Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the JJ posted:

I think the Houthis are betting that 20000 Gazan children are more sympathetic victims than nebulous shell companies, international shipping magnates, and the general concept of the Market

to the general public sure

to the people that care about international shipping and the people that pay attention to the Saudi-Houthi war, not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

she's running!

...to the elysian fields of also-runs in the cable news talking heads stable

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Arrath posted:

I live in apprehensive fear for the time my corporate computer Spyware begins to monitor for that golden "just right" time spent reading each page of a document, as throughly described in Snowcrash. Ugh.

we already have this for the wonderful canned compliance training HR and IT foist on everyone

thankfully, browser "disable page infocus/outfocus" events at least lets me background it and post until the gremlin is satisfied that ive completed the entire slow voiceover after reading the transcript in about 30s

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

given the amount of bullshit legislation getting thrown at tiktok, can you blame em? who needs fancy lobbyists when you can enlist an army of children

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I think they are pretty openly stealing information from kids.

Those face filters can be used to collect a massive amount of facial recognition data.

this is par for the course for the entire software ecosystem though

you don't deal with that by banning tiktok, you deal (or try to, the europeans haven't been entirely successful) with that with a US version of the DSA, but congress cant be arsed to draft actual legislation to fund and empower a regulator

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to think that abortion rights, Ukraine, Swifties, the border/border deal he botched, and educated people seeing through the typical criminal and amoral bullshit surrounding Trump will be enough to tip the five or six states that will decide it, but :shrug:.

of these i cant imagine any being a wedge issue for trump voters other than the border deal

which i assume they'd brainworm into him torpedoing it so he can ram through better border controls once back in office

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, a stroke wouldn't be enough. He could be permanently paralyzed on one side of his body and unable to speak and 80 million chuds would still vote for him.

hey it worked for feinstein('s staff)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

MonkeyFit posted:

And that will be the status quo until we implement a better voting system. Ranked choice might not be the ultimate system, but it's probably our best shot at getting away from a two party system.

it'll probably still result in a de facto two-party system. access to party resources and endorsements is important for campaigning, and you can pool more of those with a big tent. on the other side of the fence, the way the house and senate work encourages forming as large a coalition as you can. what it does provide is elimination of primaries (which tend to have fewer, more partisan voters) and tactical voting considerations, since you can vote for a less likely candidate while still having your vote count towards someone else you'd prefer if that less likely candidate loses

presidential races are still pretty fucky due to the horse race and electoral college aspect. ranked choice at the state level for those won't help as much unless everyone does it, since you still have a horse race otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Biden and Trump should have a race to see who can skip down the stairs fastest.

Everyone wants to see that.

*dark brandon pushes trump down the stairs*

"...you win"