Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

this show is incredible and whoever wrote the synopsis on CR and did the tags on MAL deserves some kind of award for hiding it

Cygames hid it right up until the premiere. Worked, too, since it made the OP sell like crazy on Japanese Amazon and got the show trending on twitter, when a version of the show that admitted things up front would probably have faded into the background like Synduality or Kyoukai Senki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Except these sucked

Hiding the premise made a good thing great. I went in thinking it was going to be another kyoukai senki but a bit more hopeful for at least cool robot stuff from obari.
Hopefully it continues on this trajectory.

Kyoukai Senki sucked. Synduality is alright. Good gags, fun cast, well choreographed action, interesting setting details. Not something I'd grab someone by the throat to insist they watch, but something I'm glad to see weekly.

But quality isn't the focus here. (and if you wanted I could have thrown out a bunch of other Super and Real robot shows lately, like Back Arrow, Bullbuster, Garanndoll, Megaton Musashii, Granbelm...) The focus is how little prominence most of the non-franchise mech shows lately have had. Even with a big marketing push and lots of merch, they tend to just be ignored and forgotten pretty quick.

Meanwhile, the gimmick here of emphasizing in interviews that this is Obari doing a Grounded, Serious mecha show before bringing in Bravern and his utter insanity meant that a lot of people were talking about episode 1. You need people to watch a show before the quality matters, after all.

Sure, people were expecting a twist between Obari and Cygames (although Obari's last series was pure Real Robot), and the aliens were a pretty expected part of it, but Bravern himself going so full tilt crazy in a setting that was otherwise grim and grounded maximized the impact in a way that wouldn't have worked so well if people had been warned in advance.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Tbh even if this had been a stock real robot show i think obaris name would have gotten it way more attention thqn freaking kyoukai senki. Like obaris name is a franchise in itself, even western fans are aware of him

Obari just did a Kyoukai Senki show less than a year ago. The first episode barely got over half a million views in five months. That's worse than the least popular episode of Gundam Metaverse managed in 3.

The opening for Bravern has managed a million in half a week.

If it was just Obari as a brand, you'd think it would be series agnostic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It is mysterious where Bravern comes from. Is he from the alien civilization of the Deathdrivers or from some third civilization that has evolved or constructed their own sentient robots? If he's from the Deathdrivers are there any other rebels like Bravern? If he's from a third civilization is he one of a kind or is there a whole line of super robots?

Hopefully we'll get answers to some of these questions.

He did mention that the Deathdrivers have a history much like humans. And if there's one thing humans know, it's fighting each other.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Oh god I just realized that The Abyss is contemporaneous with both the original run of Brave shows and what inspired it. Holy poo poo Bravern might just actually be a huge nerd for Earth Culture, just not to the extent of the aliens in Galaxy Quest.

We'll only know for sure if he calls for a rescue mission to Gilligan's Island.

Those poor people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slyphic posted:

I missed it in the moment, but Hibiki goes from aghast surprise to just pleasantly happy. "You're into this?! ... A'ight, we're both into this."

It looks more like a general purpose "Alright, good for you..." smile to me, rather than outright agreement. It's the eyebrows. They look more befuddled than enthusiastic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Wait til you find out how the Japanese language represents dog sounds.

Wan! (Of course, thinking of the Eva gag there also makes me remember the classic talking dog joke.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speak all languages at once actually.

With appropriate accents!

I really like how varied everyone's response to Bravern has been, too. The boss is just kind of tired of his bullshit, Isami is going insane, and the grunts are often "Hell yes, we're the heroes, this crazy bullshit is motivational!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

ok finished it and what a great show. I'll happily play whichever SRW this debuts in. so many amazing cut ins

bravery and courage truly conquer all

It premiered in the mobile game. So, that might be trickier.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Alternate earths include alternate japans, and a bunch of people (usually from DLC) came from alternate earths in 30, and I seem to remember something of the sort in T.

T doesn't have a second Japan in the base game. It just has alien planets and an isekai setting. However, some bonus missions and the paid DLC cross over with X and V, which are alternate worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

That title doesn't fit with the PV at all, if I had been paying attention back then I would have been suspicious. Just suspicious though, not in any way able to predict what the show actually was.

A lot of people were suspicious, especially with the number of Cygames anime that had a big twist in episode 1, but the exact nature of that twist was still being debated until episode 1.