Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Bang Brave Bang Bravern is an original mecha anime directed by Masami Ōbari and produced at CygamesPictures. Inheriting the title of the classic Brave series of robot shows but taking it into a new tonal direction, Bravern sets itself up as a Hollywood-inspired war drama centered on the rivalry between exuberant american mech pilot Lewis Smith and ice-cool japanese mech pilot Isami Ao, highlighting the human cost and psychological strain of war against an unknown enemy. Then something something they are now in a gay love triangle with a giant alien robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkg_03wzNKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRO9Hk5ACs

Bravern is wild. It's the surprise of the season to me. The 1st 2 episodes thus far released are an absolute ride, and it looks to have a lot to offer for people who are fans of mecha, grand operatic BL, and/or things that are just generally a bit tonally unhinged. Also, I think the girls are cute. Very excited to see where it's going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
For all the fun madcap stuff I'm glad the show takes the time to make the more earnest and serious scenes land too. I liked the little exchange between the Lt. Colonel and the Sgt. Major. But also everyone at the base fussing over Lulu was great

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
yeah lol congrats Caphi for calling this one after episode 2

it did cash out in a fantastic combination sequence (loved Isami reading his lines off a karaoke prompt is great) so I'm happy about this turn of events

also, Lulu is the best

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I agree but at the same time younger people in Japan (and a lot of other Asian countries) often call middle aged men “Uncle”. I’ve often been called that while over there. So I don’t think it was a deliberate incest thing, although, yeah. Ugh.
There's some nuance here, in japanese "ojiisan" is a generic term of address for older men that typically gets translated to "uncle", but Lulu specifically uses "ojiisama" which adds an extra level of reverence that would probably be odd to show a stranger and is usually used as a term of respect for one's grandfather specifically. So she's treating him as Some Old Guy but also as someone to be respected like one's own family, which in practice winds up adding an extra layer of gonzo to the situation

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Show stayed true to itself all the way through the end, a big gay fun nonsense ride. I don't think I'm going to be thinking about it a lot going forward but it was a great experience week to week

But yeah, I would have liked it to be twice the length. I know the days of brave robot shows getting 50 eps by default are long behind us, and the mile-a-minute pace is certainly part of its madcap appeal, but it's hard for me to not dream of a version of the show where we actually travel with the sunrise to fight robots around the world, giving us a bit more time to organically develop the relationships and space to give to the side cast. If there's one thing I'm disproportionally annoyed about it's that Akira and Sherry had really cool character designs but then didn't get to like, do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Captain Fargle posted:

Actually letting your gay couple embrace and be a couple. Maybe have any kind of acknowledgement at all of their relationship in your finale instead of just having things carry on like he didn't just declare his love the last time they were alone together?
But... They are a couple. The show takes great pains to make clear that's what the pilot-pilotee relationship means, it's like the text of the show. If you want to see some smooching men animated and are disappointed you didn't get that here that's cool but it's not a case of lacking acknowledgement by any means