Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
i keep killing plants but im gonna find a way to make a moss terrarium somehow this weekend. thats my new project. (or at least starting one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I made a moss terrarium today after doing a bit of walking around parks/trails in Los Angeles. I also got a venus flytrap and pit it in there. I did the whole perlite/spagnum moss mixture below the moss which I used for the "topsoil" and then dug a little hole to put the VFT into. I did about an inch of small pebbles for the false bottom, and used a very thin cloth that I stuck a gazillion holes into to allow excess moisture to pass through.

im also terrified of posting pics, lest you all find my mistakes and explain to me why this thing is doomed to fail, because im so proud of it right now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fishstick posted:

Flytraps should do great in a mossarium as long as they have good draining soil which it sounds like you did!

Post the pics

I think I need more bark in the background. We’ll see how it survives as a proof of concept. I’m hoping there some springtails in there but I haven’t seen any :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fishstick posted:

I like it a lot! I wouldnt mess with it, sometimes less is more. The tiny jars can get crowded easily and it's nice and bright now, and the bark you have now with those square cuts goes well with the angled jar, and you got some nice layering going.

Re: bugs if it's "wild" moss with some soil its most likely gonna have some fungus gnats for the flytrap to snack on already, if you can I'd still always recommend springtails just for the maintenance - and I think unlike easier-to-find isopods they won't trigger your flytrap.
i literally dug up some rocks today, found a tiny slug thing, fed it to the flytrap. i read somewhere that these things don't apparently need to eat all that much. my mistake as a teenager (aside from feeding every single open trap) was that I lived in a desert and didn't put it in a tiny humidity chamber like this one. and yeah im considering springtails, mostly for their cleanup crew skills and hopeful inability to trigger traps.

I want to get another terrarium set up before I do so, because I feel like buying a small container of them is gonna be massive overkill for my one jar. I watched enough youtube today to realize that I can keep them in the container they come in and just feed them an individual grain of rice every few days, but I dunno, I feel weird having so many in "holding".

Something I want to know is how many weeks i have to wait until I know its "safe". enthusiasm is high at the moment to keep building more terrariums, but I dont want to get like, 3-4 terrariums set up in the span of a month and have them all die from the same mistake I made, ya know?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hmm so I picked up some nerve plants and a string of turtles and these are pretty massive for my size enclosures. I did what I could to split them off a bit into clumps but ugh. Kinda sucky that I had a certain build idea in mind, then when it came to placement and arranging everything, it didn’t quite “work”. Internet said I could gently split these apart safely but we’ll see how both the plants survive, as I only used like 10% of my string of turtles and maybe 30% of my nerve plant.

Further complicating this new terrarium is that the nice wooden lid blocks a lot of light for the nerve plant. That didn’t become super apparent until the build was done. I really don’t wanna use plastic wrap. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Also I noticed that thrift stores like Goodwill seem to overprice their glassware quite a bit. I spent a whole day last week traveling through a SoCal Goodwill locations and kept coming up short of seeing things that were too expensive for how much compromises I’d have to make. Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls have actually been good alternatives.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ah thats smart. Visting my dad next week, he'll have the tools to accomplish that. finding acrylic will be the easy part. thanks goon!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Got my dad into moss terrariums during my stay. Just arrived yesterday, but we already got some substrate and mixed it up, he has some wood hes collected that he wants to incorporate into the first terrarium we make. He already so happens to have a lot of glass enclosures that fit the bill just fine. Just drove to the foothills and picked up some neato moss earlier today. Hes been going through some real tough issues with his parents & siblings so this has been good father/son time to get his mind on other things.

Im hoping this sticks with him. Hes an antique/garage sale guy and goes to nurseries on the reg, so I hope this becomes a thing where he has multiple terrariums set up next time when I visit in August.

Dunno if it’ll be photo-ready by the time i leave on Wednesday, but I’ll post it when its done, I think it already looks much better than the two moss terrariums I did on my own.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What’s a good humidity level for these mossariums? My dad has jumped headfirst into this and wants to get scientific so he bought little humidity sensors and the terrarium we both built during my visit here is reading 99%. Going off nothing but a hunch, that feels a little high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Craigslist came in clutch with springtails today. bought some from a young nerdy guy out of the local university. The pet store back in my hometown was asking $25 for an incredibly tiny culture, and the guy I met was asking $8 but I threw in a few extra bucks for some charcoal on the side and for his patience with me. He has a whole grow opp in his dorm room and when I get more confident/set up in this, gonna buy some rolly pollys/isopods from him.

Here's something me and Buglord Sr. worked on when I visited the family

Not totally wild about the moss on top of the log but Dad liked it so, thats what matters. This is his proof of concept. He bought some massive glass enclosure but I told him to hold off on populating this and let this one take off/die before he puts a lot more time and energy into the second one. There was also this real temptation to add more but I feel its a slippery slope to having a biologically/visually overcrowded terrarium.