine but Escape is not good and Guybrush is insanely off-putting in that one because the new writers did not get him at all.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
tetris is one of the few series where every sequel was an improvement on the game before it without the quality dropping off

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Fatal frame is my favorite ghost-centric video game series.

Ignore the incest subplot in the 5th game. Nope that poo poo never happened.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315270/PEE_WAR/

Hmm, I think we've got an up-and-coming contender here. Pee Superman may or may not be a sufficiently legally distinct protagonist, but that should become a moot point sometime during the 2030s. In any event, it definitely gives more of what I wanted from Duke Nukem Forever

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
do sports games count as a franchise? because Madden football is generally pretty good

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

do sports games count as a franchise? because Madden football is generally pretty good

Eh, hasn't really changed since, 2005, I think, when they put the truck stick in

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
It's animal crossing, op. And you're indeed welcome

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

actually yeah this

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They call it Half Life because you spend half your life waiting for the next installment :xd:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Epyx Games Series

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The game that every RPG subsequently took their cues from remains the best series in the genre: Hydlide.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
How has nobody said Zelda yet?!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Which ones? I think all the mainline ones are p. great even if MGSV is clearly unfinished. Twin Snakes is kind of dumb asf as a remake but still a fun game. The AC!D games are hugely overlooked imo, love them. Peace Walker is great. Ghost Babel is impressive as a GBC game and I enjoyed it as a kid. Metal Gear 1 and 2 were still a blast when I replayed them recently, tho I've p much memorized them so the cryptic stuff wasn't a problem. Revengeance absolutely rules.

Even Survivor was kinda fun with some friends even tho there's zero reason for it to be called Metal Gear and it's definitely only average at best.

Portable Ops was kind of poo poo I guess. Very underbaked compared to Peace Walker and the story def feels like knock-off MG.

What am I missing? There's some phone game that takes place between MGS1 and 2 that I never played.

Definitely one of the best franchises IMO.

Just my humble opinion, all the mainline ones are awesome including peace walker (the original mgs 5, before they made the game called MGS 5.) Twin Snakes is also on the good list.
Acid, portable ops, gbc, the nes versions, are all just not any fun, so any cool stuff they did (which i acknowledge is a hell of a lot) is hard as gently caress to appreciate and not worth it imho. Metal Gear Survive can go gently caress itself in every way.
Revengeance, i haven’t played, but I'm inclined to see it positively

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Also has a lot of stinkers
My opinion is that tears of the kingdom is the overall single greatest video game anyone has made up until now. I still wouldnt call zelda the best franchise cause so many of its other games are bad

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Doctor Dogballs posted:

My opinion is that tears of the kingdom is the overall single greatest video game anyone has made up until now. I still wouldnt call zelda the best franchise cause so many of its other games are bad
Yeah kinda this, even though I love a lot of the individual games

It's a shame that Metroid has one obvious black mark on the franchise because otherwise it would be a slam dunk mention. Can we pretend that never happened?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Outpost22 posted:

ehhhhh

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
twilight princess, skyward sword, those near terrible wind waker sequels, some strange spinoffs...

majoras mask and botw are good poo poo and i really like wind waker too but other goons said it well: there's stinkers. oh and the recent totk was excruciating

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Doctor Dogballs posted:

New Zelda boring

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah kinda this, even though I love a lot of the individual games

It's a shame that Metroid has one obvious black mark on the franchise because otherwise it would be a slam dunk mention. Can we pretend that never happened?

fusion isn't very good and federation force is like a second black eye really

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
There's never been a bad Tomb Raider game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

N. Senada posted:

It’s Yakuza

I got Yakuza 0 for my computer but the title screen says I'm not a real Yakuza cause I don't play it with a controller but I'm not about to buy the stupid rear end adapter or whatever you need to use a goddamn Microsoft XBox controller with my Microsoft Windows computer the loving pieces of poo poo you know it doesn't actually need that to work and they are just doing this to squeeze an extra $30 out of you because gently caress you that's why

Anyway I like the far cry games a lot