Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Did you know Winter is not the best time to try to get moss? Frozen ground, who would have thought?:v: Also apparently hot glue doesn't stick to glass well, so I need to figure out a top. Thank you for posting this, I liked the derail in the shad thread!

Tried it and I kind of just free balled it. I got gravel and sphagnum and just kinda ran with that. I'm mostly curious what the chances of detritivores appearing from backyard harvested moss is. NH if that helps, although I figured it was a good general question.

Kind of crap but I'll get there. I have a few ideas at the very least!

_____! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_____!
May 2, 2004

Oh yeah definitely ignore the 2 on the sides - I was trying to err on the side of caution so as to not hurt the roots. Very much just experimenting and figuring it out on those first ones. If it stops raining today I may dump those and start over.

I couldn't find coco fiber and got rid of most of the dirt on the main one in the picture (definitely not all of it) so most of the dirt you see in it is sphagnum. Very relieved to hear I can go with less since the whole point is to see inside of it!

How thin of a layer of sphagnum/gravel can you get away with? How much soil should I leave attached for that thicker moss? All the ones in this thread look like very thin layers but I wasn't sure how much of that was it compacting over time. As for leaving wood out to attract detritivores I live in the woods so there's plenty of that just laying around!

_____! fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 28, 2024

_____!
May 2, 2004

No bugs yet, just some mold on a plant I added and the rock next to it (well I swapped the rock in the picture with one I pilfered from a nearby creek). It's winter here so some of the leaves were dead so no shock there. Some of the moss has, for lack of a better term, closed up (like an unopened bud). I left the top of the jar ajar to dry it a bit so we'll see how it goes!

Hopefully round 2 this weekend goes better from the suggestions y'all gave me. I'll also be scavenging some dead wood in the hopes I can find some sleepy springtails. My plan is to sort of get something going like the intersection between a zen garden and mossarium.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Looking good! Hope your pet store has springtails, the one I went to did not.