Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Starbucks posted:

Anyway, time to do something a lot more important — listen to the new Taylor Swift album

You reminded me to check for you new releases: new records from Melvins, My Dying Bride & High On Fire, all in one day. Next weekend has new Black Tusk & Darkthrone. Exciting times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Tory policy: 'you lot need to work harder to make us money.'

Labour policy: 'us lot need to work harder make them money.'

(in richard ayoade voice) 40%….40% of all sick days are taken on monday and fridays! *jeers front the back benches* Mr speaker this can not stand! *cheers from the back benches*

uhh…mr speaker…i welcome the governments position but urge him to go further …

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the guardian continuing to provide great public service, headline on front page "Health People feeling depressed classed as incapable of work". Clicking reveals actual headline "Those signed off feeling depressed classed as incapable of work, says [tory work and pensions secretary] Stride", with him complaining about people with "minor mental health problems". yeah let's parrot what the government say without attribution that's not going to cause any problems. "feeling" depressed, gently caress off people are depressed

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Starbucks posted:

The biggest party in Israel that is not Zionist has about 6% of the votes, it would be interesting to see if this does change in the next elections in 2026.

I don't know much about the Israeli electoral system but I'm wondering if this reflects a widespread far right ideology amongst the population, or if the system itself is kind of rigged to favour zionist parties by design. Instinctively, I know that people claiming Israeli citizenship and moving from North America and Europe are by definition going to be at the very least 'liberal' zionists, I know west bank settlers are, to be blunt, insane, and I know the whole country is constantly bombarded by fash propaganda, but Israel is by now old enough that there are plenty of people who were born there, who didn't choose to move, who must be looking around and thinking :dafuq:. Surely there's going to be at least a decent number of them with the background to think much more critically about the state, and in my head that number can only grow alongside native born Israelis. That's definitely a demographic shift I'd be a bit worried about if I was part of the ruling government, and it's the only democratic route I see to eventual peace.

On a two state solution I feel that that ship has sailed. There was maybe a point years ago when the PLO transitioned away from being a militant group that, had Israel acted in good faith, something may have been possible, but I don't see it as anything like a realistic goal atm, it relies on mutual good will, and Palestinians are clearly, and with good reason, out of patience for compromises they know will be thrown back in their face as soon as they're agreed to.

Short of some incredibly grim, violent revolution taking on the Israeli state and winning against the odds, which is only remotely possible with the mass support of other regional powers, the only avenue I see to actual stability and eventual peace is a massive sea change in Israeli politics and the election of a government actually committed to that peace. If that happened, my pipe dream would be the dismantling of illegal settlements, an official move away from the pretense that Israel is a Jewish ethnostate, a complete restructuring of the political landscape that incorporates Palestinians as full citizens with equal rights, the absolute enforcement of those rights, a mass cultural truth and reconciliation programme, and, ideally, the creation of a new, secular, multicultural country encompassing both Israel and Palestine.

I mean, it's not going to happen anytime soon, but given my other point about the changes in Israeli demographics it's not out of the question someday, so I can fantasise. Current Israeli policy is just death drive stuff that is, I would hope, increasingly absurd to a sizeable segment of the population.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm wondering if this reflects a widespread far right ideology amongst the population.

Unfortunately yes, this is the case.

As for the whole sick note people who are ill, I mean it is not as if there is a drug shortage and people without those drugs can get sick or anything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MrBadidea posted:

My solicitors did the exact same poo poo yours was, and the seller was pulling the same poo poo on me.

And then when the day came, he'd done gently caress all to actually prepare to move out so I had to sit in the loving rain for like 5 hours watching his kids have to turn up to help him pack his poo poo in a rush at the last minute and bungle it all into a van. They were not happy with his poo poo.

I think this is a problem with the "new" tendency to exchange and complete on the same day as the buyer (or seller) could pull literally seconds before exchange. So you might pack up your home ready to leave but then the whole thing fails at the last hurdle and you have all your stuff packed up and on a van.
When my mum sold her house, the one she was buying pulled out (luckily not quite last minute but after mum had spent over £1k on a survey) but we convinced her to proceed with the sale in any case, put all her stuff in storage except what she needed for around 6 months & a friend was able to put her up for 6 months. And then she would be a 'cash buyer' and able to move quickly when she did find somewhere else. This was during the pandemic when being quite a rural area properties were supposedly running out the door in minutes but in fact weren't round here anyway.

(Mum was like 'why will it be 6 months, more like 3'. I said - even if you find somewhere tomorrow, and it's chain free, and no issues - unlikely given mum's propensity for buying houses needing 'work' - it will be 6 months could be longer. It was 6 months almost to the day).

Sick note chat:

So who is going to be writing sick notes then if not the doc?

Eg me - leg problem, if it were in the days when WFH wasn't possible, they're digging up all the roads round here so I won't actually be able to get to work as the buses will be diverted well away - and the walk up the hill to the office location following a climb up a rickety staircase to the actual office is very painful and means the next day I'm barely able to walk at all, so I would need a sicknote. Who can know I have osteoarthritis and enthesopathy - yes I had to google it when I got the xray report - in my knee except my doc?

Eg if you have a nervous breakdown from stress & need several months off work to recover (several people I have worked with over the years) - who issues the sick note?

Eg relative who has PTSD following 12 years of domestic violence - absolutely freaks out - palpitations, tachycardia etc - if an employer so much as mildly criticizes her? Who can sign that off except a doc or mental health professional?

Why can't the stupid govt see that improving health care provision including mental health will improve the economy all round even if all they care about is number go up? (Rhetorical q)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 19, 2024

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I just heard a clip of Sunak saying that half of the people who are off work have depression and anxiety, and that an increasingly large amount of those are younger. I wonder if he stopped for even a moment to ask himself what impact his governments policies, for the past 14 years and what he talked about today have on peoples mental health...

gently caress, He probably did and then just laughed to himself at a job well done most likely. It really is no wonder that peoples mental health is in the toilet with these demagogues in power...

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't know much about the Israeli electoral system but I'm wondering if this reflects a widespread far right ideology amongst the population, or if the system itself is kind of rigged to favour zionist parties by design. Instinctively, I know that people claiming Israeli citizenship and moving from North America and Europe are by definition going to be at the very least 'liberal' zionists, I know west bank settlers are, to be blunt, insane, and I know the whole country is constantly bombarded by fash propaganda, but Israel is by now old enough that there are plenty of people who were born there, who didn't choose to move, who must be looking around and thinking :dafuq:. Surely there's going to be at least a decent number of them with the background to think much more critically about the state, and in my head that number can only grow alongside native born Israelis. That's definitely a demographic shift I'd be a bit worried about if I was part of the ruling government, and it's the only democratic route I see to eventual peace.

It's the opposite. The older generation, especially of Ashkenazi Jews, still maintained some semblance of actual liberal values, but the Israeli population has steadily shifted rightward over the last few decades. Younger generations have been so inculcated with post-Oslo Accords rhetoric about how the entire world outside of the US is populated by rabid antisemites who would love to do Holocaust 2.0 at the drop of a hat that they genuinely believe in Likud's policies. The only controversies these days are about which far right party is more corrupt and whether a right wing coalition could be formed that includes slightly less corrupt parties being in power.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FiftySeven posted:

I just heard a clip of Sunak saying that half of the people who are off work have depression and anxiety, and that an increasingly large amount of those are younger. I wonder if he stopped for even a moment to ask himself what impact his governments policies, for the past 14 years and what he talked about today have on peoples mental health...

gently caress, He probably did and then just laughed to himself at a job well done most likely. It really is no wonder that peoples mental health is in the toilet with these demagogues in power...

No, you see it's not that Tory policy has devastated mental health, it's that the young are woke and coddled. What they need is sensible adults who know better to tell them to man up and get over it. Especially if they are a trans girl.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Israeli population views:

Having seen govt (not Israeli, not UK) propaganda very close up and way way heavier / more intense than anything we've seen in the UK so far - I am not at all surprised.
And while many will disagree with me, I do not blame the majority of Israeli citizens for apparently feeling as they do, particularly with the conscription into the IDF.
Demonizing "the enemy" is what military do - can't have a military that is sympathetic to those it ought to be showing no mercy to.
Obviously I haven't actually witnessed the propaganda Israelis are subject to but I can imagine.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Thames Water having a nightmare of a time of it in general: No worries, here's £15 billion to keep the venture capitalists from starving.

People in general everywhere sick and in need of support: gently caress off. Try working. Also, your carer has £6.43 too much money and your GP doesn't want the environment to literally end so they are both in jail now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There used to be (or still is) a guy on YouTube who was a London taxi driver who filmed his rants about the Tories/brexit etc while he was driving his cab. What was his name? I can’t remember it now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There used to be (or still is) a guy on YouTube who was a London taxi driver who filmed his rants about the Tories/brexit etc while he was driving his cab. What was his name? I can’t remember it now.

He's still on twitter and he's reinvented himself as an artist. He's not awful but it's very much of the 'haha look I've painted a newspaper front page but it says Scum instead of Sun' variety.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

No, you see it's not that Tory policy has devastated mental health, it's that the young are woke and coddled. What they need is sensible adults who know better to tell them to man up and get over it. Especially if they are a trans girl.

the great thing about the ideology of personal responsibility above all is that when your government fucks up poo poo for everyone it's not your fault at all but all 70 million people's individual fault for not personally finding a way to navigate through the cursed world you have created to become CEO of a multinational corporation. in an extreme act of kindness and charity the government will pay someone to show them the error of their ways and tell them to maybe try going for a walk and eating fruit and then get back to work on monday

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I know after everything that's happened I should be used to it, but seeing a fabulously rich man cutting the already cruelly small amounts that ill people have to survive on makes me want to vomit blood.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's a needless bit of cruelty from a failing administration of real pieces of poo poo. The frustration is that things can't even get better because the oval office set to replace them is just as small minded, petty and cruel.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

He's still on twitter and he's reinvented himself as an artist. He's not awful but it's very much of the 'haha look I've painted a newspaper front page but it says Scum instead of Sun' variety.

So what you're saying is that he could do cartoons for Private Eye & improve the quality of what they currently run

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I am only okay giving any money to companies if we get ownership, and that the shareholders get sweet gently caress all out of it. Them the risks baby.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I still to this day so not understand why anyone but the looniest free market fundamentalist would choose to privatise basic state infrastructure like trains, post, energy, telecoms. It's just not possible to defend technocratically because you can point to literally any place where they didn't do that and they have massively cheaper prices and much better overall service, and that's on top of the apparently controversial idea that maybe a country owning its own stuff is a good idea. British Rail might have been a bit worn out and might have had bad sandwiches but now I have to pay a fortune to not get a seat, let alone a sandwich of any kind, to go about a hundred miles away.

Also taking this opportunity to say gently caress you to anti-nuclear energy types. France has by far the cheapest energy in Western Europe for good reason and that's on top of the environmental benefits.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

blah blah unique generational trauma, blah blah you've cut mental health services to the bone blah blah. no, the real problem here is the loving WOKE DOCTORS!!!!!!!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Apraxin posted:

blah blah unique generational trauma, blah blah you've cut mental health services to the bone blah blah. no, the real problem here is the loving WOKE DOCTORS!!!!!!!

"More than 10% of people"

Wonderful clear copy there. What is it? 11%? 25%? 50%? I guess we may never know.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

You reminded me to check for you new releases: new records from Melvins, My Dying Bride & High On Fire, all in one day. Next weekend has new Black Tusk & Darkthrone. Exciting times.

Also new Bongripper today.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ThomasPaine posted:

I still to this day so not understand why anyone but the looniest free market fundamentalist would choose to privatise basic state infrastructure like trains, post, energy, telecoms. It's just not possible to defend technocratically because you can point to literally any place where they didn't do that and they have massively cheaper prices and much better overall service, and that's on top of the apparently controversial idea that maybe a country owning its own stuff is a good idea. British Rail might have been a bit worn out and might have had bad sandwiches but now I have to pay a fortune to not get a seat, let alone a sandwich of any kind, to go about a hundred miles away.

Also taking this opportunity to say gently caress you to anti-nuclear energy types. France has by far the cheapest energy in Western Europe for good reason and that's on top of the environmental benefits.

but have you considered the invisible hand of the free market (my stockbroker buddies) will solve all problems efficiently (by giving money to my investment banker buddies)

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

ThomasPaine posted:

Same poo poo as always. It's never about improving the service, it's always just to fudge the numbers.
If the government isn't on the hook for maintenance and they get a few billion quid selling it, then they can crow about how they've strengthened the economy.

Same thing they did when they started going hard on people claiming the dole: if you can sanction enough people and get them off benefits then you can claim to have reduced unemployment numbers.

I imagine they're gonna do the same thing with this proposed sick note thing. Stop approving claims and then you can say the number of people on paid sick leave is down. Get the headline figures without looking at how it's materially affecting people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 19, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'd like to see Boris Johnson wriggle out of this one....
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1781253765762314284

... oh. Maybe the next scandal will be the one that finally gets him.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Why look at the material effects of anything. The material world isn't real and only the spiritual world of pure profit matters. It's the lie we've been told to swallow for going on 3 decades now.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's always a grift, and poor character traits of others are always projection.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I'd like to see Boris Johnson wriggle out of this one....
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1781253765762314284

... oh. Maybe the next scandal will be the one that finally gets him.

Pictures: Boris Johnson before vs after he faces the consequences of his actions

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

DreddyMatt posted:

Same poo poo as always. It's never about improving the service, it's always just to fudge the numbers.
If the government isn't on the hook for maintenance and they get a few billion quid selling it, then they can crow about how they've strengthened the economy.

Same thing they did when they started going hard on people claiming the dole: if you can sanction enough people and get them off benefits then you can claim to have reduced unemployment numbers.

I imagine they're gonna do the same thing with this proposed sick note thing. Stop approving claims and then you can say the number of people on paid sick leave is down. Get the headline figures without looking at how it's materially affecting people

Oh yeah 100%, it's just crazy how many people seem to buy it. It's more expensive for the country than a well planned publicly run service would be. Like, it fails, and nakedly so, unless you out and out claim the goal is to funnel public money to capitalists. It's grim how this is constantly framed as a 'debate' when there is absolutely no ambiguity that it is poo poo and everyone bar the people profiting think so. But the answer is apparently more of the same will make things better? How long have they been saying that, and it never is.

Speaking of which how is Argentina doing under the AnCap king?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah 100%, it's just crazy how many people seem to buy it. It's more expensive for the country than a well planned publicly run service would be. Like, it fails, and nakedly so, unless you out and out claim the goal is to funnel public money to capitalists. It's grim how this is constantly framed as a 'debate' when there is absolutely no ambiguity that it is poo poo and everyone bar the people profiting think so. But the answer is apparently more of the same will make things better? How long have they been saying that, and it never is.

It's so ridiculous as well. Even under the most basic analysis and no effort from the government, it doesn't stand up to any argument other than 'uuhhh government bad private business good??'

Like, if the government buys out a company running a business, they can keep the entire structure as-is, make zero changes so nothing will get worse, the same people will be making the decisions, but there's no need to pay shareholders. Even in that very pared down case, it'll be cheaper and run the same.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

It's so ridiculous as well. Even under the most basic analysis and no effort from the government, it doesn't stand up to any argument other than 'uuhhh government bad private business good??'

Like, if the government buys out a company running a business, they can keep the entire structure as-is, make zero changes so nothing will get worse, the same people will be making the decisions, but there's no need to pay shareholders. Even in that very pared down case, it'll be cheaper and run the same.

And that very closely parallels the related argument about spending on services and infrastructure, which is always framed as if it's money just thrown in a black hole. No, you spend £X billion and in return you get 'things' that lets you do 'stuff'. HS2 was going to cost £100bn and yes, that was a very expensive per-mile railway (partly because of neglect to provide the UK with skills, knowledge and supply chain) but you get a high speed railway network in return for that, which alleviates a load of problems that are acting as brakes on your existing economic activity, and generates new activity because that's what infrastructure does. Same goes for services - healthier, more educated and less precarious people, even when framed in capitalist terms, are better workers, consumers and speculators.

There's a very specific sort of neoliberal mindset which doesn't even allow capitalism to function on its own terms. It's just about extracting maximum value in the minimum timeframe.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Miftan posted:

You are forgetting the dinners, holidays, donations and gifts that the government misses out on if it is no longer private and able to dodge health and safety regulations. The horror.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Chunky Mark?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

From what I understand, he predicted his policies would initially cause a massive inflation spike and a recession (standard neoliberal economic shock therapy, basically), but that it would be quick and short. So far the first part of the prediction has come true, and it remains to be seen if the economy will return to growth as he has promised or continue to languish. He's made cuts to the budget by ditching the government's energy subsidies and fixing department budgets in place rather than increasing them with inflation (meaning real-terms cuts), but the cuts could take a while to really hit ordinary people, so he remains reasonably popular for now. His major reforms can't easily pass the argentinian legislature because the establishment parties have majorities there, so I guess it's up in the air if things go tits up whether he'll be able to blame them or have to shoulder the blame himself.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't think chunky mark was even a real taxi driver, it was all a ruse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

I don't think chunky mark was even a real taxi driver, it was all a ruse.

you saying he was actually an Uber driver

and sucked you off???

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ThomasPaine posted:

£163bn.

That's how much the NHS spent in total last year. It dwarfs all but the biggest companies in the world. If you can tap into even a tiny percentage of that, you can come out filthy stinking rich. The public purse is absolutely enormous for the big natural monopolies you listed.

And that's all there is to it. There are people with the capital to set up a private company to do [health/power/trains/post/telecoms] and charge the government for it, and they know they can make billions off it. And politicians are disgustingly cheap to buy. Seems like £10k can get some lickspittle oval office like Wes Streeting to lobby on your behalf. All you have to do is promise some poo poo like Angela Eagle a job after they stop being an MP, then give them a directorship and pay them £50-100k a year to do nothing at all and they'll advocate for private water as their main job... and those figures are a drop in the ocean compared to the size of the public purse you're trying to tap into.

Nobody *actually* believes it's a good deal for the public to privatise this poo poo or sell of infrastructure, they just know that they can gain money and influence by advocating for it.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
- more money for us
- gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009