Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

hiddenriverninja posted:

I want to play the alternate version of this game where I'm an Eagle pilot putting down 500 KGs or a bridge officer coordinating orbital strikes

Call of Duty Modern Warfare AC 130 Missions I have missed u for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd love a bullshit 5 minute mission as a pelican door gunner. Probably have to disable team killing though

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Playing the crewman in EVA muzzle loading each of the individual munitions into each of the destroyer's guns like I'm playing hardspace shipbreaker

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

hiddenriverninja posted:

I want to play the alternate version of this game where I'm an Eagle pilot putting down 500 KGs or a bridge officer coordinating orbital strikes

5th drop pod slot, you are the eagle pilot. You have some leeway in not bombing your own troops

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Like that SHIELD guy who got caught playing Galaga

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If a tank corpse is blocking the exit shuttle is there a way to remove it?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ijyt posted:

how is anyone using the eruptor on anything but missile defense and bots, its takes a whole mission to cycle one round.

i wear the fortified commando armor and just start running away a bit while cycling the round, the extra beefiness helps a ton.

people sleep on the commando armor. my usual kit is the eruptor+smg pistol set to single shot+a laser cannon or eat and I never die, plus consistently save the pubbies I play with. Throw in a shield if you want extra tankiness, but sometimes it feels like overkill.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

space uncle posted:

I tried the Adjudicator against bots and I don’t understand what the point is. I tried crouching, I wore anti recoil armor, I tried tap firing, I spammed it into Berserkers at point blank. I tried to Medium Pen devastators.

It basically failed to kill every single thing I thought it would kill. Yes when it gets Devastator headshots it kills them, but it bounces like an absolute bastard. Sickle does the same job so much faster and with infinite ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/hRaHQqj.mp4

I don't really use the sickle so if I'm missing a trick beyond "shoot at head" let me know.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/0f3YXMv.mp4

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody else think robot gunships need to be toned down? It would be nice if they have a spawn limit or something. Starting a mission close to one or god forbid a pair of them seems like a near instant recipe for reinforcements.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Jerkface posted:

I use it pretty much exclusively vs bugs right now. I run light armor eruptor, redeemer, impacts and usually queso. You just stick and move? It shoots fast enough TBH - shoot, sprint away a little, shoot, sprint away, shoot, take out quasar and shoot something, back to eruptor. Shoot pull out redeemer to hose down the hunter that jumped out of the way of the rocket :argh: etc I always reload when theres 1 shot left in the mag cuz it reloads super fast.

I noticed my survivability went up massively after I started using the Eruptor. Yeah it's a good gun but I think that has to do with the way you describe using it. I'm not standing there dumping bullets like with the sickle, I'm constantly moving and only stopping for a second to fire a shot before I start moving again. A lot of deaths that come from spewers, hunters, chargers, etc, blindsiding you end up being prevented because you're usually in motion and able to have more situational awareness in general.

On bugs especially, movement is life. Shoot and scoot.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WarpedLichen posted:

Anybody else think robot gunships need to be toned down? It would be nice if they have a spawn limit or something. Starting a mission close to one or god forbid a pair of them seems like a near instant recipe for reinforcements.

Sounds like a team that was not pulling their weight shooting down gunships. They go down pretty fast as long as everyone has an appropriate weapon. Aim for the engines/thrusters.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All you need is one person with an autocannon and good aim. You can kill gunships as quickly as they come out of the factory.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Away all Goats posted:

Sounds like a team that was not pulling their weight shooting down gunships. They go down pretty fast as long as everyone has an appropriate weapon. Aim for the engines/thrusters.

Agree. It takes only one person to go on anti-air duty with the right weapon to give enough cover, if not just kill all the gunships, for the other three to set the hellbomb and get the gently caress out.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

This is before anybody could call down their support weapons...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

WarpedLichen posted:

Run away from the gun ship towers if your squad can’t deal with them. Setup somewhere else and work your way back to the gunship towers afterwards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

Skill issue

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

WarpedLichen posted:

Tell the host not to drop in the red areas. Some primary weapons (Eruptor, Scorcher, Dominator, Slugger, Adjudicator, probably more) can also kill gunships with enough shots. As mentioned you can also just book it out the area and regroup.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Nah. It's no different than landing on a tank or hulk in a jamming field, sometimes poo poo just goes sideways and the game is more fun when you have to overcome it.

As long as someone has a scorcher you can deal with them long enough to hellbomb them pretty easily.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've been debating on whether just dropping my team straight into primary objectives or small bases for automatons is better than hitting any clear landing. At least then I know what I'm in for.

Anytime I drop safe I get us wedged in between gunships and a stratagem jammer or eye of sauron. I do love how hard this game goes tits up very quickly though.

The gunships really force you to hustle so they don't build a critical mass. If you let them churn em out it does get dicey.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you really want a safe drop just hit the very edge of the map. Nothing can spawn there.

Dropping in a "clear" area is probably going to land you near enough a POI to get an instant flare.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

thanks! drat seems pretty hard to see.. has anyone in this thread been able to consistently do this?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Sindai posted:

If you really want a safe drop just hit the very edge of the map. Nothing can spawn there.

Dropping in a "clear" area is probably going to land you near enough a POI to get an instant flare.

I've been doing this for weeks and its a real 50/50. You're much less likely to be surrounded, much more likely to drop in the middle of nowhere, but I still drop on cannon tower POIs or between a jammer, a gunship tower, and a observation tower all the time. I'd been considering dropping in the red because I never do and that way at least you could maybe drop and instantly take out a small or medium base.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

At this point for me given that side objectives don't always get a red bubble, and blank spots can easily contain POIs and other problems who shoot flares before you even have time to assess there's 5 robots/bugs lurking in a ditch I just slam drop right into objectives. If its a robot objective you can smash straight into the fabs when you land. At least that way I can turn on terminals, etc, while defending from the inevitable first wave. There's no way to know where gunships, jammers, stalker nests, shrieker nests, etc are on the pre-drop screen so I'm not going to pretend I can avoid them - I'll just call for the JAMMER NORTH EVERYONE RUN NORTH if we land in one.

I wouldn't drop directly into an egg objective just because those tend to have a lot of stationary guards AND nests around the outside which will trickle more bugs inwards, but for every other type I'm content to slam straight in.

EDIT: this is for difficulty 7, I don't know if at the higher ones they have casual BTs, hulks and tanks hanging out in objective areas that would make them hard to clear when you drop but before you get support weapons.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

space uncle posted:

I love the Eruptor against bugs, still haven’t really gotten the hang of it against bots. I agree with the earlier poster who said AC is king vs bots and Eruptor is a poor man’s AC.

I tried the Adjudicator against bots and I don’t understand what the point is. I tried crouching, I wore anti recoil armor, I tried tap firing, I spammed it into Berserkers at point blank. I tried to Medium Pen devastators.

It basically failed to kill every single thing I thought it would kill. Yes when it gets Devastator headshots it kills them, but it bounces like an absolute bastard. Sickle does the same job so much faster and with infinite ammo.

Set it to full auto and never look back. Against devastators you want to burst at the heads ideally but you can usually still mag dump into their torsos or waists as necessary.

The problem with comparing things to the sickle is that the sickles are kinda OP.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Captainicus posted:

I just slam drop right into objectives.

ive been doing this the last two weeks on 9's and things have been going just as well if not better then when i would try for "safe" zones. it works just fine on all objectives, youll clear out an egg objective in like 15 seconds dropping onto them. some times you get lucky and land right at a jammer too.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Kly posted:

ive been doing this the last two weeks on 9's and things have been going just as well if not better then when i would try for "safe" zones. it works just fine on all objectives, youll clear out an egg objective in like 15 seconds dropping onto them. some times you get lucky and land right at a jammer too.

I had a couple bad experiences dropping into eggs, maybe I'll give it another go if it isn't always so bad!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hot drops work great on bot missions since you can land right on the fabricators. Knocks an entire objective out, and you can usually shoot your way out of the area before the dropships come. Don't avoid the red dots, land on them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

drrockso20 posted:

I keep saying it we need a Stratagem that's just the Super Destroyer hucking an empty Hellpod at the enemy that has a near instant call down and a very short cooldown, basically a bootleg version of the Orbital Railcannon

We do. EAT rear end

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I know behemoth chargers are supposed to have exactly the same stats as regular chargers, but I swear the last 2 times I've seen one (both times guarding the primary objective in 40 minute evacuations) it definitely took 2 quasar hits to the forehead to kill them.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Never thought about it before but a lot of main objectives are probably safer than dropping anywhere else, most of them don't tend to have tons of guys and you're less likely to be in range of a jammer or detector tower. Might start trying this.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's kind of fun just dropping at the absolute worst-looking places. Often you land on a spore spewer, destroying it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sindai posted:

I know behemoth chargers are supposed to have exactly the same stats as regular chargers, but I swear the last 2 times I've seen one (both times guarding the primary objective in 40 minute evacuations) it definitely took 2 quasar hits to the forehead to kill them.

probably the different shape just misleading you where the hitbox is tbh xD

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Never thought about it before but a lot of main objectives are probably safer than dropping anywhere else, most of them don't tend to have tons of guys and you're less likely to be in range of a jammer or detector tower. Might start trying this.

Wish you could see bot base outlines on the deployment map, i'd bullseye them every time. Chance of nailing 1 - 4 fabs on landing, and you get some guaranteed cover once you clear out the static spawns . Nothing like dropping in a "safe" non-red area and immediately getting pounced on in an open area by a patrol while in jamming range.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The good news if you land on a jammer or detector or gunship tower is you don't need to fight your way in from the outside to shut them down. If you land on a SAM site it's your lucky day. There's never a bad hot drop.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Sindai posted:

Or drop directly onto the extract point. That's aways clear except on 8 or 9, and you have the benefit of being able to clear out the nearby PoIs/spawns/objectives for a quieter extract at the end.

At worst you might get unlucky and there's a cannon tower that can overlook it.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
7's can have occupied extracts as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I use it pretty much exclusively vs bugs right now. I run light armor eruptor, redeemer, impacts and usually queso. You just stick and move? It shoots fast enough TBH - shoot, sprint away a little, shoot, sprint away, shoot, take out quasar and shoot something, back to eruptor. Shoot pull out redeemer to hose down the hunter that jumped out of the way of the rocket :argh: etc I always reload when theres 1 shot left in the mag cuz it reloads super fast.

there are way too many bugs at any one time for that to ever work with the people I play.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

darnon posted:

7's can have occupied extracts as well.

Really? It must be fairly rare as I can't recall having any occupied extract points at 7.

Definetly a better roll of the dice than dropping into a 'clear' area at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
if you're fighting bots just drop on the biggest red dot you can find and hope things work out hth