Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bills should cut their losses and trade Allen to the Panthers.

Time that Carolina to Buffalo pipeline goes the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

It's not closed as long as Allen is still there and not washed, but it does seem like they're punting on 2024 to try to reload for 2025

Clever way of getting rid of McDermott without drawing criticism, set him up to go 9-8 next year then fire him

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

He's going to look so good taking reps at the slot for star QB Bryce Young

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nodoze posted:

Diggs looked pretty cooked by the end of last year but he might have a spite resurgence left in him

this is what Im thinking

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
seeing bills fans upset they didn't trade him post june 1 but uhhhh that only applies to cuts right? not trades?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I’ll take Diggs for a 2025 2nd and the Bills eating $30m of cap space, gently caress it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Intruder posted:

seeing bills fans upset they didn't trade him post june 1 but uhhhh that only applies to cuts right? not trades?
You can't designate trades as post june 1st. The two teams would have to physically wait until then you submit the trade, which would mean no picks swaps for the upcoming draft.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bills are eating it this year but next year he will be completely off the books and they'll have $19m more in cap space.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

wandler20 posted:

Bills are eating it this year but next year he will be completely off the books and they'll have $19m more in cap space.

And a new HC.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Diggs has been a malcontent and a malingerer recently, from what I can tell. Just kind of bad vibes in the locker room. Thinks he's open on every play, throwing up the hand but in fact he isn't. Terrible body language if he doesn't get the ball. Fought with and criticized teammates and staff. Said things in the media and online that were kinda snarky. Doesn't take responsibility.

More importantly maybe, he started playing more poorly and almost single handedly ruined two drives in their most recent playoff loss, with two drops including a potential 55 yarder, and a fumble. Started dropping passes frequently, actually. Was apparently taking himself out of the game multiple times late last season.

Basically a very similar story as in Minnesota. I like the guy, I think he certainly has plenty more to give, but this move doesn't surprise me at all even with that huge dead cap hit.

I wouldn't give him a super long contract because it seems like there is sort of a time limit, say two years, after which he starts getting unhappy with things.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 3, 2024

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Play posted:

Diggs has been malcontent and a malingerer recently, from what I can tell. Just kind of bad vibes in the locker room. Thinks he's open on every play, throwing up the hand but in fact he isn't. Terrible body language if he doesn't get the ball. Fought with and criticized teammates and staff. Said things in the media and online that were kinda snarky. Doesn't take responsibility.

More importantly maybe, he started playing more poorly and almost single handedly ruined two drives in their most recent playoff loss, with two drops including a potential 55 yarder, and a fumble. Started dropping passes frequently, actually. Was apparently taking himself out of the game multiple times late last season.

Basically a very similar story as in Minnesota. I like the guy, I think he certainly has plenty more to give, but this move doesn't surprise me at all even with that huge dead cap hit.

I wouldn't give him a super long contract because it seems like there is sort of a time limit, say two years, after which he starts getting unhappy with things.

yea we'll see how long he stays satisfied but honestly 2 years is still worth it for the texans. who knows tho, maybe not playing for an old white dude at HC helps him be less miserable after a bit.

flipside, damnnnnn the TExans really went all in. it's exciting to see a team actually full court press into taking advantage of having a good young qb

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

yea we'll see how long he stays satisfied but honestly 2 years is still worth it for the texans. who knows tho, maybe not playing for an old white dude at HC helps him be less miserable after a bit.

This is what makes me very excited for Diggs: I think DeMeco can get him to buy into what he is trying to build. If we can get a year or two of good production and minimal off field bs then I think could make the Texans very dangerous. I also do not believe this trade precludes Collins getting an extension done.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

flipside, damnnnnn the TExans really went all in. it's exciting to see a team actually full court press into taking advantage of having a good young qb

Yeah and I can't blame them after the year they just had. If I were in the front office I'd be hitting the gas too. Stroud with (a healthy and tryharding asterisk asterisk asterisk) Diggs, Nico, Tank will be nasty. And uh Joe Mixon I guess. Zero first round picks is one of the only holes you can poke.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just recently, Chiefs and kinda-sorta Eagles won Super Bowls with a QB playing starter in their second year. This move weakens the Bills even if Diggs was disgruntled so it's even better for the Texans.

I think Texans being this aggressive is the right move. Even if they fail next year, they're set up to go again the following couple seasons before they have to pay Stroud,

Docjowles posted:

Zero first round picks is one of the only holes you can poke.

Even then they basically traded their first this year to draft Will Anderson Jr, which clearly worked out.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

What is it about the wide receiver position in particular that so many of the guys who are good at it are crazy?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wasn't there ongoing friction between allen and diggs? they seemed to click at first, but it just went rocky for some reason.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

abelwingnut posted:

wasn't there ongoing friction between allen and diggs? they seemed to click at first, but it just went rocky for some reason.

that reason is most likely Stefon Diggs. I remember during some game Diggs was yelling at Allen and the quarterbacks coach until they basically just walked away from him. I think that was the moment I realized he was probably done there one way or another.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What is it about the wide receiver position in particular that so many of the guys who are good at it are crazy?

I'm honestly not sure. It's a weird generalization that you wouldn't expect to be true but is absolutely, 100% true. Not even crazy per se, but just the diva cliche

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Play posted:

I'm honestly not sure. It's a weird generalization that you wouldn't expect to be true but is absolutely, 100% true. Not even crazy per se, but just the diva cliche

here's an admittedly too-cerebral guess: WRs (and to a lesser extent corners) are often playing a lot of iso/1v1 matchups in practice and in games. QB, OL, RBs, TEs, and even slot guys can always see - and often feel - their teammates executing the choreography of the play that they have a part in, while the cooperation involved in every offensive play (or man coverage play for corners) is a lot less immediate to guys lining up wide, so they have a different perspective on their role

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Eric the Mauve posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

imagine being the guy dragging your oaf QB to being considered a top 5 guy in the league and he prefers to throw the ball to something named Dalton Knox instead

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

WRs have generally been their teams’ primary highlight reels since they started playing competitively. Their brains are broken with non-stop fame and adulation.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There has to be something mentally warping about being one of the most essential pieces of an NFL offense, but also sometimes getting under 5 targets in a given game. Players need to have insane levels of confidence to find any success at the pro level. Running 30 routes and honestly believing you were open on 30 of them probably drives folks crazy.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Right. I think WR more than any position is one where you can do everything right and win on every route and then still have a "down" game because of circumstances outside of your control.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There has to be something mentally warping about being one of the most essential pieces of an NFL offense, but also sometimes getting under 5 targets in a given game. Players need to have insane levels of confidence to find any success at the pro level. Running 30 routes and honestly believing you were open on 30 of them probably drives folks crazy.

Yeah this is probably pretty much the answer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This has to be one of the most evergreen football tweets of the last decade. They just can’t stop doing it lol

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

:hmmyes:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It's super cool when one of them is actually open on every play, like Diggs was for a time. Or like, AB's 6 consecutive 100+ catch seasons. It's heady just watching a dude dominate like that. I can't even imagine what that does to your ego

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

D-LINK posted:

It's super cool when one of them is actually open on every play, like Diggs was for a time. Or like, AB's 6 consecutive 100+ catch seasons. It's heady just watching a dude dominate like that. I can't even imagine what that does to your ego

imagine getting like a page worth of emptyquotes. in fact that might gently caress up a man even worse.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

wandler20 posted:

*Mickey Loomis looks at this post in confusion and extends Michael Thomas again*

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Quarterbacks have to deal with insane highs and lows. Even if a WR makes a critical drop, the stat still focuses on the QB as an incomplete pass (dropped passes aren't really mainstream enough yet and the criticism usually stays local *cough* philly and Nelson Agholor *cough*). So a successful QB usually ends up being these weirdo broken dorks that can tune out the lows unlike that of a WR. Russ, Cousins, Eli, Rodgers, Mahomes are perfect examples.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

imagine getting like a page worth of emptyquotes. in fact that might gently caress up a man even worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Borsche69 posted:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Borsche69 posted:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Borsche69 posted:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

Quarterbacks have to deal with insane highs and lows. Even if a WR makes a critical drop, the stat still focuses on the QB as an incomplete pass (dropped passes aren't really mainstream enough yet and the criticism usually stays local *cough* philly and Nelson Agholor *cough*). So a successful QB usually ends up being these weirdo broken dorks that can tune out the lows unlike that of a WR. Russ, Cousins, Eli, Rodgers, Mahomes are perfect examples.

That’s Ravens Legend Nelson Agholor you’re besmirching tyvm

Actually I don’t really know what happened there, he was apparently a joke with Philly but now he seems fine? I can’t think of any egregious drops and he was one of the more dependable pass catchers on the roster last season

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nervous posted:

*Mickey Loomis looks at this post in confusion and extends Michael Thomas again*

Man, MT didn't even get a sniff over the last month. Dude went from a dominant possession receiver to just massive disappointment.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

Actually I don’t really know what happened there, he was apparently a joke with Philly but now he seems fine? I can’t think of any egregious drops and he was one of the more dependable pass catchers on the roster last season

Agholor had a lot of drops early in his career with the Eagles, played well during the Super Bowl season in 2017, then went back to being very drop prone in subsequent seasons, with things becoming even worse in 2019 when their whole receiving corps basically died.

Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_xVprVYBk

Hence why frequently when Agholor does something, or makes a drop or whatever, gifs of that guy show up, as it’s honestly the first thing a lot of people think of when his name comes up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

Man, MT didn't even get a sniff over the last month. Dude went from a dominant possession receiver to just massive disappointment.

Turns out a functioning foot and also Drew Brees were important to his production

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Freaquency posted:

That’s Ravens Legend Nelson Agholor you’re besmirching tyvm

Yes you can.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1711096195118997536?t=-7MOQLXKloptPMbk-LZNKw&s=19

Admittedly that was a day with 6 other Ravens drops, including at least 2 other TDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
You fools ruined it!

He may have broken like Big Bob during the legendary Raiders v Broncos game but now we'll never know!