Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Because of this thread, every glass vessel I see is immediately judged by its terrariumability.

Also found some mosses on a walk this morning near a local creek. No terrarium yet, but I've got a big Mason jar. Just keep the top open for now and mist daily until I've got a proper setup for them?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I made a terrarium. Few different unknown species of moss from an NC creek, a string plant of some sort, and a piece of driftwood I had laying around from an old aquarium. I see similar string plants in terrariums, so I'm hopeful it does well.

The container is a pickle jar because I was impatient and had it on hand - The clarity is pretty awful, so I'll probably swap containers at some point, but this is all sort of a test bed for now anyways. I'm gonna grab some spring tails before sealing it up, for now just open topped to keep it from getting moldy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fishstick posted:

It seems to have a narrow opening at the top so you can probably keep it open topped easily for a while, takes a while for a jar to dry out if theres no air movement.

The string plants look like string of hearts, which are probably not going to survive long in a closed jar, but I've never tried them personally before. If you want to stick with a climber (I think you should, would look neat if you can guide it around/on your driftwood), Creeping figs look a bit similar and do ridiculously well in jars and are very easy to make clones of from trimmings. String of Turtles, which are completely unrelated to String of Hearts and are actually a pepperomia, look similar too and also do real well in closed jars.
Oh man, I had string of turtles in my hand, and then switched to what I have because I figured it was closely related and I preferred the color. Well, we'll experiment and see. Almost grabbed creeping fig, but I felt like the leaves were too big for my jar.

Found some very tiny fern-like plants along the river today, plucked a couple and throwing them in the jar. Who needs research when you can just grab random stuff and toss it in?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm growing something I didn't intend to in my open terrarium (the white stalks). I'm assuming it's a fungi, do I worry or just let it do its thing?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fishstick posted:

Interesting, i've had some odd fungal growths but I havent seen those before! I thought they were lady fingers first but those dont have those feathery caps.

If its an open jar and youve got some springtails or 'pods I wouldn't worry about it, those fruiting bodies don't generally stick around long and you can often find springtails just swarming em. Next few times you mist you can use some chamomille tea that will make it a little harder for fungus to stick around but won't harm moss or plantlife.

I don't usually clean fungus and a big fungal explosion is almost to be expected the first few weeks, it can be a bit aesthetically displeasing with some wood molds but most of the time they're benign to your plants/mosses.
I haven't purchased any springtails yet, but I saw some sorta tiny critter crawling around yesterday, so hopefully I had a couple hitch a ride on some of my moss. I'll keep an eye on this, but fortunately it's on a bit of moss that's still sitting on the substrate I collected it on, so worst case I can pull it out easily.