Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Also from the schad thread, the moss terrarium kit and instructions I made for SASS 2014.

I have a bunch of terrariums that I will post later once I take some good pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have pill bugs and little centipedes from harvested moss in my 10 gallon terrarium.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Some of my terrariums:

This one is probably 5+ years old. It's been on a bottom shelf in the plant room unopened for three years and gets mostly indirect light. The lid is a glass plate from the thrift store that just happened to fit perfectly. No bugs. I will continue to ignore this one.

10+ years old, 10 gallon former aquarium. It gets water added occasionally because the lid isn't airtight and has some pill bugs and little centipedes from outdoor moss. I need to put in some fresh moss and bugs though. There's also a moss bottle on top with the air plants.

One of my three water terrariums, 3 years old. I think there might be a couple snails in there? The only maintenance this gets is an occasional water top off. A lot of the duckweed is dead so I'll probably scoop it out and put some salvinia in.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
More water stuff. The water terrariums are made with aquarium water. The plant is an anubias.

I don't know how old this one is. Probably another over 5 years? There are some ramshorn snails in here.

1.5ish years, basically a failure but that one strand of grass is still green so I haven't broken it down. I put in a little snail but it died eventually and I never replaced it.

2.5ish years. This is a Walstad tank. There's a heater and an air stone for water movement, but no filter. The only maintenance I do it is top it off every couple weeks, do a 25% water change three or four times a year, and pull out huge amounts of plants whenever it gets to the point there's more plants than water. Right now I have 10 neon tetras, three types of snail, neocardinia shrimp, and a nine year old kuhli loach.

edit: I just found a video featuring Diana Walstad herself talking about setting up one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwhQ0-60w0