Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Popete posted:

I'm in one goon game currently, care if I join this one as well?

Yeah of course, hop on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Won my first game!

I took the +1 order crown. Keep throwing Chain of Avarice at Beelzebub since he has the relic that let him starts at Marque for the first few turns, then he went Duke relatively quickly. Though I still don't think it generate that much tribute in the end. I think you need to throw it on someone high rank AND has many order slots to do multiple demand tribute for it to be lucrative...but then by the time someone got to that point you can just get the tribute yourself. I think it has no synergy with the default relic (increase tribute quality).

Beelzebub was the front runner for awhile. I was having success with duel in the arena, which keeps me in second. Actually with lots of bribing I never lost a duel and my dueling praetor even leveled up. Unfortunate, you are not informed of how much the enemy bribes or the move they used so it's hard to gauge how much people are investing in this. There was a lot of dead level 4 praetor though. Everyone else could barely scrounge up enough prestige to promote to Marque.

I captured two lv2 PoP nearby, so I drop the ritual that gives bonus prestige per PoP held and Elocution II which just skyrocketed my prestige, yielding close to 20 prestige per turn. I was soon in the lead even though people constantly summon angels and I had 4 legions wiped out due to angel pathing.

Ranking up to Prince and I was rolling in tributes too, so I bought up all the titans in the market to replenish my forces and have them one shot all the high level PoP on the map which further cement my passive prestige gain. At this point some of the players started to leave and I was notified the next vote will allow vote to excommunicate. Since I am 100% going to be voted I had both my titan one shot pandemonium and closed the market on the same turn. The AI spammed deceit and destruction ritual, but with counter rituals only very few of them got through (still, I lost 2 artifact and some tribute even with counter ritual and some levels in deceit, also funnily enough the first artifact I lost is the one that gave 3 deceit resist).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 4, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The +1 order crown is just the best relic right? Lots of the others are useful but that one just transforms the early game ramp up.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

distortion park posted:

The +1 order crown is just the best relic right? Lots of the others are useful but that one just transforms the early game ramp up.

Under 95% of circumstances, yes. But if you absolutely have to take a ring because you've got something in mind, the Amulet of Nobility is decent enough at spinning you up. Having Marquis rank as a starter lets you risk your 20 free prestige in duels and vendettas, so you get to Duke much quicker than you expect.

The Archfiends looking to rankup Wrath/Deceit/Destruction early might also find it good for the +1 draw that lets you search for particular tribute types.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Crown is lame and boring and gives you a huge advantage in the long run because early tribute compounds advantages later. The other safe but also sort of boring choice is one of the amulets that sets an attribute to 2, very useful for shoring up weaknesses and you still get to pick a ring. A lot of the relics are underwhelming tbh.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yes, +1 crown gives you 50% more orders which is absurd. Normally it would take at least like 10-15 turns to get there.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Relic balance is ok, there's still a good selection of viable ones. Bureaucracy should come with a downside like it only triggers every other turn or a resource penalty. There's only a few absolute stinkers, like the stronghold slot increaser or the blood vassal wincon.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Elocution seems to be also really nice. Since in multiplayer everyone seems to be bickering all the time, you just pump that free prestige while doing nothing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Elocution seems to be also really nice. Since in multiplayer everyone seems to be bickering all the time, you just pump that free prestige while doing nothing.

Hardest part is keeping a ritual slot open for it in early game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Been enjoying this game enough to start writing up some steam guides:

Relic Tier List

Archfiend Guide: Murmur

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Angelic Incursion is annoying me, after attacking one of my weaker legions for multiple turns brining it down to 2 health it decided that no it now wants to kill my best legion instead which it does, so now I'm practically down 2 legions.

a
Sep 25, 2000
where the goon games at (also I have no idea what I'm doing in this game)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Popete posted:

Angelic Incursion is annoying me, after attacking one of my weaker legions for multiple turns brining it down to 2 health it decided that no it now wants to kill my best legion instead which it does, so now I'm practically down 2 legions.

I would wager that it wanted to get to your best legion but the weaker one was in its path. Are you astaroth in one of the running MP games here? If you're who I'm thinking of I also found some very annoying behavior. Apparently an order to remove an attachment will not process until after the angel acts, so I lost my nice expensive new praetor.

a posted:

where the goon games at (also I have no idea what I'm doing in this game)

Make an async game and post it here. Or check out mapgoons discord, there's a channel there.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 6, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Belial actually. It kept attacking my weaker legion and then I think I moved it a cantor away and it decided it now wanted to destroy my better legion. If it is programmed to target your most powerful legion to begin with it could have just gone around and gotten to it. Just felt a bit frustrating to keep getting hammered by the Angelic Incursion for like 4 turns in a row.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Popete posted:

Belial actually. It kept attacking my weaker legion and then I think I moved it a cantor away and it decided it now wanted to destroy my better legion. If it is programmed to target your most powerful legion to begin with it could have just gone around and gotten to it. Just felt a bit frustrating to keep getting hammered by the Angelic Incursion for like 4 turns in a row.

Why would it go around? It wants to kill demons.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So do I!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popete posted:

I noticed that in that game too, I wonder if Astoroth will be able to beat it, certainly looks prepared. Whoever cast it got great value out of that event (unless it was you lol)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

distortion park posted:

I noticed that in that game too, I wonder if Astoroth will be able to beat it, certainly looks prepared. Whoever cast it got great value out of that event (unless it was you lol)

oh wait I am in that game you're talking about (no, it wasn't me either)

Nice job, Astaroth, but I guess we all have to think about where that giant ballista might get pointed next, eh?

I think the thing with the angels is that they're opportunistic like Eschatos says. Even if they target the strongest legion of each fiend like in the first game (which I'm not sure about since the text doesn't say that, but I guess observing their behaviour suggests it), they'll still kill anything that's on their way to the target rather than trying to path around it, because why wouldn't they? I guess they don't re-evaluate their targeting order after being deployed either, in case a fiend gains or loses legions while they're on the field

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Amulet of Archer's Precision (and maxed-out Prophecy) + Lilith's starter legion + Decarabia makes it hard to justify buying a second legion. All of the praetors that give you a double round of one attack strength give such glorious possibilities to build something that'll melt titans.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone found fragments worth buying? It seems like a waste of an order slot and because any of the more worthwhile ones take multiple fragments to unlock which you're not guaranteed to see in the bazaar it's just not worth it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Popete posted:

Has anyone found fragments worth buying? It seems like a waste of an order slot and because any of the more worthwhile ones take multiple fragments to unlock which you're not guaranteed to see in the bazaar it's just not worth it.

The stat boost/legion capabilities ones are, especially later on once you have order slots freeing up. I wouldn't bid on a duelling move fragment, unless you've got a plot that involves completing a manual and get one of the one-slot-finish -immediately ones.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Eh, the dueling move ones are all 1 page and very cheap. All praetor only has 2-3 moves of 2 move types, so they'll not be able to counter if your opponent do their research and prepare accordingly. It's very cheap investment to make sure your very limited irreplaceable praetors will never get put into position where they will almost certainly die.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Eh, the dueling move ones are all 1 page and very cheap. All praetor only has 2-3 moves of 2 move types, so they'll not be able to counter if your opponent do their research and prepare accordingly. It's very cheap investment to make sure your very limited irreplaceable praetors will never get put into position where they will almost certainly die.

The unbeatable dueling defense is to concede and eat the prestige loss.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Dueling moves are garbage. I only go into arena fights if I know I'm winning without the rock paper scissors. Always be bribing.

Other fragments can be ok. The seek manuscripts order is bad but if you have a ton of orders and aren't in the middle of a war it can be effective. Don't waste your time on it before you're at 5 orders though.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
If you put Seek Manu high up in your turn order, it tries to match fragments you already have.

So if you bias your pool by putting Legion upgrades, Rites, Machines taken from bazaar in there, you'll probably get SOMETHING, but you'll also have likely polluted your pool with loads of garbage by that point so you'll struggled to get any of the others.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Senethro posted:

If you put Seek Manu high up in your turn order, it tries to match fragments you already have.

So if you bias your pool by putting Legion upgrades, Rites, Machines taken from bazaar in there, you'll probably get SOMETHING, but you'll also have likely polluted your pool with loads of garbage by that point so you'll struggled to get any of the others.

Yeah, and the odds are still bad. Plus if you end up with bad choices you have to take something that makes your odds worse in future turns(1 part praetor manuscripts become the best choice in this situation). I tried going all in on page seeks a few games ago and it took like 30+ orders to finish 3 manuscripts(3 and 4 parters to be fair, but still a ridiculous investment).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kicking off another Goon game, feel free to join even if you're already playing in others.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popete posted:

Kicking off another Goon game, feel free to join even if you're already playing in others.

In it! The other goon games I'm in are both fun.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

im going to be playing a game with friends soon, based on peoples experiences what's the best setting for turn timers? I'm assuming the ideal is to get everyone together for the initial burst of turns, and then have them longer. whats everyone been doing?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Our Goon games have mostly been 1 day turns and that works pretty well. Sometimes we churn turns at a decent pace but having it set for 1 or 2 days allows for people to be out for day and still be in the game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

5 minutes for sessional, async entirely depends on schedule. But yeah if you're not sure go async and you can always group up and knock out a bunch of turns at once.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popete posted:

Nice little avenue of power in this one

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Seems to me that it's basically mandatory to spec into either deceit or prophecy (or maybe both) or otherwise run the risk of someone who power leveled deceit stealing literally all your poo poo

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Seems to me that it's basically mandatory to spec into either deceit or prophecy (or maybe both) or otherwise run the risk of someone who power leveled deceit stealing literally all your poo poo

:nsa:

Missed a turn in a goon game because I realized too late that although my laptop can run the game, it can't load into actual maps. Sigh.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah, I had a game where Belial went crazy and was stealing everything not nailed down. Eventually he stole my ritual table so I can't even cast expose treason (didn't stop a single cast anyways).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

pedro0930 posted:

Yeah, I had a game where Belial went crazy and was stealing everything not nailed down. Eventually he stole my ritual table so I can't even cast expose treason (didn't stop a single cast anyways).

lol I didn't know that was even a thing

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Popete posted:

lol I didn't know that was even a thing

You can't steal it but lock it down with a prophecy ritual. But yeah that sounds funnier.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lol. I got hosed by Mammon and lost my place of power. I was jockeying my way into position to hit back (poorly, I'm still bad at this) when suddenly Leviathan! Yeah, I'll wait.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Starting another 5 person goongame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
oh, so you CAN do multiple attacks in one turn if you have the movement

Getting steamrolled by Mammon was probably not the best way to learn that!