Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm gonna put down my theory now:

Bravern is, in some sense, Smith. He was made from Smith's dreams and ideals somehow, and his personality is Smith's. Maybe manifested him somehow, or got scanned, or he gets himself turned into a robot in the future and comes back. Maybe the girl and her alien technology is involved.

See, Bravern is explicitly Smith's perfect dream super robot, and he and Smith are awfully similar. The reason he can't be piloted effectively by Smith is because he'd be piloting himself. It'd be the same as just Bravern. He has to be keyed to someone else - and that person is the one Smith believes in the most.

There's no contradiction in the ending theme at all. It's not a love triangle. Smith trusts Isami and Isami trusts Smith, he just doesn't know he is putting himself inside Smith. And Bravern may not even know why he's all about Isami, but it would all make sense if he got it from Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Except these sucked

Hiding the premise made a good thing great. I went in thinking it was going to be another kyoukai senki but a bit more hopeful for at least cool robot stuff from obari.
Hopefully it continues on this trajectory.

Kyoukai Senki sucked. Synduality is alright. Good gags, fun cast, well choreographed action, interesting setting details. Not something I'd grab someone by the throat to insist they watch, but something I'm glad to see weekly.

But quality isn't the focus here. (and if you wanted I could have thrown out a bunch of other Super and Real robot shows lately, like Back Arrow, Bullbuster, Garanndoll, Megaton Musashii, Granbelm...) The focus is how little prominence most of the non-franchise mech shows lately have had. Even with a big marketing push and lots of merch, they tend to just be ignored and forgotten pretty quick.

Meanwhile, the gimmick here of emphasizing in interviews that this is Obari doing a Grounded, Serious mecha show before bringing in Bravern and his utter insanity meant that a lot of people were talking about episode 1. You need people to watch a show before the quality matters, after all.

Sure, people were expecting a twist between Obari and Cygames (although Obari's last series was pure Real Robot), and the aliens were a pretty expected part of it, but Bravern himself going so full tilt crazy in a setting that was otherwise grim and grounded maximized the impact in a way that wouldn't have worked so well if people had been warned in advance.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tbh even if this had been a stock real robot show i think obaris name would have gotten it way more attention thqn freaking kyoukai senki. Like obaris name is a franchise in itself, even western fans are aware of him

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Tbh even if this had been a stock real robot show i think obaris name would have gotten it way more attention thqn freaking kyoukai senki. Like obaris name is a franchise in itself, even western fans are aware of him

Obari just did a Kyoukai Senki show less than a year ago. The first episode barely got over half a million views in five months. That's worse than the least popular episode of Gundam Metaverse managed in 3.

The opening for Bravern has managed a million in half a week.

If it was just Obari as a brand, you'd think it would be series agnostic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i think a spinoff series that barely anyone knew was coming out thats attached to a franchise that already failed is gonna get less views than something thats getting big promotion as DIRECTED BY MASAMI OBARI

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Bravern has a certain kind of magic to the premise and execution that even without a licensing agreement it built significant buzz in Western fandom. The show is just that good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No idea who this Obari guy is, this show's been pretty fun tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/lovegenerator/status/1748959916503744739?t=WAaBXElE8UTWz1h-NwHSVg&s=19

Calibravern

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was rewatching the OP and I realized that with the number of robot silhouettes and the Starscream-looking guy

I think Isami is going to have to defeat Bravern's seven evil exes

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It is mysterious where Bravern comes from. Is he from the alien civilization of the Deathdrivers or from some third civilization that has evolved or constructed their own sentient robots? If he's from the Deathdrivers are there any other rebels like Bravern? If he's from a third civilization is he one of a kind or is there a whole line of super robots?

Hopefully we'll get answers to some of these questions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's got a history with Superbia who also had a pilot so even if he's not the same mechanical species as the Deathdrivers I'll bet Bravern and the other super robots share roots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

He's got a history with Superbia who also had a pilot so even if he's not the same mechanical species as the Deathdrivers I'll bet Bravern and the other super robots share roots.

Assuming, of course, that the girl Lewis met isn't actually Superbia. The bad guys might have some kind of Ultraman thing going on. Hell, maybe Bravern has a human form too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It is mysterious where Bravern comes from. Is he from the alien civilization of the Deathdrivers or from some third civilization that has evolved or constructed their own sentient robots? If he's from the Deathdrivers are there any other rebels like Bravern? If he's from a third civilization is he one of a kind or is there a whole line of super robots?

Hopefully we'll get answers to some of these questions.

He did mention that the Deathdrivers have a history much like humans. And if there's one thing humans know, it's fighting each other.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8DJY0yAeY

Her name is Lulu. Jury is still out if she'll interrupt you by screaming her name like Bravern does.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 22, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like how unsubtle this show is

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Man, if there's one thing that makes it okay to not want to get back into the robot, it's the trauma of being tortured by your own military because you got in the robot the last time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Technically he was being tortured by an (presumably CIA) American agent, not the JSDGF.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Technically he was being tortured by an (presumably CIA) American agent, not the JSDGF.

In a joint operation, though, and it didn't exactly seem like the Japanese military was going out of its way to protect him.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Waffleman_ posted:

I was rewatching the OP and I realized that with the number of robot silhouettes and the Starscream-looking guy

Seven evil ex crystal gems

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im thinking that Bravern just cant be fully utilized with someone that is similar personality wise to them. That there has to be some conflict between the pilot and mech to draw out power to it. In the second episode they were pretty in sync until Bravern randomly told them that they are going to use a different finisher attack despite it basically still being just a slash. The moment Isami reacts by getting angry and calling it stupid the power bar on the controls fills up. So if say Smith eventually gets a robot himself, it should be the polar opposite of him personality wise, a tsuntsun robot

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arc Hammer posted:

Dont know how you guys didnt recognize Dick Cheney

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real surprising thing is that Hawaiien Shirt CIA Agent man is the one narrating the 'on the next episode' thing that just got posted. Is he going to be a recurring character, torturing everyone they meet?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im thinking that Bravern just cant be fully utilized with someone that is similar personality wise to them. That there has to be some conflict between the pilot and mech to draw out power to it. In the second episode they were pretty in sync until Bravern randomly told them that they are going to use a different finisher attack despite it basically still being just a slash. The moment Isami reacts by getting angry and calling it stupid the power bar on the controls fills up. So if say Smith eventually gets a robot himself, it should be the polar opposite of him personality wise, a tsuntsun robot

My guess is that he's going to get in one of the evil robots at some point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/bangbravern/status/1748004594104623479?t=2g9Iwu38dOlCS_HLRVTwDg&s=19

His name is Bob Crave

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I like to imagine that he was told it was told it was going to be an easy posting and he planned on spending all his time on the beach. Then the show happened.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Looking forward to him figuring out how to waterboard a giant robot

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

as much as I'd like others to watch this, I'm not sure I can really recommend it to anyone I know because who's going to be into the torture scenes for the whole of ep 2?

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Given that Superbia is Latin for "Pride," it seems like they might be going for a Seven Deadly Sins thing here, in which case the others could be Luxuria (Lust), Gula (Gluttony), Avaritia (Avarice), Acedia (Sloth), Ira (Wrath), and Invidia (Envy).

I see what they did there. ボブ・クレイブ (bobu kureibu) is just a couple of kana changes away from アブ・グレイブ (abu gureibu, Abu Ghraib).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nereidum posted:

I see what they did there. ボブ・クレイブ (bobu kureibu) is just a couple of kana changes away from アブ・グレイブ (abu gureibu, Abu Ghraib).

:stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SIN0KY/status/1750137834177229260?s=20

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is the funniest show of the season.

Bravern's training montage, needing to deploy his diving mask to talk underwater, putting his name on the radar, it's so good.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Shu-ba-ba?

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

Caphi posted:

I'm gonna put down my theory now:

Bravern is, in some sense, Smith. He was made from Smith's dreams and ideals somehow, and his personality is Smith's. Maybe manifested him somehow, or got scanned, or he gets himself turned into a robot in the future and comes back. Maybe the girl and her alien technology is involved.

See, Bravern is explicitly Smith's perfect dream super robot, and he and Smith are awfully similar. The reason he can't be piloted effectively by Smith is because he'd be piloting himself. It'd be the same as just Bravern. He has to be keyed to someone else - and that person is the one Smith believes in the most.

There's no contradiction in the ending theme at all. It's not a love triangle. Smith trusts Isami and Isami trusts Smith, he just doesn't know he is putting himself inside Smith. And Bravern may not even know why he's all about Isami, but it would all make sense if he got it from Smith.

Something in episode 3 makes me think you might be on to something here. How does Bravern know about The Abyss, and why did he use that as a reference to explain "filling the cockpit with breathable liquid" when, say, Evangelion does that too? Well, the average American is probably a lot more likely to have encountered the concept from the former than the latter.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
would have to censor E*a

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I laughed more than I should have at at the couple in the motel.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I like how Smith's shorts look like a face.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
finished episode 3
may Smith and Lulu have a growing relationship as Isami and Bravern

with everyone throwing out random crazy theories, is it just for fun, or is it something the writer has a habit of doing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don’t know anything about Keigo Koyanagi as a writer but as a director Masami Obari is one of the most "extra" people in the industry. When he's involved in a leading role nothing's off the table, imo.

It's like they're daring people to make edits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 26, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the commander was on the line the whole time ahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Who's this girl trying to steal Isami's man!

... wait, Isami's man is Bravern.

Who's this girl trying to steal Isami's side piece!!!