Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So a new set of preview images was released:

And I noticed that either Bravern is off model in that first shot, which seems unlikely, or something else is going here.

Above is the preview and below is a shot of Bravern without his colours.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
If anyone uses LINE, they have stamps and themes for BRAVERN! now.

https://x.com/mup_contents/status/1773267742272967140?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Not outside of Japan though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

bravern ended as it should - 20 minutes of crowd pleaser super robot insanity

smith, you son of a bitch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I know nothing of this series but I saw Brave in the title and assume that it's somehow related to the Brave series. are robots our best friends in this one too?

its directed by masami obari, who was a mecha designer, animation director, and key animator for some of the brave series. he was most involved with fighbird, but he worked on all of them besides goldran and dagwon.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
That was some delightful nonsense. Smiiiiiiiiiiiiith

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Incredible ending, though I was hoping Superbia would show up somehow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They stuck that goddamn landing gently caress yes.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I appreciate how apparently no one told the final boss we swapped from real robot edginess into super robot insanity 11 episodes ago

"WHAT ARE YOU" bitch this is super robot, they're whatever they drat well please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bravern and Lewis appearing to Isami to get him out of his funk and Lewis doesn't say two words before Isami socks him in the face for dying.

I mean, he technically didn't die, Isami.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Well apparently I was wrong and just misinterpreted some particularly dramatic lighting.

A good ending overall I guess but not nearly gay enough. I'm genuinely really drat annoyed that they didn't even let them hug on screen, let alone kiss.

At least it was a happy ending.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

MOTHERFUCKING ANIME OF THE YEAR

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he was naked inside bravern (smith) idk what else you need

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More episodes, honestly. That's really my only mild criticism of the show. I'd have loved to see Bravern and friends go on a cross country adventure more than only doing a "sail to Japan and then immediately return to Hawaii."

The show doesn't feel like it needed more episodes to tell its story, but it would be nice. It certainly isn't hurt by the 12 episode runtime, it used the episodes it had exceptionally well.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 28, 2024

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Kind of feels like they wanted to globe trot, then decided "But Volcanos tho"

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

he was naked inside bravern (smith) idk what else you need

Actually letting your gay couple embrace and be a couple. Maybe have any kind of acknowledgement at all of their relationship in your finale instead of just having things carry on like he didn't just declare his love the last time they were alone together?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Show stayed true to itself all the way through the end, a big gay fun nonsense ride. I don't think I'm going to be thinking about it a lot going forward but it was a great experience week to week

But yeah, I would have liked it to be twice the length. I know the days of brave robot shows getting 50 eps by default are long behind us, and the mile-a-minute pace is certainly part of its madcap appeal, but it's hard for me to not dream of a version of the show where we actually travel with the sunrise to fight robots around the world, giving us a bit more time to organically develop the relationships and space to give to the side cast. If there's one thing I'm disproportionally annoyed about it's that Akira and Sherry had really cool character designs but then didn't get to like, do anything

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Captain Fargle posted:

Actually letting your gay couple embrace and be a couple. Maybe have any kind of acknowledgement at all of their relationship in your finale instead of just having things carry on like he didn't just declare his love the last time they were alone together?
But... They are a couple. The show takes great pains to make clear that's what the pilot-pilotee relationship means, it's like the text of the show. If you want to see some smooching men animated and are disappointed you didn't get that here that's cool but it's not a case of lacking acknowledgement by any means

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nah, Isami saying that they have love and passion is just them being good friends.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The wrong person jumped into Smith for a hug in the final scene.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i cant believe its over

what a short, loving beautiful ride

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

We will await your response once you have begun your journey.

watched the first episode last night. I love the military mechs being Heavy Gears, complete with roller skates. they sure do know how to get me into a series

I like the vibes and am avoiding spoilers since today is last episode. so I'll likely not be reading the thread much til I can bang through more episodes

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Terry van Feleday posted:

But... They are a couple. The show takes great pains to make clear that's what the pilot-pilotee relationship means, it's like the text of the show. If you want to see some smooching men animated and are disappointed you didn't get that here that's cool but it's not a case of lacking acknowledgement by any means

Maybe I'm not communicating clearly and if so I apologise.

When I say acknowledgement here I mean that it felt kinda like if Episode 11 and the confession hadn't happened at all their interactions in the finale would still have been exactly the same you know?.They don't treat each other like a couple who've just got together properly after a very intense build up. You could have gone straight from Episode 10 to Episode 12 with just a 30 second flashback shot of Wrath gutting Bravern and it wouldn't feel like you'd missed anything relationship wise and I think that sucks.

Swilo posted:

The wrong person jumped into Smith for a hug in the final scene.

This, basically.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm 100% in agreement. I'm really disappointed that Isami didn't run to smith and kiss him at the end. It's a drat good show but it really needed that at the ending.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i 100% understand your frustrations but i can honestly can not think of a better ending than having isami and lewis do the predator handshake naked.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

til I can bang through more episodes

If you're brave enough to bang

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i need more episodes of, "bang brave bang bravern",

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The continuing adventures of Bang Bravern and Futute Soldier Lulu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this fixation on like, kissing or w/e, is kinda weird. a lot of straight romance anime dont end with that lol. it feels mostly like projection outwards as needing something to 'prove' its gay when even if they did make out for 20 minutes uninterrupted people would still ignore it. idk

like 'not missing anything...' but 11 itself means a lot. its weird to act like it doesnt matter just because they didnt perform this hyperspecific action. its basically arguments homophobes make to dismiss gay text but from the opposite direction

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean, at the end of Witch of Mercury the couple got married so it's not a stretch to ask for a kiss.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Captain Fargle posted:

but... isami said they were powered by love during the big scene??? also, its so blatantly obvious idk how much more it could have been barring the characters literally turning to the screen and going "we are gay and going to raise a future time travelling adoptive daughter" directly at the camera

like i get wanting things to be Gayer but, this was also pretty gay and it feels odd, to see people go it only Really Counts As True Gay if they kiss or smth at the end

Endorph posted:

this fixation on like, kissing or w/e, is kinda weird. a lot of straight romance anime dont end with that lol. it feels mostly like projection outwards as needing something to 'prove' its gay when even if they did make out for 20 minutes uninterrupted people would still ignore it. idk

like 'not missing anything...' but 11 itself means a lot. its weird to act like it doesnt matter just because they didnt perform this hyperspecific action. its basically arguments homophobes make to dismiss gay text but from the opposite direction

uh whoops i was typing for too long but, basically this yeah

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's not a bait and switch though for sure. 11's confession of love was an amazing scene.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I mean, at the end of Witch of Mercury the couple got married so it's not a stretch to ask for a kiss.
tbf witch from mercury also had some random exec screaming about how that was a mass delusion we all experienced

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Endorph posted:

tbf witch from mercury also had some random exec screaming about how that was a mass delusion we all experienced

Yeah that was pretty predictable.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

but they also don't actually show the marriage at all or kiss either??? they show rings and make an in laws joke and its also blatantly obvious but there was also, no actual kissing there

and also some bandai ceo got so terrified of it they tried desperately backpedaling like 4 months later wrt a censored VA interview, to the confusion of basically everyone (ah endorph beat me again!!)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I would have been ok with Isami and Smith going on a date during the credits. They tour the hangar bay filled with the 3d printed models and Smith is pointing out which shows they're from.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Maera Sior posted:

I would have been ok with Isami and Smith going on a date during the credits. They tour the hangar bay filled with the 3d printed models and Smith is pointing out which shows they're from.

yeah that would have been sick as gently caress!!!

i want more episodes only now its just a chill slice of life.....

also, rip superbia :rip:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a post-credits where smith and isami crack open cold ones (kona big wave) in a hot tub

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

I really resent the words you're trying to put in my mouth here.

Me, as a gay man, wanting greater representation on screen of gay couples being allowed to be openly intimate and affectionate towards each other is not at all a comparable situation. Kindly knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
i liked the part where they were grinding their dicks together on the ground in front of like 300 people