Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Too realistic how the Americans immediately arrested Isami and tortured him. I know this is gritty war drama meets super robot but there are lines that are uncomfortable to cross.

Otherwise good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm assuming the obvious alien woman is the one in the op and she's related to whatever upgrade Smith gets because we can't have a rivalry where one has a super robot and the other has a completely ineffectual real robot.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Bravern has a certain kind of magic to the premise and execution that even without a licensing agreement it built significant buzz in Western fandom. The show is just that good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It is mysterious where Bravern comes from. Is he from the alien civilization of the Deathdrivers or from some third civilization that has evolved or constructed their own sentient robots? If he's from the Deathdrivers are there any other rebels like Bravern? If he's from a third civilization is he one of a kind or is there a whole line of super robots?

Hopefully we'll get answers to some of these questions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It would make his references make sense if he's been watching satellite TV for the past twenty years or so on his way to Earth. It doesn't explain how he claims to know Isami though so as a theory it's got holes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's like a switch went off in her head, is uncanny.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not just a graphic, his entire IFF protocol is compatible with US hardware, somehow, because they can identify him as Bravern as soon as he enters range. That's some fancy hardware he's packing because our IFF protocol is encrypted.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It would be fantastic if Lulu can't talk normally, fantastically funny if she continues to talk like a goddamn Pokemon.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bravern already described having Isami in his cockpit to be analogous to sex, so somebody is loving the robot.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Fargle posted:

Needs more cum.

For robots cum is laser blasts.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I just don't know. It looks Lulu centric so there's that but some of the other scenes are kinda way out in left field. I'm sure it'll make sense on Thursday.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course heroes drink for free.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Drinking that much water would kill you though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They'll have to move her through a simple ready to digest diet before she can tackle something like curry again. Also RoboCop ate a nutrient slurry, not baby food. If anything his food was less complex than what we feed to babies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

this giant robot show has more groins grinding together than I expected

Edit for seriouspost, Gundam and other giant robot shows in that vein have always had dedicated female audiences and those audiences want to see two hot guys making out. It's why Gundam Wing did such insane numbers, there was lots of subtext to hang shipping and doujins off of. The modern female viewer prefers more text to subtext.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 9, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GateOfD posted:

I hope when they beat the one in Japan, and it blows up, a red Lulu crash lands somewhere and imprints herself on Smith as well.

And this repeats for every next big boss as they free each continent till Smith has a harem of 7 Lulus just following him around.

This. Would. Be. The. Funniest. loving. Thing. Ever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay that is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

trucutru posted:

Do not try to make sense out of Japanese onomatopoeia. They have dozens/hundreds of agreed-upon sounds for stuff that does not produce a sound.

Yes, this is especially common amongst things that have mascots, they all have cutesy onomatopoeia for the sound a toaster makes, or a penguin, or a train, or a bunch of other loving crazy things like jellyfish and alien invaders.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Give the robot back his Lulu, it's only fair. Unless she doesn't want to go back, that's different.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Adnor posted:

Miyu is absolutely right.

Sugita has a hot voice.

Miyu is always correct.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it makes sense when run through a robot filter. I just think it's hilarious that Lulu runs around going beep boop all over the place.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So do the robots just use humans as living SP batteries or what, because Lulu clearly wasn't aware in her time in Superbia or she'd A know who Bravern is and B be scared of him. Since neither of these is true we have to assume the human passengers on the Deathdrivers serves some kind of mascot or other unknowable morale function, perhaps parallel processing or supporting a soul or something.

I'm thinking this Superbia is a backup which is why it doesn't remember Bravern either, or the handy trouncing it received at his hands.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love how Bravern has projectors on his back to add explosions or giant logos or really just whatever he thinks the scene needs to really pop. He doesn't use them every scene but when he does it's magical.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This episode had it all, anticlimactic battles, waterboarding, super robots, homoeroticism.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How's the build quality on moderoid anyway, I've never built one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was just weird that the bad guy wanted to die, but it had to be in a specific way.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm sure Bravern heard about it from legitimate gossip channels. He probably sets aside part of his day to socialize between building scale models.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fangz posted:

I'm sure wikipedia is just full of poo poo.

You can't trust wikipedia on an ongoing series because nobody pays attention to the pages who gives a drat about accuracy. Where's the source.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the plot was crazy, definitely subject to we've only got four episodes left syndrome.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

so that tower worked like some kind of backup for the robots? why that one in particular, feels like running out of episodes itis again

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Arc Hammer posted:

The big one in space was the mothership tha the smaller towers dropped from in episode 1, Independence Day style. If the towers are a backup for the deathdrives perhaps the mothersbip was a backup for the towers.

Okay that makes sense, I had forgotten some of the details in the weeks following the premier.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Arc Hammer posted:

Something I noticed this episode is that the explosions and the smoke animation looked really, really good.

When one of your bad guys is a smoke monster and the other one shits explosions you better bring your A game. They overused some animation but it was good animation so I don't mind.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Burn Bravern what an incredible series of reveals. I love this show.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The 3d printer he uses can print weapons and apparently armor pieces, yeah. He printed up the axe he uses too.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was attached to Bravern I thought, but I could be wrong.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Fargle posted:

Isami is not at all appreciative enough of his very large boyfriend.

To be fair, he is lying about who he is to Isami. Although also to be fair Smith's true self is Bravern.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There might have been timey wimey concerns with Smith and Bravern coming into close contact.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bravern so good, unlike other shows that appear to go off the rails everything is planned, the story is fully plotted out from day one. If this is wrong that's the craziest thing I've ever heard since we're still getting payoffs from the OP as of this episode.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was fun and a great way to end the season. I'll miss Bravern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That title doesn't fit with the PV at all, if I had been paying attention back then I would have been suspicious. Just suspicious though, not in any way able to predict what the show actually was.