Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In the end the most important rule of 40k is "they're your dudes". If you want your White Scars successors to be all gingers named Bjorn Bjornson then that's all that matters.

But yeah cool lightning bolts, jagged slashes and stripes in white would help sell the White Scars connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just make sure you don't have pairs of lightning bolts, which an annoying amount of space wolves will have

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Possible improvement.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just make sure you don't have pairs of lightning bolts, which an annoying amount of space wolves will have

We sure do have a lot of SW players locally who are very very into Nordic runes for totally innocent reasons. Part of why I was hoping to not totally read as SW, honestly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
brainstorming:

pick pelts that obviously aren't wolf colors. this is hard because wolves come in most natural colors, but bright orange pelts (esp with white markings, like foxes) or unnatural colors like greens or purples would certainly work.

work another animal into the iconography. if you are the space rats or space bears, you don't read as wolves.

make weapons look fancier in ways that don't look norse. rapiers, filigree, basket hilts. or cruder, more obviously industrial. sten or sterling smgs for inspiration. welding, rivets, industrial plate.

use writing that isn't norse runes. single letters in arabic or greek, Latin-script graffiti ("kil kil kil" is a classic), barcodes or other industrial marking.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Last of the rapid fire posts, I think I'm calling her good and iterating on the next model. Skin is giving me trouble so hopefully better on the next pass.

Cease to Hope posted:

brainstorming:

pick pelts that obviously aren't wolf colors. this is hard because wolves come in most natural colors, but bright orange pelts (esp with white markings, like foxes) or unnatural colors like greens or purples would certainly work.

work another animal into the iconography. if you are the space rats or space bears, you don't read as wolves.

make weapons look fancier in ways that don't look norse. rapiers, filigree, basket hilts. or cruder, more obviously industrial. sten or sterling smgs for inspiration. welding, rivets, industrial plate.

use writing that isn't norse runes. single letters in arabic or greek, Latin-script graffiti ("kil kil kil" is a classic), barcodes or other industrial marking.

I thought about a fox pelt for this one - might do that on the melta gunner instead. Like these ideas overall. I may end up trying a barcode on the next model... I'll leave this one unvarnished for the moment in case I like it and come back.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
FINALLY finished my last infiltrator!

I imagine that guy is very fast, I suspect he moves around like a tiny armored core

And here's a family photo, with the rest of his squad

Now I can move on to some pallet cleanser projects, before I eventually paint some more raven guard termies or probably my jump pack captain

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think I'm calling her good

I am also calling her good, this rules!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So when grabbing some paints I accidentally got a pot of Dawnstone Air instead of the regular kind. Is this still useable at all with brushes?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Axetrain posted:

So when grabbing some paints I accidentally got a pot of Dawnstone Air instead of the regular kind. Is this still useable at all with brushes?

Yeah the air paints are fine, they're just a little more diluted. Worst case, you may have to do a couple coats, but I actually like it better anyway because it's not as thick.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The 3 new signature sets from Monument Hobbies (Pro Acryl) are available today if you’ve been waiting to pick them up

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My hands and elbows hurt but I hammered out one of the kill team leaders in a bit over one session (couple coats of the blue last night, rest of the blue and everything else today).

I liked Cease's barcode idea and applied it as a shoulder marking here, and as a chest marking on the previous model since her shoulders are covered. Went fairly light with the markings on this one, but still thinking on how to iterate on them. Not sealed yet either, so I can go back if needed. I think this guy is more distinct from the wolfy heritage, even if he does have a stereotypically wolfy head.

And yes, I see the mold lines, which I didn't see until after it was primed and ready. :smith:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I grind onward.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Working my way through the Reaper Henchman and Hirelings box. I'm already in love with this set, the poses are great and the level of detail is just right. These are supposed to be hired goons but I'd use them for player characters any day of the week.

I'm going to pick up my first metallics this weekend since the rest of the set has a lot of exposed armor and weapons. Also a thin file for removing the plastic seams (I thought I could get away with just using a nail file but it's way too big). Would have been good to do that before I painted these, but if I made any more excuses I never would have gotten started.

Kylaer posted:

I grind onward.
The color scheme reminds me of the old Lego spaceman line, which is very cool.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Five Blood Knights done. Boy that's a lot of edges to highlight.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I liked Cease's barcode idea and applied it as a shoulder marking here, and as a chest marking on the previous model since her shoulders are covered. Went fairly light with the markings on this one, but still thinking on how to iterate on them. Not sealed yet either, so I can go back if needed. I think this guy is more distinct from the wolfy heritage, even if he does have a stereotypically wolfy head.

Definitely looking less wolfy, congratulations.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

mellonbread posted:

Also a thin file for removing the plastic seams (I thought I could get away with just using a nail file but it's way too big). Would have been good to do that before I painted these, but if I made any more excuses I never would have gotten started.

If these minis are hard plastic, then the seams or mould lines should scrape off pretty easily with the blunt side of a knife. It’s easier and better than using a file.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
This is a stupid question, but I don't play any tabletop wargames so I don't really know: When minis come with small, irregularly shaped built-in bases (like some pewter models I've seen), they need to be re-based on a base of some particular size in order to use them in a game, right? Do people cut the existing base off? Or glue the built-in base onto a properly sized base and then disguise it with basing materials? Is there a "right way" to approach that?

I'm just painting stuff, so for the models I have that came that way I haven't bothered basing them (I haven't gotten into making custom bases at all really, just painting what's there for cast models, and using the bases supplied for models on sprues).

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A lot of the big scenic bases are hiding gameplay bases, ya. In the Loken and Abaddon diorama here (the 4th pic) you can see the actual base for Loken and a tiny bit of Abaddon's base blended in to the scenery

Edit: Oh I guess I answered this in reverse, this is for bigger display bases that hide gameplay bases.
https://twitter.com/Mattpaint13/status/1783797010560106870

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I do like how neatly Ursula's fancy stand fits on the base

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I finished up some Shatterpoint stuff:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

armorer posted:

This is a stupid question, but I don't play any tabletop wargames so I don't really know: When minis come with small, irregularly shaped built-in bases (like some pewter models I've seen), they need to be re-based on a base of some particular size in order to use them in a game, right? Do people cut the existing base off? Or glue the built-in base onto a properly sized base and then disguise it with basing materials? Is there a "right way" to approach that?

I'm just painting stuff, so for the models I have that came that way I haven't bothered basing them (I haven't gotten into making custom bases at all really, just painting what's there for cast models, and using the bases supplied for models on sprues).

A fair amount of those models are indeed intended to be glued or affixed to a correct base size, assuming you mean something like this?

If that is the case, typically, what you do is affix them to the base of the correct size and then add your basing material over that. The right way to approach it would be to get the end look you desire, but it can be hard to securely display miniatures with the small bases, like the ones above, so I would advise attaching them to a base and using basing material. Basing can be a fun part of the modeling experience as well and can help your piece tell a story.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A fair amount of those models are indeed intended to be glued or affixed to a correct base size, assuming you mean something like this?

If that is the case, typically, what you do is affix them to the base of the correct size and then add your basing material over that. The right way to approach it would be to get the end look you desire, but it can be hard to securely display miniatures with the small bases, like the ones above, so I would advise attaching them to a base and using basing material. Basing can be a fun part of the modeling experience as well and can help your piece tell a story.

Yeah that's exactly the sort of thing I mean. I have some Reaper plastic minis and some metal minis from Warlord Games that have bases like that. I was reading about the magnetic base storage approach, and thinking about how impossible it would be to get magnets into those bases, and that's when it dawned on me that people are re-basing these things anyway. I plan to get into basing stuff eventually, but for now I'm just focusing on getting better at painting. I already have an assortment of flocking stuff from some terrain, but no static grass and no real collection of random knick-knacks.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Lumpy posted:

I finished up some Shatterpoint stuff:

These are great! Your fabric textures especially are impressive, like Cad Bane's leather and pants, or Asajj's skirt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

armorer posted:

Yeah that's exactly the sort of thing I mean. I have some Reaper plastic minis and some metal minis from Warlord Games that have bases like that. I was reading about the magnetic base storage approach, and thinking about how impossible it would be to get magnets into those bases, and that's when it dawned on me that people are re-basing these things anyway. I plan to get into basing stuff eventually, but for now I'm just focusing on getting better at painting. I already have an assortment of flocking stuff from some terrain, but no static grass and no real collection of random knick-knacks.

people often just glue the whole model to a plastic base. you can cover it up with basing detail or just not, if you don't want.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

people often just glue the whole model to a plastic base. you can cover it up with basing detail or just not, if you don't want.

Hell, sometimes you glue the model to a metal base, like these:

If you're using thicc metal minis, putting them on a heavy base helps keep them from falling over.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 27, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the Old World thread:

Safety Factor posted:

Continuing to chip away at my army. This time: Dogs!

And the army so far:

The warhounds were kind of fun to paint, but they aren't great models and have more going on than I'd really want for 6 point trash. All of them have horns, pustules, weird little tentacles, etc. I experimented with some techniques for quicker blends between flesh and mutations. I didn't want to completely phone them in because these things will be in most of my lists, but I also didn't want to spend too much time on them as they're really just meant to get in the way and die. I think I managed to strike a nice balance and I'm happy with how they turned out. I've got 10 more that I'll paint in the future and I'll get some more fur colors into the mix. Maybe some two tone ones as well.

Next up: More warriors!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They look great!

My Plague Marine Killteam is progressing well, but I’m starting to understand the frustration of painting Chaos. Even in the later stages of the painting process I am STILL discovering tentacles and arrows that I overlooked.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

Depending on the base your choices for basing are

1. Trim integral base off completely and pin model to desired base.

2. Trim most of integral base off but reshape the bits under the feet into pins to attach to new base. IMO this is my preferred solution and ideal for minis with thin ankles not amenable to pinning or those who come with tabs rather than broccoli bases.

3. Stick the entire mini, base and all onto another base. Don't really like this as it adds a lot of unnecessary height.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sixty clanrats, or, no good photos, they're clanrats.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Does anyone have any pigment colour brands they particularly like? Thought I'd try them out to add another bit of texture to some bases. I looked at Vallejo and AK and was looking for something greenish for moss and something redder for Mediterranean terra rossa kind of looking dirt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Does anyone have any pigment colour brands they particularly like? Thought I'd try them out to add another bit of texture to some bases. I looked at Vallejo and AK and was looking for something greenish for moss and something redder for Mediterranean terra rossa kind of looking dirt.

also look at cheap watercolors

or expensive watercolors, i'm not your dad

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

ha, was going to say the Scale Modellers Supply pigments are good if you happen to be somewhere they're available... appears to have been discontinued since I last checked. oh well, at least I'm not likely to run out of the ones I have anytime soon?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

also look at cheap watercolors

or expensive watercolors, i'm not your dad

I thought it was pastels you could use, not dad.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Beffer posted:

Yeah, it's pastels you can grind up to use as a replacement for pigment powders. I've had much better luck finding a decent selection of colors at an art supply store or the little store at my local community college, but even Michaels has pastels available. You're gonna want either hard chalky pastels though, not soft oil pastels. Not unless you want a gloopy mess of pastel sludge instead of chalky pigment powder. Ask me how I found that out.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Make sure you know what pigments you are powdering. Don't want to powder a heavy metal. Odds are cheap pastels won't have the good pigments, but always worth checking.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Make sure you know what pigments you are powdering. Don't want to powder a heavy metal. Odds are cheap pastels won't have the good pigments, but always worth checking.

Are the non-toxic pigments considered "good" or more expensive than the heavy metals?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Are the non-toxic pigments considered "good" or more expensive than the heavy metals?

heavy metal pigment powder is a health hazard

Beffer posted:

cheap watercolors will also grind fairly well, or can just be straight up applied to weather/dirty things

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"Huh, it's all right angles and straight lines. It can't be that bad."
20 minutes later...

There was an attempt. The paint is already thick enough on this shoulder that I'm just leaving it. I'm not stripping the whole guy for lopsided freehand.
If my brush would stop fraying on me every 5 seconds that would really help. Also if Thousand Sons Blue was not the most transparent "base" paint GW offers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

heavy metal pigment powder is a health hazard

Yeah I am aware of that. Just wondering whether buying cheap pastels would be more likely to get you toxic stuff or if the heavy metal stuff is actually more expensive and harder to source. Or if they don't ever get made into pastels in the first place.

I am sure there are purists out there who would insist on using "original" pigments no matter how toxic they are.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Oh sorry, I sometimes forget what is common knowledge I guess. Generally artists consider cheap non-toxic pastels to be bad, and the one containing traditional pigments (often heavy metals) to be the good ones. If you are powdering them get the non-toxic cheap stuff. Just make sure to check your pigments anyways, and then still treat it as a standard dust hazard.

Good to remember those cheap pastels are usually mass-produced in the third world for pennies. I'd never truly trust the non-toxic labelling on something, but if they are dirt cheap you can be fairly sure they aren't putting in the expensive heavy metals at least. I personally know one artist that got cadmium poisoning from paints they bought in bulk on aliexpress years ago. She had terrible safety practices, licked brushes, ate in our studio space and all that. Something from your local art supplier should be far more trustworthy, and if it isn't and you get hurt the manufacturer might be held responsible.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah I am aware of that. Just wondering whether buying cheap pastels would be more likely to get you toxic stuff or if the heavy metal stuff is actually more expensive and harder to source. Or if they don't ever get made into pastels in the first place.

I am sure there are purists out there who would insist on using "original" pigments no matter how toxic they are.

I'm that purist haha. I have a full set of hand blended oil paints using only the pigments available in the renaissance. I don't really think it looks better than newer pigments, but a traditional palette gives a strong unified aesthetic that I like. IMO too many people just buy a million different tubes of paint and use them with no thought to building a colour palette. It doesn't need to be traditional, but color choice should be deliberate.

I have some very toxic paints, a mercury red possibly being the worst, as well as lead white and naples yellow. I also work with heavy metals at my job, mostly cobalt, copper, and various chromium compounds. These are all very dangerous materials and they must be treated with respect, but you can absolutely use them perfectly safely. I find the people who get into the most trouble are those that see safety as black and white, dividing materials into mental categories of safe vs unsafe, when in fact safety is more a spectrum. Something as inert as silica can kill you in as little as ten years if you encounter it daily as a crystalline dust.

Art supplies are fun in that you can just buy stuff over the counter that would require extensive mandatory safety training if you were to encounter them in the workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I didn't know about using chalky watercolours as pigment, although I had a suspicion there was a way to get pigment colours without paying miniature paint companies a lot of money for them. Thanks thread!

I'll go check out Michaels and see what I can find. Sadly all the little cool art stores around here have closed down since COVID. I'm lucky the hobby store is still around.