Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

My quick look at reaction videos and, my god, media literacy is dead.

Of course every single one is irked at no battle.

But also, they are confused about the flash-forwards, forgetting that the episode title is Dream of a Dream.

"Oh, Blackthorne converted to Catholicism?!" When they see him holding the rosary/cross. Yeesh.

"I went to the dog park today and rolled around in the dog poo poo, and I cannot believe that dog poo poo smells as terrible as it always does. I'm very distressed and was not expecting this outcome at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
A question that maybe book readers would know more, but why would Toronaga keep burning Anjin ship to prevent him from leaving? I know he was using him to confuse his enemies, but why not let the man leave or whatever after achieving his victory?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Miss Mowcher posted:

A question that maybe book readers would know more, but why would Toronaga keep burning Anjin ship to prevent him from leaving? I know he was using him to confuse his enemies, but why not let the man leave or whatever after achieving his victory?

He likes him: he makes him laugh, and doesn’t want his jester to go back to Europe.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

We can only have a little a Sekigahara as a treat. :saddowns:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

"I went to the dog park today and rolled around in the dog poo poo, and I cannot believe that dog poo poo smells as terrible as it always does. I'm very distressed and was not expecting this outcome at all."

I have a morbid curiosity with reaction channels and how 99% of them can't grasp the notion that sitting there and saying, "What?" and "Who's that?" like an annoying first date is not exactly contributing to the conversation. Also, 45-second intros with travel vlog-style music. It's funny that none of them seem to take hints from reaction channels that have 300k+ subscribers, who do none of that.

There is one channel that is two people just talking about the episode for an hour. Not really a reaction. They make good observations. So at least I found one. But they seem to have not reached episode 10 yet.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Popoto posted:

He likes him: he makes him laugh, and doesn’t want his jester to go back to Europe.

also prefiguring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakoku

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think it's up to interpretation a little bit, but given the fact that the real toronaga pretty much shut off Japan from the outside world and it's influences, my take on it is that he didn't want anjin to race back to Europe and tell all the barbarians there how rich and awesome the Japans are.

Going back to the map scene, it's the one time we see toronaga completely caught off guard with the revelation that the Portuguese have essentially claimed Japan as their territory. Keeping blackthorne in Japan solves multiple problems for him, and I also believe that he genuinely likes having the guy around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Mowcher posted:

He wants Blackthorne to build him a modernized western-style armada to secure his naval power. Also Blackthorne barely survived the trip to Japan with five ships and a crew of over a hundred. Trying to make a return journey will 100% kill him. So rather than let him be an idiot and die, Toranaga's simply made the choice for him. Also Toranaga doesn't want to risk Japan becoming yet another battlefield for a bunch of dumb jackass white Christians, and there's a risk that if Blackthorne actually makes it home to England, he'll blab all about his time in Japan and how he got to Japan in the first place, and it's in no one's interest if a bunch of Protestants come flooding into the Sea of Japan from England and Holland looking to gently caress up some Catholic poo poo just like Blackthrone was originally coming to do, especially when Toranaga's new shogunate is literally about a lifetime's span away from kicking all the white people out of Japan and locking the country down to any influence from the West.

E: beaten several times over

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Except for Dutch studies in Nagasaki.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Blackthorne is a westerner with extensive knowledge about the rest of the world who is not portuguese. Even if he's a dingus *and* a tom hardy impersonator he's still valuable as an advisor

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Will Adams did spend the two decades he had left as a trade ambassador with missions to Macao and the Philippines. So there's that. But Toranaga/Tokugawa kept him on a modestly tight leash.

Edit; or "Siam" and Indonesia. Wow the Wikipedia entry on him has been greatly expanded since I last checked a few weeks ago.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 24, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also his skills make him somewhat more of a high level civ advisor that can pop out boats or something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Toranaga built up enough great person points to spawn a Great Admiral, why would he delete him like a turn later?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Blackthorne is a westerner with extensive knowledge about the rest of the world who is not portuguese. Even if he's a dingus *and* a tom hardy impersonator he's still valuable as an advisor

I could get behind this. If I knew a dude who was a really good Tom Hardy impersonator, I'd considering keeping him around too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Toranaga: I will let you go home if you stop calling it "the Japans".

Blackthorne: ....gently caress.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Babe Magnet posted:

It also dawned on me during the credits that he tossed the necklace into the sea. he was only dreaming of growing old in england, my man's never leaving that island

I would love if this was a riff on how the Ancient imperial regalia was thrown into the Sea but I'm sure it's not

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The samurai fisherman speaking in accented English drove home how Mariko had mastered the language and the accent.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Wasn’t all the “English” actually Portuguese?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

snoremac posted:

The samurai fisherman speaking in accented English drove home how Mariko had mastered the language and the accent.

I like how the show subtly piles on that Mariko has a genius-level brain for languages and strategic thinking. Then Ochiba just bluntly calls her on it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

snoremac posted:

What does that say about her son's mastery? He had a British accent!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Rugikiki posted:

Wasn’t all the “English” actually Portuguese?
Oh yeah I forget that. It gets a bit confusing that Blackthorne is an Englishman who speaks Portuguese which is presented as English to the viewer while Japanese is just Japanese.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 24, 2024

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mantle posted:

What does that say about her son's mastery? He had a British accent!

lol

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Maybe they should have Hunt For Red October'ed it. Zoom in on Blackthorne speaking Portuguese and then switch to English as the camera pulls out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvwbxcRaCQ

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I find there are not really as many great books about the sengoku period in english as anyone might hope but here are some starters.

Steven turnbull has written a gently caress ton of short books about all kinds of medieval japan military history topics, here's a survey one to start but see if any of his others interest you more https://www.amazon.com/War-Japan-1467-1615-Essential-Histories/dp/1472851188/
This is just a random recommendo I read on a whim but this is a decent longer book that tells the sengoku story through the lens of the three unifiers https://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-Jidai-Nobunaga-Hideyoshi-Ieyasu-ebook/dp/B078X3MVBL/
Or just read an actual university level history book, this one starts with the lead up to sekigahara and goes up to the modern day https://www.amazon.com/Making-Modern-Japan-Marius-Jansen/dp/0674009916/

SuperTeeJay posted:

‘A History of Japan’ by Richard Mason gives a broad overview and covers a lot of cultural history so it isn’t just a list of battles and big names.

Thanks for these! Mason is free on Audible for some reason so I'll give that one a look first.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Negostrike posted:

We can only have a little a Sekigahara as a treat. :saddowns:

That battle was decided in advance by the politics, Tokugawa is probably the only commander in history to end a big battle with a larger army than he started with.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a fun trick how Toranaga is handled between episodes. Even though the surrender is clearly shown to be a ruse, between the diving scene, and access Blackthrone has to him, he starts to feel borderline down-to-earth. Which makes all the "no, this guy has all the power and knows it" of the finale bittersweet. He talks about Blackthorne more like he's a pet than a friend, even if there's elements of the later. It's a fun wake up call.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

He talks about Blackthorne more like he's a pet than a friend, even if there's elements of the later. It's a fun wake up call.

This is all conveyed as inner thoughts in the book, including the "He makes me laugh" sentiment. With a dash of, "Anjin is one of the few people who won't bullshit me. It's good to keep around a loyal vassal who has no filter."

And the show did a good job of vocalizing this as the conversation with Yabu. "Show don't tell" thrown out the window, because that advice has lost all meaning.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Thinking back over the show, I'm probably a 'it-would-have-been-better-with-Sekigahara-included-to-some-extent' truther.

That's not about needing flashy action sequences. It's just coming away from the series lacking the satisfaction of explicit payoff for story elements that were built up very well but ultimately never came to climax (like the regents' increasing unhappiness with Ichido) but also with lingering dissatisfaction over story elements that I think were honestly handled pretty badly (like Saeki - unless I missed it, I don't think the show ever established exactly when his huge army ceased to be a threat to big T, but presumably it either left some time during the mourning period, or the idea is that Saeki has implicitly switched sides by the time of the final council?)

A lot of narrative information that the show spent a good deal of time investing the audience in - the threat of Saeki's massive encircling army and the question of Saeki's loyalty, the diminished size of Toranaga's forces, who has ownership of the cannons, the Christian bloc in Osaka - proved to be basically irrelevant to the final episode in favour of Ochiba's shifting allegiance and the fallout of the hostages being freed (and I don't think we really got enough time with either of these to feel the weight of them).

There's a bit of 'ho ho, I suppose you Michael Bay-loving nerds wanted a big battle scene with katanas? You simply cannot appreciate the elegance and refinement of a quiet character-focused final episode which leaves you to infer much of what happens next' talk going on online, and I don't think that's necessarily fair to the audience.

For all of its excellent character work, this was also an extremely plotty show which I don't think always managed its plot effectively, and by having a penultimate episode that explicitly shows Toranaga's former enemies coming around to his side - even if that means a more traditional climax than what appears in the novel - I think it could have swept away a lot of those issues, paid off its occasionally faltering narrative momentum, and given more weight to the final episode we actually got.

Ultimately, it is narratively dissatisfying to end with Toranaga still hanging around on the beach in Izu waiting to accomplish his goals when we spent a sluggish mid-section of episodes waiting for him to get out of Izu and accomplish his goals, and I don't think that's evidence of superior storytelling so much as evidence of structural and budgetary issues which the show could never quite manage to resolve.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 24, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
heh, just realised the imperial clan in the show is called the minowara. Almost a portmanteau of Fujiwara and Minamoto.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

grobbo posted:

... Ochiba's shifting allegiance and the fallout of the hostages being freed (and I don't think we really got enough time with either of these to feel the weight of them).

I mean, episode three is mostly about a daring escape from Osaka castle, episode nine has an entire scene of Ochiba practically confessing her sister-like love for Mariko and asking her to not do this, and Ochiba warning the council to stop loving up or else. And then a scene in the final episode spelling out how this all went down and what Ochiba wrote to Toranaga.

As for action, with exception of the Sekigahara tease, the show had a good deal more violence than I think we're remembering. At least five onscreen beheadings. A whole bunch of horses and men chain-shotted. Mariko's stand in episode nine. TWO ninja attacks. Buntaro's last stand. Yabu's "bandits" on the way to Blackthorne's execution. A landslide. A boat race. A teahouse ambush.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 24, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love a big ol' battle scene as much as the next guy, but if you told me I could have a Lord of the Rings level battle but that it would come at the cost of the scene of Toranaga reading Ochiba's letter and seeing the wave of relief wash over him and all the weight of years of planning and hoping and plotting and striving just falling off of him... then I'd save the VFX department a shitload of overworked and under( or just un)paid hours of labor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was actually happy we didn't get a battle. I'm not a book reader so I don't know how it's done in the book but I was In fact kind of dreading most of this episode would be a battle and would short shrift the characters in the process. I was pleasantly surprised.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Based on that dream sequence showing the armies gathered I wonder if they had the budget left to make a good looking battle anyway.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

grobbo posted:

A lot of narrative information that the show spent a good deal of time investing the audience in - the threat of Saeki's massive encircling army and the question of Saeki's loyalty, the diminished size of Toranaga's forces, who has ownership of the cannons, the Christian bloc in Osaka - proved to be basically irrelevant to the final episode in favour of Ochiba's shifting allegiance and the fallout of the hostages being freed (and I don't think we really got enough time with either of these to feel the weight of them).

This is about where I am too. I read (well, audible'd) the novel a couple of years back so I can appreciate that the show was trying to do things differently, but I really feel like there should have been a few scenes somewhere in the middle stretch establishing the importance of the Osaka hostages. Really just more exploration of Ishido's changing/uncertain relationship with the other regents and Ochiba (who feels like a character they could/should have done more with overall). You don't even have to devote an entire episode to it, just a few more scenes here and there instead of backloading the importance of the hostages in episode 9. Maybe they did do this and I just missed/forgot about it in the interim, but I do feel that the show spent a bit too much time wheel-spinning in Ajiro.

Definitely enjoyed the series overall -- it was appointment viewing for my gf and I. Dunno if I'll ever revisit it or really think about it all that much six months down the line though.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 24, 2024

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

snoremac posted:

Based on that dream sequence showing the armies gathered I wonder if they had the budget left to make a good looking battle anyway.

They could just weaved in gameplay from this classic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogun:_Total_War

grobbo
May 29, 2014

snoremac posted:

TV really needs to take a step back from the absurd expectations set by Game of Thrones and return to the production standards of the 90s Sharpe TV series, where all you need to simulate the Battle of Talavera is 40 uncomprehending Crimean extras and a smoke machine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HannibalBarca posted:

You don't even have to devote an entire episode to it, just a few more scenes here and there instead of backloading the importance of the hostages in episode 9. Maybe they did do this and I just missed/forgot about it in the interim, but I do feel that the show spent a bit too much time wheel-spinning in Ajiro.

They definitely had a number of scenes making the point that Ishido's "guests" were maintaining his strong position, showing them attending plays and muttering amongst themselves about how they were prisoners in all but name, showing the one regent trying to leave and having him and his entire family wiped out as a result, Toranaga and his advisors discussing how there was little chance of convincing other families to his side while Ishido held family members in Osaka Castle etc. Ishido starting to stack the Regents with his own chosen people is important too, as earlier scenes had shown attempts to replace Toranaga at an impasse between the four remaning regents until Ochiba came to guide Ishido, the one regent was killed and Ishido was basically in his ascendancy from that point forward until Mariko showed up and rap battled him into oblivion.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I wanted a montage of what happened to everyone's real-life equivalents and a "Christianity was banned within X years" or whatever

someone give it to me in post-form thanks

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chadzok posted:

I wanted a montage of what happened to everyone's real-life equivalents and a "Christianity was banned within X years" or whatever

I was genuinely expecting one of those "what happened next" cards you always see in docudramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Chadzok posted:

The bans started only a dozen years after the show and by 1638 they got hadoukened back to the shadows.