Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Bang Brave Bang Bravern is an original mecha anime directed by Masami Ōbari and produced at CygamesPictures. Inheriting the title of the classic Brave series of robot shows but taking it into a new tonal direction, Bravern sets itself up as a Hollywood-inspired war drama centered on the rivalry between exuberant american mech pilot Lewis Smith and ice-cool japanese mech pilot Isami Ao, highlighting the human cost and psychological strain of war against an unknown enemy. Then something something they are now in a gay love triangle with a giant alien robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkg_03wzNKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRO9Hk5ACs

Bravern is wild. It's the surprise of the season to me. The 1st 2 episodes thus far released are an absolute ride, and it looks to have a lot to offer for people who are fans of mecha, grand operatic BL, and/or things that are just generally a bit tonally unhinged. Also, I think the girls are cute. Very excited to see where it's going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Get in the loving robot's guts Isami.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I keep thinking of Smith thinking "yeah, he's handsome..." to himself and I'm sure he's talking about Bravern. I think this ends with a gattai that'll represent polycules.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BRAVE BANG BRAVERN

https://twitter.com/a_o_umiushi/status/1748305542576263184

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 19, 2024

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The reveal. In this very serious military meeting. Following a somber funeral scene. That a giant robot is attending, through a hole in the wall is. Tonal perfection. It's peak.

God bless this show and all who ride in him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd just like to point out that Guel has taken another loss when proposing to a gay character who doesn't want him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im really impressed because it really does feel like a proper military setting. It reminds in that regard to Hisone to Matosan where you have a fantasy elements imposed on a realistic military background. Like if you had people that were in the military advice on the setting.

Also both the pilots somehow end up naked inside their mechas???

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Obligatory Twitter-alternate link for the character designer: https://nitter.net/sangsilnoh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lmao the censor on Isami getting waterboarded

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Too realistic how the Americans immediately arrested Isami and tortured him. I know this is gritty war drama meets super robot but there are lines that are uncomfortable to cross.

Otherwise good show.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
lol
https://twitter.com/sangsilnoh/status/1748045528494149878

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The end credits is a duet between two shirtless dudes, this show is going places and I'm all for it.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh, this show is going to be GAY, isn't it?

I am here for it, give me the content.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

oh yeah the eyecatch is so perfect, too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not Obari without the Brave Perspective

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I finally watched the first two episodes.

What the gently caress is happening.

I am here for it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That ending.

I found a bunch of the jokes in episode 2 very funny, but I kept it together until I got to the ending.

That was hilariously unexpected, even though I reasonably should have.

Anyway show is perfect no notes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm assuming the obvious alien woman is the one in the op and she's related to whatever upgrade Smith gets because we can't have a rivalry where one has a super robot and the other has a completely ineffectual real robot.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I'm assuming the obvious alien woman is the one in the op and she's related to whatever upgrade Smith gets because we can't have a rivalry where one has a super robot and the other has a completely ineffectual real robot.

Honestly I would think it would rule to have the seemingly straight-laced but kind of cowardly guy pilot the super robot while the gung-ho 'wants to be a hero' type gets the real robot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope Bravern gives the real robots some edge to help them fight the Deathdrivers. They can't keep doing the Independence Day meneergy shields forever and we've already got an M2 TS with boxing gloves ready to go.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
this show is incredible and whoever wrote the synopsis on CR and did the tags on MAL deserves some kind of award for hiding it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

this show is incredible and whoever wrote the synopsis on CR and did the tags on MAL deserves some kind of award for hiding it

Cygames hid it right up until the premiere. Worked, too, since it made the OP sell like crazy on Japanese Amazon and got the show trending on twitter, when a version of the show that admitted things up front would probably have faded into the background like Synduality or Kyoukai Senki.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
I am pleased that this show is following in Dynazenon's path by having the mech play its own theme song and having the pilot notice it.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The reveal. In this very serious military meeting. Following a somber funeral scene. That a giant robot is attending, through a hole in the wall is. Tonal perfection. It's peak.
The senior staff trying to keep it together while Bravern is excitedly reciting his steamy fanfiction had me rolling.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It was hidden so well that my mecha friend going in was like "I'll give it a shot since it's Obari, but looks like a plain military mecha show, and it's CG mechs so who knows" and I'm pretty sure part of the reason Crunchyroll waited until this week to get the show was because they didn't know either and figured it wasn't gonna be worth licensing lol

None of this made sense to me until I remembered who Cygames is. Of course the company raking in the granblue fantasy money can do a big gay obari mecha and hide the premise of it for shits and giggles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bandai: Suletta and Miorine's relationship is up to interpretation.

Cygames: He came inside me.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The ending was amazing, oh my god.

They all perfectly know their audience, thanks Obari.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chiasaur11 posted:

like Synduality or Kyoukai Senki.

Except these sucked

Hiding the premise made a good thing great. I went in thinking it was going to be another kyoukai senki but a bit more hopeful for at least cool robot stuff from obari.
Hopefully it continues on this trajectory.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m going to be singing “bang bang bangbang, bang bangbangbangbang BRAVERRRRRN” all week. I love this gay-rear end show already.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering how much the name and the OP instrumental in the trailers clashed with the real robot stuff, I was expecting some kind of turn coming in

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea idk why people are acting like this is some Huge Surprise That Took Everyone By Storm, its was pretty obvious from the promo materials. feel like its mostly people who barely know obari or mecha talking about it like this

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eating Bang Bang Chicken while reading about Bang Brave Bang Bravern.

Removing one of the Bangs from the international title is a crime.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I think most mecha fans expected it to have Super Robot/Brave robot. The real twist is just how extra Bravern is

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I expected Obari to pull an Obari and apply it to a Real Robot show.

Instead we got a real robot show interrupted by an Obari super robot show and thats even better since it's handling both with class.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Gyra_Solune/status/1748731454178165085?t=4_VH_TElZkJBSHrf7_Jbkw&s=19

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I would not describe anything that is happening in Bang Brave Bang Bravern as being 'with class'.

Unless you think Bravern loudly recalling his first experience with Isami to an increasingly uncomfortable military upper command is classy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's in a class of its own :colbert:

https://twitter.com/wkqejrdhkd1/status/1748576941827907675?t=tWGj6LMmN3I-XevE2jCXfg&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 20, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so this tweet is the character designer saying that they mostly draw yuri artbooks and feel a little silly imagining BY THE CHARACTER DESIGNER OF BRAVERN on them

they then followed this up by drawing

https://twitter.com/sangsilnoh/status/1748762230278263087

if bravern also has yuri in it it might truly be anime of the century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQVJ8kaMey0