Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Lmao - Sub simply cannot stop posting absolute heat in this thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok time to sit down and watch some kino

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Third Man

Hell, sometimes the classics live up to their reputation. hadn't seen this besides some of the most referenced scenes and i'm glad that i finally did. i'm sure i can't say anything clever about this film that hasn't already been said, so i'll just say what I enjoyed, probably amateurishly:

one thing i like about Joseph Cotten as a noir protagonist is that he has this charming awkwardness that people like Bogie and Mitchum don't have, but then his characters get angry and he brings the same kind of quiet fury that they do. a lot of the typical noir techniques are used (light is one of the biggest ones, obviously). they often tilt the camera to demonstrate power one character has over another. a lot of filming through doors and windows and alleyways to frame people, with actors who know how to position themselves and move for those kinds of shots. it doesn't lean too heavily on the close-ups-with-catch-lights, but it totally earns it when it uses them.

the framing does an incredible job of making everything feel either like a huge, intimidating, wide open space or a claustrophobic trap (often switching from second to second) but it also does more than that. it's impressive how much each of the external shots looks its own set. almost every scene makes an impressive photo, basically. the pleasant, bouncy incidental music isn't what i'm used to for this kind of movie and I think it was a vaguely horrifying juxtaposition, in a good way. i'm used to Hays Code movies from this time so seeing a woman only wearing pasties took me by surprise, lol.

i dunno, I could write about it forever, but really, what is there to say besides that this is a classic for a reason? orson welles is orson loving welles. it's Graham Greene writing in his comfort zone. it's well acted, well filmed, and well directed. what's not to love?

in case anyone is interested in the "1001 movies to watch before you die," here's a spreadsheet i borrowed and tweaked a lot. it has a lot more than 1001 because it takes the movies from every version of the book into account, so the list has grown. i created in 2019 so there's another tab that has movies that have been added since then. it has a tracker at the bottom if you want to make a copy and mark off the movies you've seen to get a percentage, if that's all you're interested in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z4zbk8GnevUpzlAhEDYK0FercZF8sc2J/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=113669165833002806532&rtpof=true&sd=true

there's no perfect list for movies, obviously. everyone has personal tastes and it's hard to balance between stuff like popular opinion, critical consensus, cult classics, covering every era and genre, addressing people psychotic enough to enjoy Dirty Duck, etc. etc., but i've found the 1001 list to be pretty good.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

no bad boy bubby? list is incomplete

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

no bad boy bubby? list is incomplete

alright, fine. if you watch Parenthood, i'll watch this and also post about whatever nightmares it inevitably gives me, from reading the descriptions of it.

you can all thank me that i didn't post anything about my Dirty Duck dreams. my wife is worried about me.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

alright, fine. if you watch Parenthood, i'll watch this and also post about whatever nightmares it inevitably gives me, from reading the descriptions of it.

you can all thank me that i didn't post anything about my Dirty Duck dreams. my wife is worried about me.

Start a movie dream thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Third man rocked great pick

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Start a movie dream thread

absolutely do that

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

sure, i just got back from 2 months of travelling so i actually can watch movies again lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the third man

god what a movie. absolutely fantastic, even better on a second watch. holly coming in and tryin to get drunk and gary cooper his way into solving the crime is incredible and knowin exactly how much more complicated and european things are and exactly how far out of his depth he is honestly makes it better. everyone knows everything except him and all he does is get drunk and ruin anna's life ( th police might not have been able to find her without him and because of that she's done in vienna and probably gets to be stolen by the russians and freeze to death on a potato farm somewhere). the scenes everyone knows are fantastic obviously, but theres so many other little scenes that are incredible. payne being so happy to recognize holly before and after he punches holly in the face, th talk holly gives to that ridiculous club (lmfao at the reaction to zane gray, the entire prologue, just so many incredible things. the music is incredible, the cinematography is incredible, the use of postwar vienna is just jawdropping. incredible characters too, its unreal how much orson welles owns the movie even though he's only in it for maybe fifteen minutes. absolutely perfect flick in so many ways, always an incredible joy to watch it.

one other little thing i absolutely love about it, it wouldnt take much for the movie to be terrible. have anna fall for holly or even accept her ticket out of vienna, have calloway be even slightly evil, have lime be even slightly good or repentant, all of that would just kill the movie dead. instead its absolutely perfect, one of th best noir movies ever.

★★★★

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah, I hadn't even considered that taking a Chandler detective type and taking him totally out of his element makes it that much cooler when he does his thing, lol. like the whole thing about hard boiled is that they kind of lunkheadedly stumble their way into solutions purely by refusing to engage in any kind of hypocrisy or compromise.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
the third man

pretty good, everything lit properly and the shadows draped over the actors and the scenery is as much a character as any other in the film, its a really neat looking movie

the music is great, i like the ambience of it at times, foreboding, then suddenly giving way to a jaunty tune as a german balloon seller pops up instead of the expected criminal

i didnt see the twist coming at all, so i have to give the film props for being pretty well written too

the only complaint i had throughout the entire movie was how dumb holly martins could be, but ultimately it became endearing to me

but what sparked that was when he told a bunch of strangers who had ties to the "car accident" his informant, the german neighbor of harry lime, and put the poor guys life in danger, you NEVER identify your informants!!!

even if you arent a detective and youre just some dime store short story writer, that was so insanely boneheaded it actually kind of made me a little mad at him and he almost lost all the goodwill his performance had given

but then later scenes of him being an even bigger drunken well-intentioned buffoon sort of won me over again, i just had to admit to myself the guy is a pretty flawed character but that did make him compelling

i dug this film a lot, its definitely a slow burn but i can like these kinds of movies where little things slowly build up into a crescendo of action and intrigue, and blissfully there is enough mystery with hollys bumbling private investigation to keep the film afloat in the meantime

ill give this film a 9.5/10, thanks to sub-actuality i had a decent laugh near the 3/4ths mark too

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

starbarry clock posted:

the third man

pretty good

thanks for your review.

does anyone have a good solution for covering a hole in the wall when you're out of spackling?

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Bicyclops posted:

thanks for your review.

does anyone have a good solution for covering a hole in the wall when you're out of spackling?

why dont you just use your experience in mens bathrooms to answer that question

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

why dont you just use your experience in mens bathrooms to answer that question

are you saying he's so straight he fixes glory holes?

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

are you saying he's so straight he fixes glory holes?

he says he has a wife

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the wit of a down and dirty duck fan on full display.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

Lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i just tried to watch Bad Boy Bubby and the archive link is down, so trying to jack off does not need to watch Parenthood.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

we'll see about that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rolling btw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tmfc posted:

we'll see about that

lol, lmk how it turns out. i'll still watch it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

tmfc posted:

we'll see about that

hero

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

https://archive.org/details/bad.-boy.-bubby.-1993.-remastered.-1080p.-blu-ray.x-265

get it before it invariably gets taken down lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

will have you something tonight or tomorrow! :)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Dirty Duck

Mild-mannered insurance salesman Willard Eisenbaum is a sexually frustrated goober. Through a series of happenstance, he runs into Duck, who leads him on an bizarre adventure with a colourful cast of characters to try and find satisfaction for Willard. They return home without completing their quest, before realizing they have fallen in love with each other, ending the film on a note that I would call "surprisingly sweet".

Despite the, uh, controvertial reception here, a lot of the jokes worked for me. The black guy, the two gay men, and the hooker song were all low points, but Willard's bizarre masturbation scheme, the manic car salesman, and basically every time a gun was fired all got laughs out of me.

Honestly for a movie that was as crass as it was, I wasn't expecting a story about how people mistake a need for relationships with a need for sex.

3/4

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Dirty Duck

Mild-mannered insurance salesman Willard Eisenbaum is a sexually frustrated goober. Through a series of happenstance, he runs into Duck, who leads him on an bizarre adventure with a colourful cast of characters to try and find satisfaction for Willard. They return home without completing their quest, before realizing they have fallen in love with each other, ending the film on a note that I would call "surprisingly sweet".

Despite the, uh, controvertial reception here, a lot of the jokes worked for me. The black guy, the two gay men, and the hooker song were all low points, but Willard's bizarre masturbation scheme, the manic car salesman, and basically every time a gun was fired all got laughs out of me.

Honestly for a movie that was as crass as it was, I wasn't expecting a story about how people mistake a need for relationships with a need for sex.

3/4

im glad you didn't watch my movie

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Dirty Duck

3/4

i don't think i've ever disagreed with you more, lmao. like legit one of the most unpleasant movies i've ever seen. i used to do high school theater competitions and i'd rather watch 90 percent of their worst performances than Down and Dirty Duck.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol I think dirty duck is a honey trap devised so that viewers who find Willard “relatable” could be added to various watchlists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol I think dirty duck is a honey trap devised so that viewers who find Willard “relatable” could be added to various watchlists

kill the Willard inside your head