Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

rotinaj posted:

If Vince is threatening to defend himself vigorously, that implies there might be a whole trial about this

I know it wouldn’t be a criminal trial, because no criminal charges have been filed, but if Vince actually tried to defend himself vigorously… There would be a period of Discovery, right?

:getin:

1: Everyone denies all the charges immediately. No one ever says "Yes I am guilty as sin" and if they did I'd question their sanity and/or legal representation.

That being said, saying you'll fight in public and looking for a settlement in private are two side of te same coin.

2: What could be found in Discovery that could be worse than what's already been made public? Note: this is not a creative writing challenge for the thread.

3: It's in her best interest to take a settlement as well. You don't let fights go to the judges, you don't let lawsuits go to the jury, because you never know what someone else sees and thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

cagliostr0 posted:

If I'm remembering correctly this is being filed in California. Currently the suit is only allegations from one party against another and will probably remain that way until there is a settlement or discovery happens. During discovery if something like what happened during the quattrone discovery occurs then it will dramatically and negatively affect the verdict of the jury which recommend the financial penalties in cases like this.

With how fast and loose Vince was with his abuse it's basically guaranteed that somewhere in the wwe/tko files that have to be maintained for sec reasons there is at least one quattrone level incriminating communication that matches one in the complaint. I'm sure you can imagine the level of chickens with their heads cut off scrambling happening right now trying to figure out exactly how exposed the company is to Vince's actions and how large a settlement they need to offer to prevent discovery.

Regardless, this settlement will be large enough that they will have to report it in their financials which will then be a causus belli for shareholder suits that will also need to be settled because if the evidence is there that executives and the board knew but turned a blind eye or helped conceal it then it's a clear failure of fiduciary duty and probably securities fraud.

So given today's events, it's clear that TKO is wanting to settle as quickly as possible and get their name out of the headlines. Assuming that the victim is also willing to settle, what's the dollar amount that would trigger having to report the settlement in their figures and risk the shareholder suit? I could see the victim wanting to be done with all of this, but shareholders are only going to rival goons in wanting their pound of flesh.

Also, how does filing in CT vs. CA affect what you had previously stated?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Cameo posted:

It does make the tendency of WWE to push its women towards plastic surgery, particularly breast augmentation, even more alarming.

Mickie James being told "what do the girls on the main roster have that she doesn't".

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Truther Vandross posted:

Honestly didn’t expect Laurinaitis to sing like a bird but boy is this reallllllll bad for Vince.

It's not a huge surprise. I can't imagine he's worth more than a couple million at the very most and had no real future prospects before this. Any kind of defense and/or settlement would run the risk of bankrupting him. His only real options were to hope that Vince took care of his legal fees or make it clear that he's willing to flip and name names on camera and/or under oath. That Laurinitis' lawyer made such a public statement means the former hasn't happened, at least yet.

Laurinitis and WWE have every interest in settling as quickly and quietly as possible and pointing the fingers at Vince and Vince alone. I know goons are standing outside Titan Towers with cans of gas and handfuls of matches but it wouldn't surprise me if all this led to a handful of quiet resignations and retirements that were most likely planned on post merger and TV deal. It may reduce some golden parachutes but they'll still deploy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Porrima posted:

Using nuclear warfare on these people might be seen as disproportionate, but is probably fine

That domino meme but it starts with "person trying to help neighbor find a job" and ending with "WW3".

No self-respecting lawyer is going to come out in public and say "Yes we want to settle as hard as humanly possible. I will literally piss myself if put in front of a jury." You put on the most aggressive public face possible and then discuss terms behind the scenes.

Laurianitis and WWE settlements are 99.9% guaranteed. Vince is the wild card because Vince is always the wild card and as the main figure of this lawsuit it depends what Grant's acceptable endgame is.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think settlements are guaranteed. Janel Grant got a million dollars from the NDA, she isn't going to be desperate for money. The gap between settlement offers and what a jury might give her is absolutely giant, along with the opportunity to expose the company to the best of her ability.

A jury might give her more, they might not. It's what I said earlier; you don't let fights go to the judges, you don't let lawsuits go to the juries, because you never know what someone else might see and think.

There's also a limited window in which Grant has the most leverage. She's dropped her lawsuit at the perfect time: right after the new media deals were announced and it's publicly known that the company is going to have billions coming in, as well as the lead-up to Wrestlemania which is the WWE's biggest event of the year. WWE wants their PR to be their media deals and all the money that's coming in, the biggest movie star in the world is joining their board and LOOK!, he's facing their champ in the main event of Wrestlemania, things are so great please buy TKO stock. Instead it's this lawsuit and the notable and measurable backlash to the Rock/Roman setup. WWE very much wants this lawsuit to go away so they're not answering questions about who knew what about Vince during the leadup to Wrestlemania.

As people have mentioned, there's only so much you're going to get out of Ace (I'm tired of butchering spelling Laurinitis) financially; his value is his willingness to go under oath on camera/in front of a jury and coaberate any accusations towards Vince. I'll walk back the percentage on Ace because Vince might buy Ace's silence, but that hasn't happened yet. WWE very much wants to establish that WWE =/= Vince and claim he's responsible for all of what's accused please don't go looking any deeper. After Wrestlemania the PR hit is still bad but it's not as bad as it is during the leadup. Assuming Grant has competent council, and I've seen nothing to prove the contrary, her lawyer should get in front of every mainstream camera and microphone that will have her and put the screws in as far as possible while you have WWE over a barrel.

In terms of exposing the company, that's dependent on Grant's willingness to go through with a trial and everything that entails. Her lawyer will absolutely say that they're willing to, but their actual willingness is part of the strategy between the two of them. Figure out your three numbers: what you want, what your basement number is, and what your opening offer is, and go from there.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

There’s also the possibility here that Mcmcagon gets convicted and then pardoned if Trump wins and then everything goes back to normal.

How can we prevent that?

This is civil, not criminal. There's nothing to pardon.

MassRafTer posted:

If she was looking to maximize her leverage she wouldn't have filed when she did. She would have filed a year ago when Vince returned, right after the TKO sale reports, right before the sale went through or two months ago when reports the Raw TV deal negotiations were heating up. Those were all times the company would have every reason to settle and settle quickly. They have a lot less reason to now. The only deal they have to worry about in the near future is airing three months of Raw. They have a couple of years until the Peacock deal is up. They can feel safe with their old strategy of trying to bleed people dry. The later the revelations come the more time they've put between themselves and Vince and the easier it will be to absorb.

This doesn't mean WWE doesn't want to settle, but they have less reason to blow her away with a settlement, and given some of the judgments that have been handed down in recent years I think her number will be a lot higher than their number. This doesn't mean she won't settle, but I don't think that is her primary aim.

Do we know when Grant connected with Callis? I haven't heard or read everything that pertains to this case, but we know the NDA was signed in early 2022 and the last text from Vince to Grant was in March. Vince retired in July and then returned in early 2023 for the sale to Endeavor before the TV negotiations. Adding in due diligence on the part of Callis in taking this case, there may not have been time to have filed the lawsuit before the sale or all of the neogitations.

WWE's motivation to settle is to fully divorce themselves from Vince. Before, when WWE = Vince, they would have defended themselves one in the same. Now, you have a corporate entity that wants nothing more than to be rid of it's old owner, that they had acknowledged as a potential liability in matters like this. We also don't know how much more bad PR is going to come from this but journalists are digging and people who wouldn't have said anything in public before are starting to speak up. WWE gains nothing from continuing to tie themselves to Vince and everything to gain by throwing Vince under the bus and insisting that everything is all good now that he's gone.

I'm sure the numbers are far, far apart, but that's negotiating settlements for you. The more Callis can get in front of the mainstream news media and the more bad PR that comes out against WWE in the leadup to Wrestlemania, the more likely that final number moves towards Grant's.

C. Everett Koop fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 5, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

davidbix posted:

He's under federal investigation for sex trafficking, as well. WSJ and NBC reported it on Friday. Hence the talk of convictions and pardons.

Right but we've got several milestones that need to be hit before even considering such a thing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

cagliostr0 posted:

The real problem for wwe is if they settle for the sort of number high enough to make Grant go away then it and the details surrounding it will have to be explained in the next 10-k. That plus the SEC rules about whistleblowers and NDAs and what the accepted interpretation of them is means it would be open season for anyone who got a nda payout from Vince for being a sex criminal would also be able to rattle the cage for more money. Then those would show up in the 10-k as well.

This sort of behaviour being known and tolerated at board level which it prima facie was due to the person doing it being the chairman is all sorts of securities law violations. So essentially TKO is backed into the corner of figuring out how much incriminating information was known by executives and board members and how much of it got written down and if it's possible to win against Grant in court given that information.

The only way out of not getting obliterated by shareholders and the sec for running a rape dungeon with a side business producing sports entertainment is to win against Grant without anything being found in discovery that might be grounds for misleading shareholders. That more or less means getting the case tossed before discovery given what's already in the wild information wise and if SDNY drops criminal charges before the judge considers if the case has merit to proceed then it's more or less nailed on to get to discovery.

Also remember this is a famously Trump supporting fucko being brought to court in a blue state who last time they got a bite at a famously Trump supporting fucko expelled to the financial shadow realm.

Actually there is the one other comedy option for tko avoiding the sec and shareholders and that's if the supreme Court finds federal regulatory agencies are unconstitutional which is on the docket currently as a possibility.

That third paragraph is why I've been saying that WWE are very eager to settle and put all of the blame on Vince. The longer it goes, the worse the potential payback is going to be.

IANAL but we desperately need one in this thread to cast reality on some of the more wild speculations we have. I had a thought that WWE could potentially sue Vince themselves depending on how bad this gets but I don't know if that's actually possible or not.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

99% of the time the WSJ is garbage but every so often they nail a story on corporate malfeasance.

Especially if someone trying to pull a power play drops a juicy one into their lap.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

What interests me with the Rock situation is that it's reminiscent of what was happening before Vince went away the first time. Nick Khan was taking control and was making decisions based on cold business. Cold business that does not care about wrestling logic. It works in a way that Triple H, Tony Khan, and usually even Vince don't. It doesn't care if they're releasing a wrestler who is advertised for the next night's show. They don't care what storylines need to be wrapped up, even abruptly. They don't care how high up the card Braun Strowman is. It's the kind of logic that gave us the Radicalz. Hell, Nick Khan probably would have told Ultimate Warrior to go home before Summerslam 91. He wouldn't have cared if Jeff Jarrett still had the Intercontinental Championship without a contract.

Triple H survived that kind of thing (even in the sense that it almost literally killed him) and almost came out completely on top by outlasting Vince. But now the same kind of situation is screwing with him, only instead of Nick Khan working alongside a crazy person who at least considers Triple H family, he's dealing with someone sane who probably doesn't think highly of Triple H on a personal level. And he's on a board of people based on this cold business logic.

With his probable ties to Vince looming and what seems to be a struggle with the Rock and friends, Triple H is in danger of seriously eating poo poo, which is pretty funny when you realize that WrestleMania 40 was pretty much going to be his moment of glory.

I'm used to being wrong on these things, but I find it difficult to believe that Triple H will survive until the end of the year, or maybe past these next few months:

1: The lawsuit, in which he wasn't directly named but was heavily implied to be Corporate Officer #1. If this lawsuit or any of the legal investigations go into Discovery, he'll 100% be under oath and having to say what he knows. The terrible response to the lawsuit question from the Rumble presser has done him no favors and either WWE PR did a poo poo job of preparing him or Triple H didn't take the matter seriously enough, and neither reason is a particuarly good one.

2: If Endeavor really does want to wash away any McMahon stink from the WWE and effectively start anew, target number one of their list is going to be Vince's son-in-law and the last McMahon-related person still actively involved with the WWE.

3: The Rock's much heralded return to the company and the positioning as public face. The Rock has a past and positive relationship with Nick Kahn and has installed his personal writer on the writing team, meaning there's a natural successor to take over as head booker in case Endeavor goes through with point two above. I fully believe that Triple H is behind the recent leaks of Rock wanting to win the belt at Wrestlemania; Triple H is in desperate need of positive PR and to change the narrative, but he's playing a locker room messaging game while Rock/WWE are playing a board room messaging game. Triple H isn't going to win this battle; he might do some damage to the Rock's PR but Rock's going to win this war.

Two other things I'll note is that WWE wanted to run Rock vs Roman for years, it was rumored for Wrestlemania's in Miami and LA. Regardless of Triple H's personal feelings on the matter I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be in favor of that match under the whole "best for business" motiff that they loved so much. I also have no idea what might happen to Shawn Michaels; he might be elevated from NXT booker to WWE booker, he might get swept up in any changes as Vince-semi adjacent/personal beef with Rock, he might keep his NXT kingdom. Anything could happen in that situation.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ive been trying to get jim valley to join for years to no avail

has the man not suffered enough

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

super macho dude posted:

Putting them on a looping number station using the AI robo Jim Ross voice, stay tuned for further instructions

true crime fans trying to figure out what "my rear end" on repeat is referring to

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with Cena but Bryan's said in one of the interviews with Renee that he had literal suicide ideation during the filming of Total Divas

Shard posted:

jesus did he say why specifically?

flashy_mcflash posted:

filming of Total Divas

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
wwe female wrestler: doc i missed my period

amman: hands her a z-pac

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It won't be earth-shattering, in the same way that people still think fondly of OJ as a running back and actor first and foremost.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Do you think Vince pooped on JR?

I bet that at some point Vince has also pooped on JR.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Here's the full story:

https://www.postwrestling.com/2024/...awyer-responds/

Notable that Vince's lawyers are claiming that writing 24 drafts of a love letter is proof it's a real love letter and not coerced. Going to have to disagree with that analysis.

Tearing up love letter drafts like it's a Raw script hours before airtime.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

little munchkin posted:

Crazy to think that a man who fills an 80 year old man up with steroids for a living might be of poor moral character.

Doing some real damage to the intellectual reputation of the celebrity personal training profession.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

What a good guy.

In lieu of a jail sentence, Vince should have to raise a bunch of cats. The man who's an absolute control freak through and through having to deal with a creature that doesn't not give a single solitary gently caress about what you think and will do what it wants when it wants.

One of those fates worse than death, I'd imagine.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

No, the Presidential pardon only applies to federal crimes. Trump could stop the criminal investigation or pardon Vince if he's found guilty, but can't stop a civil suit.

Trump could only stop federal charges against Vince as well, not local/state.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Actually, while Vince's case is very bad, that's probably not the correct inference to draw from this particular motion.

I am a lawyer, and I have had to deal with AAA, the arbitrator of choice in the NDA, and basically, given the nature of this suit, Vince's attorneys have every reason to want to get this case to arbitration for a variety of reasons, but the most pressing, and prosaic, is that once it goes to arbitration, any further motions or pleadings will no longer go on the public docket for people on the internet to scroll through at their leisure.

Given the nature of the case, even if Vince were innocent, which he is not, his lawyers would want to get it the hell away from the public as much as possible, and arbitration is how you do that.

It's also a motion that Grant's lawyers are going to have to spend time and money dealing with.

Also, Vince's lawyers have an obligation to explore every avenue possible in their client's defense. To not try and use such an avenue, unless directed by their client not to do so, would be a dereliction of their duty.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jackie D posted:

There's been rumors about Callis as well, I thought that was suspected to be part of him leaving Impact?

Both times IIRC. Don't treat this as fact, but he got ran out of TNA/wrestling in general due to odd behavior towards the women. Once he came back due to Omega/Lance Storm and had a position in Impact, his behavior towards Scarlet led to her and Killer Kross wanting out and threatening to sue Anthem. Brian Last had made a big deal of "knowing the facts" but I have no clue if he's gone public with any of it so take it with as much salt as you would like.

Someone could probably do a better job of confirming/denying both of those, I'm more solid with the latter than the former.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Given Gable Steveson and Drew Gulak were released in the past few days, along with that COO getting got, there definitely feels like some house-cleaning being done on the WWE side of getting rid of anyone with any stench on them.

I also think it's worth noting that while Laurinatis signed onto Vince's arbitration statement, radio silence from the WWE side. IANAL and most likely none of us are, but I do think that shows that the two sides are not working together and WWE's going to be looking to settle their way out of this ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Smasher Dynamo posted:

To be clear, the below is not trying to justify anyone's actions, but to explain their likely motivations.

As a general rule, I wouldn't try to divine a party's willingness, or unwillingness for that matter, to settle based on the public filings. WWE is caught in a situation where any move they make is going to remind the public that they're a party to this lawsuit, which they've spent quite a bit of effort trying to avoid over the past few months.

They're also in a different position from Vince or Laurinaitis. Vince, and to a lesser extent Laurinaitis (since the latter's career is most likely over no matter what happens), need some sort of public vindication if they ever want to do anything public-facing again in their lives. WWE, on the other hand, is not facing the same level of existential threat but, at the same time, are also under the pressure of needing to keep as much of a lid on this matter as possible, given that they're still operating as an ongoing concern.

To that point, any settlement they would make, because it's likely to be quite substantial, is something they're going to disclose to their shareholders in some form or another.

Finally, WWE wants to settle insofar as they want this case to go away, but if they settle, but Vince doesn't, then settling doesn't do them any good, since, at the end of the day, they're a party to this lawsuit because the employees of WWE were complicit to varying degrees, and they can only distance themselves from Vince to a degree, not entirely.

I think we're in agreement for the most part. Laurinaitis is a minnow caught up with two whales, there's very little money you can get out of him now and almost none you're going to be able to get out of him in the future because he has no future prospects. His only value to Grant was flipping on Vince and his only value to Vince would be shutting the gently caress up; the SOS he threw out a few months ago seems to have been received by Vince given the latest public statements but who knows what's actually been discussed behind closed doors.

I think we also agree that WWE is very interested in settling and has zero interest in this ever seeing the inside of a courtroom. Vince is different but trying to decipher if he'll want to settle or fight is probably a fool's errand. As you mentioned the amount that WWE will have to pay is going to be disclosed to shareholders, I know settlement terms often aren't announced but if it's going to have to be disclosed then there's probably a chance that it'll end up public one way or another, and if that's the case then it'll set a bar for what to expect from Vince's side going forward. By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Your last paragraph is where we slightly differ. WWE wants to make a big show of being able to say to any investors and sponsors that they are fully separated from Vince McMahon. (To which there's the obvious retort of why they still employ his son-in-law in a high functioning capacity and just had his daughter front and center in their most public event, but a company talking out of both sides of their mouth is par for the course.) Being able to settle and publicly throw Vince under the bus and put all of the blame on him is going to be of utmost importance; under no circumstances do they want to be at the same defendant's table as him. In reality they probably won't be able to have their reputation fully independent of Vince's until either he's dead or all of his relatives and foot soldiers are gone from the company, but that's what happens when someone is front and center for half a century.

In terms of motivations, if you're on Grant's side do you negotiate with WWE and Vince together as one entity, or do you separate them knowing the WWE side will want to settle whereas Vince may not? What's the value in either of those two tactics? I think the arbitration argument is going to fail so what kind of time table does that put us on?

Finally, how's the baseball doing? It's got to have been more than a decade since the Sonics took part and my posts are long gone to the archive, I can't believe you've kept it going this long. This ain't the place for such chat but I'm just curious.