Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Dallan Invictus posted:

oh, so you CAN do multiple attacks in one turn if you have the movement

Getting steamrolled by Mammon was probably not the best way to learn that!

Was that me? Sorry but not really, couldn't just take the pop with your support bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, well played honestly, it was the last turn of your Vendetta and I had the support there to hold you off if you could only use that Infernal First legion on the PoP. Oops!

I should probably have run through the chronicles before getting into MP (played the first game but not everything is the same) but I'm definitely learning a lot at your horrific greedy claws.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, well played honestly, it was the last turn of your Vendetta and I had the support there to hold you off if you could only use that Infernal First legion on the PoP. Oops!

I should probably have run through the chronicles before getting into MP (played the first game but not everything is the same) but I'm definitely learning a lot at your horrific greedy claws.

To be fair, you had an excellent defensive setup and I had to invest a huge amount of resources, kill my own legion and get lucky to pull that off. I was just hoping you wouldn't leverage your destruction boost from the pop to drain my stats.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 11, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I was wondering where that other legion went. I absolutely wanted to kill it of course but I knew I couldn't in the time remaining

And yeah I considered the Enfeeble ritual, and with Lilith's boost and the PoP I could have pulled it off, but I thought adding the Praetor to the PoP was a surer bet with the one order I knew would process before you attacked. Impressive work to get around it all, you know your poo poo.

Not out of this yet of course, which is a cool thing about this game. We're only halfway through I think and I can see ways back into the fray.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp that is not good. I did not expect you to get wiped off completely :v: I should probably have helped!

Now that Dark Stalkers is a monster...

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I was wondering where that other legion went. I absolutely wanted to kill it of course but I knew I couldn't in the time remaining

And yeah I considered the Enfeeble ritual, and with Lilith's boost and the PoP I could have pulled it off, but I thought adding the Praetor to the PoP was a surer bet with the one order I knew would process before you attacked. Impressive work to get around it all, you know your poo poo.

Not out of this yet of course, which is a cool thing about this game. We're only halfway through I think and I can see ways back into the fray.

What I find helpful for close battles like this is mathing out the potential results in notepad, taking into account possible enemy actions, since support numbers listed in game don't take into account stratagems, or units that haven't moved yet. Basically guess what the worst possible outcomes are based on what you know about your opponent. I didn't take your praetor into account and I think putting that on your personal guard or draining the stalker's stats could have made a difference and gotten a draw in the first fight and a lost vendetta for me. After you moved into that tight cluster I knew I had to kill a legion to have a chance, since strongholds not giving support(unless you're Astaroth) was my advantage.

Actually after loading the turn back up, praetor on the disciples of lilith would have definitely resulted in a draw. The other factor there is that praetors on legions that lose die, whereas on POPs they switch control with the POP. I think that's a reason to never leave praetors on POPs unless you're absolutely certain it'll make you win the fight. And yes you're certainly not out of the game, you're ahead on prestige and income for a while. You just gotta get creative since now I probably have better destruction and legion strength. Or find someone else to bully for a while.

Last bit of advice: You see a nasty unit get in range, you need to put Lilith's unique ability on it asap. Whether or not you plan to actually take advantage of it, it's free and very threatening. It makes the odds a lot more favorable even if you have low deceit/destruction.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eschatos posted:

The other factor there is that praetors on legions that lose die, whereas on POPs they switch control with the POP. I think that's a reason to never leave praetors on POPs unless you're absolutely certain it'll make you win the fight.

lol godDAMNit

That is absolutely another unexpected wrinkle I just learned today that I'd like to highlight for the education of the peanut gallery, yes.

but thanks for the commentary, definitely! Now, back to scheming my comeback like some cartoon supervillain

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 11, 2024

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ClothHat posted:

Starting another 5 person goongame

Signed up! Just got the game yesterday, so still finding my feet, but I'm having a blast with the single player so far.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Totally screwed myself. targeted the wrong stat with an enfeeble ritual *sigh*

not only did i not take the POP but my legion has too little hp to take another swing

EDIT:

gently caress, how do I increase the power level of a power thats currently being boosted by a PoP? Clicking it straight up doesn't work, nor does clicking the next highest power level.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 13, 2024

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Totally screwed myself. targeted the wrong stat with an enfeeble ritual *sigh*

not only did i not take the POP but my legion has too little hp to take another swing

EDIT:

gently caress, how do I increase the power level of a power thats currently being boosted by a PoP? Clicking it straight up doesn't work, nor does clicking the next highest power level.

You're trying to raise destruction to level 4 yeah? There's no distinction between paid levels and boosts from pops or other sources. You'd need to have enough to pay for leveling it to 4. If you don't have 6/15 of the resources, get more tribute.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eschatos posted:

You're trying to raise destruction to level 4 yeah? There's no distinction between paid levels and boosts from pops or other sources. You'd need to have enough to pay for leveling it to 4. If you don't have 6/15 of the resources, get more tribute.

Ahh poo poo. That makes sense. I was insistent i'd be able to do it and it was confusing me. I think it was the other way in the first game.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is it possible to get more slots to Stronghold, or do I need to conquer more pops?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Is it possible to get more slots to Stronghold, or do I need to conquer more pops?

Only with the worst relic in the game. Conquer more pops.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol this game just decided it hates me. Last turn Mammon took my one place of power, Divine Incursion spawned once again right next to me. Next turn the angel destroyed one legion, someones Infernal Affliction destroyed another and then a random even chose me to lose 1 legion. I am now down to zero legions and zero PoP

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man, that sounds like hell.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
The great thing about having no assets is noone wants anything from you. Only duellists looking for easy prestige will pester you. Hopefully your enemies will now focus on each other.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Lol drat not a lot of troops around in the 24h goon game. Belial and Lilith got both wiped, and Mammon & Andromalius have only one troop left. Astaroth had a Hellfire ballista but it disappeared? So it's basically Murmur's Gorgon which is around...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Lol drat not a lot of troops around in the 24h goon game. Belial and Lilith got both wiped, and Mammon & Andromalius have only one troop left. Astaroth had a Hellfire ballista but it disappeared? So it's basically Murmur's Gorgon which is around...

The Gorgons come in peace! Just don't look them in the eye

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering what happened to Astaroths Ballista earlier because it had defeated the previous Divine Incursion. Maybe couldn't afford the upkeep?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

For some reason the upkeep didn't get paid, not sure if it was a bug or me forgetting to reapply payment after I logged in to change my orders after my initial set.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a bug in async games that occasionally skips a turn and all rituals/upkeep units get lost. It really sucks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could go back and review previous turns or battles. I had a legion with 20 infernal attribute and also the "infernal resonance" tag which says it applies half of your infernal attribute value to the other (ranged/melee). I was counting on that to defeat an enemy legion and apparently it just did not apply? No idea what actually happened and I ended losing a key unit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popete posted:

I wish I could go back and review previous turns or battles. I had a legion with 20 infernal attribute and also the "infernal resonance" tag which says it applies half of your infernal attribute value to the other (ranged/melee). I was counting on that to defeat an enemy legion and apparently it just did not apply? No idea what actually happened and I ended losing a key unit.

It only applies to damage I think, not the raw stat

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Popete posted:

Yeah you still have to win the numbers comparison on the other two stats to get any bonus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Despite being referenced in the game I couldn't find anything in game that explains or even shows your current Ritual Resistance.

Found this dev explanation on Steam discussion for anyone else curious.

quote:

Our Game Design overlords have told me you can increase Ritual Resistance by:
- Increasing your rank (your person gets 1 resistance per rank - this only works for rituals that target you yourself rather than something you own)
- Promoting the target (a legion gets 1 resistance per level, for instance)
- Increasing your powers (you get 1 deceit resistance per level of deceit, for instance)
- Buying and equipping artifacts of pride (the iron maiden gives you deceit resistance, for instance)
- Buying and equipping artifacts of sorcery (the goblet of the traitor gives you deceit resistance, for instance)
- Certain relics

Still would be nice if we could actually see the values.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If you go to Rituals and select the specific category it will show your strength and resistance at the bottom.

Note you can't select stats that you have no Rituals for, lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah got it, I was looking in the Powers menu for it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popete posted:

Despite being referenced in the game I couldn't find anything in game that explains or even shows your current Ritual Resistance.

Found this dev explanation on Steam discussion for anyone else curious.

Still would be nice if we could actually see the values.

Woah, so your own deceit and destruction resistances doesn't protect your legions or praetors? I had misunderstood that, makes them a lot better.

e: does Evil Ward not work for legions either? It would make it almost useless

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 15, 2024

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
No, the post says that ritual resistance from Infernal Rank only applies against rituals that target your archfiend. Things you own that have a level use their level instead. Other sources of ritual resistance apply to any ritual from the relevant Power.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm an idiot apparently and am still not seeing my resistances on the ritual page. At this point it doesn't really matter I'm so far behind in one game none of my rituals that target enemy legions/archfiend's are succeeding.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Popete posted:

I'm an idiot apparently and am still not seeing my resistances on the ritual page. At this point it doesn't really matter I'm so far behind in one game none of my rituals that target enemy legions/archfiend's are succeeding.

Bottom left, click on the little icons

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

distortion park posted:

Bottom left, click on the little icons

Its this. The resistance doesn't show until you've clicked the filters.

If you can't click it, its because your skill for that is 0, therefore you will have no resistance on it other than that provided by your Rank.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh maybe that's it then, no resistance. But I assume I get the rituals from investing points in powers which should then give me resistance?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man this game is great. I don't actually even care too much if I win or not. The great moments alone are worth it...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Man this game is great. I don't actually even care too much if I win or not. The great moments alone are worth it...

Every time I open a turn I'm excited to see if my plans worked out or not.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

I love that all the random events are apparently being played by players and then just backfiring in unexpected ways? Or maybe expected ways, I can't even tell any more after the latest Abyss Leviathan.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

distortion park posted:

Every time I open a turn I'm excited to see if my plans worked out or not.

Yeah, same. They didn't.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, same. They didn't.

Of all the ways for my plans not to work out, "moved into the wrong place at the wrong time so the Leviathan decides to swat you aside en route to loving up someone with an actual chance" is at least darkly entertaining.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, same. They didn't.

In the 24h game Mammon stole my Alien God in a Bottle and is now proudly displaying it in their stronghold. They also bought The Beast on the same turn that I excommunicated myself :(

I really thought they had been framed for the theft but nope, it was them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

distortion park posted:

I really thought they had been framed for the theft but nope, it was them.

Anyone playing Mammon is jacking people's stuff all the loving time.