Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Brutal Garcon posted:

Incredible ending, though I was hoping Superbia would show up somehow

Biggest missed opportunity for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Fantastic ending, such an enormous flood of positivity and the power of love and bravery over all. And this one's for the gays! Yeah!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1774281353418383506?t=W-EoFj8w9PMKGzaGvPfOWQ&s=19

Obari sketch from 2020. He's been cooking for a while with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t2w0lrnU4c

Buy yourself a Bravern Frypan

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 31, 2024

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you know arresting Isami makes the most sense when you think about this kind of situation. hella dark for an anime tho

the juxtaposition of Bravern stating that Isami came inside him is 1000% intentional and hilarious

loving lol that Lewis gave Isami a Bright slap

double lol that Bravern interrupted the super attack

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 31, 2024

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ending episode 4 with Tokyo getting wiped is a hell of a tone setter

the show has passed the 3 episode test and has a lot of potential. there are too many places to save for the amount of episodes left. so we're going to need a plot acceleration device

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnii0bUeP9w

Subtitled version of the frying pan ad.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

"Installed on it is a very light handle, comparable to the embodiment of the safety felt in a lover's handhold."

They know exactly what they're doing and I love it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That channel also has translated all the Memories of Deathdrives videos.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I... I need that pan :stonk:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

I... I need that pan :stonk:

I'd say the same but not at that price

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'd say the same but not at that price

Are you mad?!

39,800 JPY for 9 tons of enamelled aluminium is an absolute steal!

BUY NOW!

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 1, 2024

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I randomly found one of those memories of death drives vids, they're so absurd.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Perfect show, no notes.

here's my notes: i'll mark spoiler even though teh show ended last week and i'm talking as far back as ep 8
Smith should've died in Episode 7. The first half of the show is just a little too slow, specially the tactical stuff, to condense it by 1 episode and then give an episode to the timeline where they beat Ira but Superbia isn't there would've done wonders. The chunk of an episode we spend there's already pretty good, but doing that a whole episode that ends with the time travel would've helped our bonds with the sidecast without necessarily giving them more focus (just a glance of how they deal with the future besides the 1) and more Superbia adapting throughout the years. However, I can see why this couldn't have worked: showing any of that timeline's Ira fight would be necessary and this production seems totally bottlenecked by the fights.

But that's my only complaint. There's too much downtime between double entenderes and Smith/Isami's relationship's progression in that first half.
the pacing for the last 2 episodes was absolutely perfect and i loved where it all ended

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Brave the Summon, while cool, immediately begs the question of what endgame power level looks like. it looks like we're going to get wild

the fact that Brave's intro sequence is actually on display for people to see, killed me

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
a mother loving gattai. I should have seen it coming

while time travel was a plot point in GaoGaiGar I didn't see it coming here

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ok finished it and what a great show. I'll happily play whichever SRW this debuts in. so many amazing cut ins

bravery and courage truly conquer all

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

ok finished it and what a great show. I'll happily play whichever SRW this debuts in. so many amazing cut ins

bravery and courage truly conquer all

It premiered in the mobile game. So, that might be trickier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its such a shoe-in addition for SRW
Not many units, an excuse to travel the world, enemies disconnected from the world, upgrades that unlock during fights.

The only thing thats iffy is that it takes place on actual earth and its the US, Japan and Germany

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its such a shoe-in addition for SRW
Not many units, an excuse to travel the world, enemies disconnected from the world, upgrades that unlock during fights.

The only thing thats iffy is that it takes place on actual earth and its the US, Japan and Germany

we've had SRW's with multiple Japans before. it can be done. they could always change the fight locations and keep the stories mostly intact

I was a little worried of Getter Rays when Smith started talking but it stuck the landing

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

we've had SRW's with multiple Japans before. it can be done. they could always change the fight locations and keep the stories mostly intact

I was a little worried of Getter Rays when Smith started talking but it stuck the landing

In fact I think it's been a while since we had an SRW that didn't have multiple Japans, at least if you count "We had them in our backstory before we ended up here because reasons"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Supremezero posted:

In fact I think it's been a while since we had an SRW that didn't have multiple Japans, at least if you count "We had them in our backstory before we ended up here because reasons"

What do you mean? The two Japans thing is a meme from Z2, back in 2011. There was a rash of multiple alternate Earths since then but the last two didn't have those either.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Caphi posted:

What do you mean? The two Japans thing is a meme from Z2, back in 2011. There was a rash of multiple alternate Earths since then but the last two didn't have those either.

Alternate earths include alternate japans, and a bunch of people (usually from DLC) came from alternate earths in 30, and I seem to remember something of the sort in T.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Alternate earths include alternate japans, and a bunch of people (usually from DLC) came from alternate earths in 30, and I seem to remember something of the sort in T.

V had alternate Japans because you had multiple dimension shenanigans going on, but I don't think that T had that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

T doesn't have a second Japan in the base game. It just has alien planets and an isekai setting. However, some bonus missions and the paid DLC cross over with X and V, which are alternate worlds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do hope that someone gets a second go at the subtitling for the show because the CR ones kinda suck with the way they misspell names. It should be Kunus not Knuth its in her name!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/icedoll456/status/1777808047072784840?t=yMFAjjLfnwhjpQlFzHulsg&s=19

I mean when you out it like that...

Yes, that is literally what happened.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just for a flashback have the original PV

https://twitter.com/bangbravern/status/1663108470328147968

The really did lie to us and make it bad on purpose didn't they!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That title doesn't fit with the PV at all, if I had been paying attention back then I would have been suspicious. Just suspicious though, not in any way able to predict what the show actually was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

That title doesn't fit with the PV at all, if I had been paying attention back then I would have been suspicious. Just suspicious though, not in any way able to predict what the show actually was.

A lot of people were suspicious, especially with the number of Cygames anime that had a big twist in episode 1, but the exact nature of that twist was still being debated until episode 1.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking at the intro again its kind of amazing how they showed everything but gave away nothing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently the Blu Ray release of Bravern includes an epilogue novella about Smith Isami and Lulu going on a family vacation cruise 6 months after episode 12. There's also supposed to be a Future Soldier Lulu spinoff book/comic coming out later.

I wish these things got an official translated release.

https://bangbravern.com/bd?t=vol1

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
But do they kiss?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Once you've been naked inside your lover I think that's a moot point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

Once you've been naked inside your lover I think that's a moot point.

Just ask Goku

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

God. I appreciate modern single cour shows for enabling finishing up series without too serious a time investment.

but sometimes I so badly miss the older 26 ep format.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm a little late but I just finished watching BBBB.

Over all I thought it was very good but not quite great. I kind of preferred the earlier episodes when there was more friction between the "real" military and Bravern's questionably appropriate enthusiasm. It felt like that didn't really get a resolution.

Also, ngl, I have a few mixed thoughts on Lulu.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Watched this recently based on some half-remembered good buzz around the forum and an itch to watch a mecha anime since it'd been a while. Didn't know what to make of the tone in the first few episodes but it does settle into a solid comedy pretty quick and it even reconciles some of these things into some pretty great punchlines (eg. from Isami's realistic and horrible waterboarding to the undercut one with Lulu and finally the fantastic scene where the guy tries to waterboard Superbia and his apology to Isami). Still pretty uneven throughout but just about every episode had a scene that made me laugh irl (even the last one has one of the evil robot's entire purpose being to set up a bitching explosion as a backdrop to Bravern's final transformation even though the tone of the rest of the episode is way more straightforward).

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm a little late but I just finished watching BBBB.

Over all I thought it was very good but not quite great. I kind of preferred the earlier episodes when there was more friction between the "real" military and Bravern's questionably appropriate enthusiasm. It felt like that didn't really get a resolution.

Also, ngl, I have a few mixed thoughts on Lulu.

I feel similar to this overall. Whoever compared it to Samurai Flamenco earlier in the thread was pretty spot-on, I think, in how they're somewhat similar in how they play with the tone, escalation, and expectations. But it doesn't drag out its premise as hard as that series did on account of just being one cour. Honestly thought the finale'd be way gayer just on account of how confident they were on that angle in earlier episodes (the dick grinding in the boxing match, for example) so I felt a bit disappointed in how safe the last episode was compared to how wild the series was willing to get before that point.

Also yeah, I agree that the Lulu stuff is pretty hit or miss. I can see where they wanted to go with it, and there is someting important about the other pilot being the fully realized version of the disposable pilots the bad robots used to operate, but the sexual angle with the piloting still felt kind of skeevy since so much of the series is spent treating her like an actual child (even if they try to sand it off a bit with her mind coming back in time help Superbia get his final wish and fix up the bad future).

Still a really good series and I get the hype that came out of it tho. Direction was pretty good and confident about its jokes. It gets plenty of mileage out of little cuts that tell a lot but the series is good enough about not over-explaining them (like Bravern making his own upgrade out of a 3d printed gunpla set lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Your comment about BBBB playing with tone, escalation, and expectation is spot on and is a part of why I was a little disappointed. It felt like it might have been setting up something stranger and more interesting than just the exact typical finale you'd expect from an Obari joint.